NRL 2022 - MATCH THREAD - Round 3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Panthers v Knights

Preview:

Panthers have injuries to deal with ahead of this game with Brian To’o ruled out with a knee injury while James Fisher-Harris is also out with a shoulder complaint and the contest has come too soon for star halfback Nathan Cleary to make his return.

Knights claimed their second win to start the season as they saw off the challenge of Wests Tigers last week but this will be the true test of where they are at as a team.

They take on reigning premiers Penrith Panthers and while they are boosted by the return to Daniel Saifiti from injury, they have lost Lachlan Fitzgibbon while Kalyn Ponga is sidelined for the second week in succession.

Penrith Panthers know they need to be better this week if they are to avoid their first loss of the season. They were pushed all the way by St. George Illawarra Dragons last week and come into this with a weaker team on deck. They will be without their first-choice front-rowers for this contest and playing away from BlueBet Stadium could nullify their home advantage. Newcastle Knights have started the season in impressive fashion and while they may still fall short in this matchup, they should be considered likely to run Panthers close. They'll be hoping to do even better than that and come away with the Panthers' scalp.

Sad to say the only one of my tips coming in thus far is Souffs winning.

Teddy Not Ready

Rusty Roosters Routed

There is two things about the Roosters, firstly they are in rebuilding mode . You cannot lose players of the calibre of Boyd Cordner, Jake Friend and the Morris Brothers and not go through a couple of transitions season of which this is one.

Secondly, a lot of the Roosters are short on match practice there are two arguments about trial games and certainly you do not want to lose first grade players in Trial games but you also need gamnetime and several Roosters notably James Tedesco are well off the pace at present.

That said Souths were on top in that game, but premierships are not won in March. I will yet have my wabbit hunting headlines...

What happened to St George-Illawarra. The shire derby was not on SKY so I am struggling with the walloping in Wollongong. I thought things might take a while to gell under Fitz but obviously not..

What happened to West Tigers today.Iin what I saw pre-season though results were not going their way it looked like West's wwre turning things around with a creditable performance that faded against the mighty Storm ion round one but since then B~~~~r all . Madge is not the problem at Wests which is both long running and deep rooted still I expect the Headlines in Buzz Rothfield's Daily Telegraph to read.

Madge Maguire Mayhem

Glad to come on this part of the forum an oasis of sanity on TRL. I find the general forum is bit like this at present....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 hours ago, Graham said:

Panthers v Knights

Preview:

Panthers have injuries to deal with ahead of this game with Brian To’o ruled out with a knee injury while James Fisher-Harris is also out with a shoulder complaint and the contest has come too soon for star halfback Nathan Cleary to make his return.

Knights claimed their second win to start the season as they saw off the challenge of Wests Tigers last week but this will be the true test of where they are at as a team.

They take on reigning premiers Penrith Panthers and while they are boosted by the return to Daniel Saifiti from injury, they have lost Lachlan Fitzgibbon while Kalyn Ponga is sidelined for the second week in succession.

Penrith Panthers know they need to be better this week if they are to avoid their first loss of the season. They were pushed all the way by St. George Illawarra Dragons last week and come into this with a weaker team on deck. They will be without their first-choice front-rowers for this contest and playing away from BlueBet Stadium could nullify their home advantage. Newcastle Knights have started the season in impressive fashion and while they may still fall short in this matchup, they should be considered likely to run Panthers close. They'll be hoping to do even better than that and come away with the Panthers' scalp.

Usually go to this match but the rain has made the road journey slow out west so will watch on TV. Penrith heavily favoured in the betting.

7 minutes ago, George Watt said:

Usually go to this match but the rain has made the road journey slow out west so will watch on TV. Penrith heavily favoured in the betting.

9 mins . May in for Penrith at the corner after Luai grubber. Unconverted.      4-0.

20 mins. Young in for Knights at the corner after Mann knock on. Clifford converts.             4-6.

33 mins. Barnett sent off after late elbow on Smith's jaw.  Crighton kicks penalty.       6-6.

38 mins. May in for No2 after Tago grubber to corner. Crighton converts.        12-6.

Half Time.         Penrith 12- Knights 6.

50 mins. Tago in after Gagai fails to deal with a 5th tackle bomb. Crichton converts.  18-6.

56 mins. Hoy in at corner and converted by Clifford.                                                        18-12.

58 mins Tago in for second after a Mann grubber. Crichton converts.                             24-12.

60 mins. Clifford kick off too long and Penrith straight in at the corner from the restart

with a try by Crighton.                                                                                                           28- 12.

65 mins.  Best in for the Knights in the corner. Unconverted.                                            28-16.

72 mins.  Tuala in the corner for the Knights. Unconverted.                                                28-20.

78 mins. May in for No.3 in the corner.            Unconverted.                                                32-20.

79 mins. Staines in at the corner.  Crighton converts.                                                           38-20.

FT.             Penrith 38- Newcastle 20.

With only 12 men and playing against a wind in the second half Newcastle put up a good fight. Penrith did enough to win but were far from convincing.

Barnett deserved the send-off just for the stupidity. He takes out a player who was having no effect on the play and was probably Penrith's least important attacking player.

5min: Reimis Smith try chalked off for double movement. I think he'd already started moving his arm forward before the Parra player put a hand on him. Sent up No Try. If it had been sent as a TRY I think they may have confirmed it.

6min: Nick Meaney crosses in the other corner.

Now being sent to bunkhole to check Olam's run. Yes, he did change his line to take out the defender.

37min: Nick Meaney crosses again, Olam took out defenders again but this time try stands.

Papenhuyzen kicks it from the sideline.

Bellamy is smiling?? Quick, call an ambulance!

Storm 12 - 12

71min: Ray Stone try? I was sure I saw a knock-on. No, he knocked it back into NAS's head and it bounced into the in-goal.

Moses kicks it.

Parra  24 - 18

75min: then 3 tackles later Papenhuyzen scores next to the post after a break by The Hectic Cheese.

Papenhuyzen becomes the first player to score in 6 consecutive games at AAMI.

Papenhuyzen kicks the goal.

24 - 24

Archived