Jump to content

The future…..?


glemiln
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.totalrl.com/crunch-vote-ahead-on-img-proposals-as-reimagining-rugby-league-begins/
 

Proposals on rugby league’s future from 2024 will be voted on by clubs this Wednesday.  Apparently, IMG has consulted ‘stakeholders’ across the game.
Naturally, the voting result will immediately influence clubs’ plans for 2023 which will remain under the current league structure.
How it affects 2023 promotion and relegation and especially the future of League 1 clubs is my concern.

This subject is being followed on the main forum.

Hopefully, our club will keep us fully posted.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, glemiln said:

https://www.totalrl.com/crunch-vote-ahead-on-img-proposals-as-reimagining-rugby-league-begins/
 

Proposals on rugby league’s future from 2024 will be voted on by clubs this Wednesday.  Apparently, IMG has consulted ‘stakeholders’ across the game.
Naturally, the voting result will immediately influence clubs’ plans for 2023 which will remain under the current league structure.
How it affects 2023 promotion and relegation and especially the future of League 1 clubs is my concern.

This subject is being followed on the main forum.

Hopefully, our club will keep us fully posted.

 

 

 

 

I dont suppose fans were among those ‘stakeholders’ consulted.

 

Someone once asked me “ Why are the big stakeholders’ always the bid steak eaters?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There won’t be much for League One if anything. There have been 26 Grand Finals shared by 4 clubs that’s the problem they want to solve. Probably go for 20 full time teams and divide all monies between those clubs hoping they get a more varied Cup distribution. If they franchise it ,it will allow them to cherry pick. The remaining teams could be cut adrift to find their own funding. I really hope I’m wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Excolt 1 said:

There won’t be much for League One if anything. There have been 26 Grand Finals shared by 4 clubs that’s the problem they want to solve. Probably go for 20 full time teams and divide all monies between those clubs hoping they get a more varied Cup distribution. If they franchise it ,it will allow them to cherry pick. The remaining teams could be cut adrift to find their own funding. I really hope I’m wrong.

There’ll be nothing in it for Hornets, you can bet on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Excolt 1 said:

Probably go for 20 full time teams

If so, still 17 part-time teams (most with rugby league history writ large) with a geographical spread from Cumbria to Cornwall and with the potential to add new teams from UK and France.  Ultimately, a 20-team Championship?

We should know our value soon! 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In summary the recommendations are:

“A re-positioned calendar which optimises flow, narrative and engagement, incorporating regular ‘peaks’ of interest and a compelling season climax.

A calendar aligned with the global game to facilitate an international window in October and incorporate a mid-season international.

Participation in the top tier to be based on a range of on and off field measures, delivered through a club grading system with the aim of supporting financial sustainability and encouraging investment into clubs.  ‘Category A’ clubs will be guaranteed participation in the top tier whilst ‘Category B’ clubs will be re-assessed annually with the highest-ranking clubs occupying the remaining slots in the top tier.

Promotion and relegation will continue on the field of play between the second and third tiers with tier two increasingly filled with strong Category B Clubs.

An expansion strategy to be developed that targets and supports the growth of the Women’s and Girls’ game, and also growth in new markets.

Participation of clubs outside of the UK to be capped and with additional standards to support domestic growth.

Operations to be centralised where this can maximise efficiencies and drive incremental revenue (e.g. ticketing and digital infrastructure).

A new brand strategy to be introduced and aligned with the above commercial strategy.”

More details:

https://twitter.com/intent/follow?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1575114488080400384|twgr^4c51f614b4046ad848f12e7d1c6eebf4dd447bd9|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalrl.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjdgsport%2Fstatus%2F1575114488080400384&screen_name=jdgsport

Edited by glemiln
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can be done…but it wont because the owners have their aspirations to be part of the old boys club at some stage.

The last 25 years have seen no end of damaging proposals adopted with the approval of the clubs. The destruction of the challenge cup is the best example. Its been like turkeys voting for christmas.

Under these proposals Warrington would have played out the season safe in the knowledge that playing ###### didnt matter….they would still be there next year to suck up the big payments.

We already know that the ‘decision makers’ are wetting themselves at the prospect of having to share their riches with Batley should they do the unthinkable this weekend. So why the need for change if they already have ‘criteria’ to stop the ‘minnows’ succeeding?

Good to see some new ideas though…..like the need for a successful big club in London!  Thats been going round since the 1930s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing will change - I don't know why all the clubs voted for a seeded Challenge Cup - which simply means the final is always contested by super league teams - of course clubs outside super league get to play three or four games (with what ever the winning money is per game) but can never make the final.

All clubs in the draw at once would mean there was a chance of of a club outside super league getting there - but the RFL doesn't want a final contested by two clubs outside super league.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 16:06, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’ll be nothing in it for Hornets, you can bet on that.

Hornets could be a cat B team with spotlands better stadium than most teams in the championship. They could end up in championship with a currently championship like my club sheffield being force to drop down as i can only see us getting a cat c with our stadium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Rlsouthyorks said:

Hornets could be a cat B team with spotlands better stadium than most teams in the championship. They could end up in championship with a currently championship like my club sheffield being force to drop down as i can only see us getting a cat c with our stadium

Can we rely on being at Spotland for the medium term future ? The football club have done everything they can to drive us out. As I see it they won’t give up until we’re gone.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2022 at 20:34, Rlsouthyorks said:

Hornets could be a cat B team with spotlands better stadium than most teams in the championship. They could end up in championship with a currently championship like my club sheffield being force to drop down as i can only see us getting a cat c with our stadium

Yes agree, and Mazey has the vision to be just that.   But it needs investment and commitment to be a successful Championship club.   RL is is dying in the old RL towns.   We barely get 500 now.  Spotland costs half a million quid to maintain each year and no tier two or three RL club can afford that.   I don't know what the answer is, but last night, in the M62 corridor, our national team could barely half fill a smallish stadium having given half the tickets away for free.   Thank god we weren't left to pay for that.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...