When wokeism and sport collide

Tosh

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

Maybe you missed the part where I said the NRLW figures are impressive.

The TV figures for super rugby or the A-league or basketball etc are irrelevant because they aren’t paying the salaries of the NRLW.

so I’ll ask my questions again what’s the average attendance of a NRLW game? How many people attended the womens state of origin series? What’s the radio figures like? How many shirts does the NRLW sell? What kind of sponsorship are the NRLW pulling in?

11,000 attended the one Origin game. A record. I don't have crowd figures for the regular season.

Interesting set of questions. Almost like you've already taken a side.

How about "where is the greatest growth in revenue, viewership and participation?".

But let me guess, those things probably don't matter for some reason but some other arbitrary figure does.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm definitely all of those things 😉

But seriously, I'm just a realist and it's not fair to turn this into some sort of battle of the sexes when it's purely a financial thing. Like asking who gets paid more Daniel Craig or an actress from Coronation Street? He doesn't earn more than her 'cos he's a guy, no more than Sandra Bullock earns more than Ken Barlow. (Apologies if you have no idea what Coronation Street is) 

Well I’m a brexiteer and in the eyes of the woke mob I’m by extension all of those I listed 😂😂

I like you am also a realist and until the womens game in Australia starts getting regular 25k-30k for the games of the round in the NRLW like the NRL does, 70k-80k for state of origin games like the men do , similar TV figures,  similar sponsorship deals and similar merchandise sales etc then they expect a bigger salary cap.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

Well I’m a brexiteer and in the eyes of the woke mob I’m by extension all of those I listed 😂😂

I like you am also a realist and until the womens game in Australia starts getting regular 25k-30k for the games of the round in the NRLW like the NRL does, 70k-80k for state of origin games like the men do , similar TV figures,  similar sponsorship deals and similar merchandise sales etc then they expect a bigger salary cap.

I'm not sure it has to match the men's game completely, that might be a tall order. But certainly it might need to prove it's here to stay and generate more business before the game gives it almost parity pay wise. 

9 minutes ago, Pulga said:

11,000 attended the one Origin game. A record. I don't have crowd figures for the regular season.

Interesting set of questions. Almost like you've already taken a side.

How about "where is the greatest growth in revenue, viewership and participation?".

But let me guess, those things probably don't matter for some reason but some other arbitrary figure does.

So that’s 11k compared to the 64k average for the mens series and yet so think the women deserve not only parity for the match fees but nearly half the salary cap of the mens game even though you don’t have any numbers for their average attendances.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that they reason why you can’t quote me any average attendance figures for the NRLW is because they aren’t that great?

As for picking a side you are absolutely 100% correct mate. I’ve picked the side of reality in that market forces have determined the salary caps of both the NRL and the NRLW and I’m ok with that.

how about you?

7 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm not sure it has to match the men's game completely, that might be a tall order. But certainly it might need to prove it's here to stay and generate more business before the game gives it almost parity pay wise. 

Exactly.

At the current moment $800k sounds about right to me. Maybe even $1 million at a push.

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

So that’s 11k compared to the 64k average for the mens series and yet so think the women deserve not only parity for the match fees but nearly half the salary cap of the mens game even though you don’t have any numbers for their average attendances.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that they reason why you can’t quote me any average attendance figures for the NRLW is because they aren’t that great?

As for picking a side you are absolutely 100% correct mate. I’ve picked the side of reality in that market forces have determined the salary caps of both the NRL and the NRLW and I’m ok with that.

how about you?

No, I've taken the side of complete fantasy in which the women's game should be fairly compensated, proportionally to the men's. As opposed to name-calling when a women dare ask a question about being paid 1/5th of the proportion to which they attract eyeballs. They only account for all the growth in the game.

But hey, they get less people at games and sell less jerseys and beer and only make up 50% of the population.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

Is it not completely obvious that by enhancing pay for female athletes that you will grow participation, then the quality of the sport, which goes hand in hand with increased attendance and viewership?

From there you have a mutually reinforcing trend of growth where more and more women are playing and watching the sport bringing in better, bigger and more diverse sponsors.

Can’t really see the issue?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it not completely obvious that by enhancing pay for female athletes that you will grow participation, then the quality of the sport, which goes hand in hand with increased attendance and viewership?

From there you have mutually reinforcing trend of growth where more and more women are playing and watching the sport.

Do you think RL in this country could afford to do that? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

A realist brexiteer. Now there's an oxymoron. 🙂

I'm sure I'll get cancelled for this post in the name of free speech. 

You won’t be cancelled or reported by me because I’m all for free speech whether I agree with your views or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

From there you have mutually reinforcing trend of growth where more and more women are playing and watching the sport.

I think the debate is what is the right amount. The trick is sustainable growth. There are obviously lots if informed people that have different views on what this means. 

As a comparison look at women's football in England. It barely registered 10 years ago. It had a lot of investment and this summer I watched a major women's  final in a field with 3000 other people. 

However, as I understand it, the women's top flight competition is still unsustainable and making a loss.

10 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Some female sport in Australia operates on the idea that “you can’t be what you can’t see”.

Girls and women realise the possibilities by seeing it on TV and across the media.

So they put more money into the sport than the revenue it currently generates as a solid investment for the future.

The sports that do this appear to be growing their women’s game significantly.

If sports only pumped in what the women generated, they’d struggle to grow.

It doesn’t mean money should simply be thrown at it. It has to be invested wisely.

I think part of the issue is that the NRLW season is so short so they don’t offer a long season of high ratings.

Having said that, I still think they have earned a higher salary cap with their current performance… but I’m no expert in these things.

The women also mostly play as a double header with the men.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree but you maybe best take that up with Pulga who instantly started mentioning "boomers" and trying to turn it political. When it's purely a popularity/financial thing. 

It's 100% a boomerism. Nothing political about it.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I agree but you maybe best take that up with Pulga who instantly started mentioning "boomers" and trying to turn it political. When it's purely a popularity/financial thing. 

Ifair enough I'll stick boomer on the nonsense inflammatory language list, just below woke. 

53 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The problem is, and I've given you the figures, that the market isn't determining the value.

Do you know how much the TV rights for the women's comp are currently sold for?

At present that's likely to give the best indication of what might be spent on wages.

It could be the women's game is more popular now than when that deal was agreed, in which case you'd expect the women's wages to go up when the next (higher) TV deal is agreed.

Edited by Barley Mow

25 minutes ago, Tosh said:

They’re generally double headers with the men.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

From there you have mutually reinforcing trend of growth where more and more women are playing and watching the sport bringing in better, bigger and more diverse sponsors.

If they get fair pay then what next? Fair working conditions? Time outside the kitchen?

What is this world coming to?

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The question is can we afford not to do that?

Because there is barely enough money to facilitate the current situation in UK RL as it is. L1 clubs are clinging on by a thread, even SL clubs have finances with more holes than a tramps vest. 

If women's RL can grow and generate more money, fantastic, hope it happens. But I don't think it will be right or fair to divert money away from an already struggling men's game. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tosh said:

You won’t be cancelled or reported by me because I’m all for free speech whether I agree with your views or not.

Fair play.

I am definitely an old man and the world is mad. Instantly if you say something it gets blindsided by judgements on your character or politics it seems. I justbthink grenade words like woke are awful for this.

Edited by thebrewxi