Cycling 2023

I'll start off tyhe topic by saying that I think it's a disgrace that team-mates Matthieu Van der Pohl and Jasper Philipsen were allowed to retain first and second place in yesterday's Paris Roubais race.

The "Hell of the North" was held in unusually good weather and longtime German great John Degenkolb was up with the leaders group alongside current stars and favourites Wout van Aert, Matthieu Van der Pohl, Filipo Ganna and Philipsen.

Philipsen's a sprinter and there's always a bit of barging in a hectic finish; however the riders were 16km from the finish when Philipsen barged across Degenkolb and Van der Pohl pushed the German off the road and off his bike.

3.25 -4.00 in the video

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 10/04/2023 at 10:17, Wolford6 said:

Plenty to talk about this season

There certainly is. I can't remember a time when there were so many riders of such high quality.

First of the Spring Classics today, the Amstel Gold men's and women's races. Going to be interesting to see if anybody can stop Tadej Pogacar in the men's.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Dutch superstar Demi Vollering has just completed the hat-trick of the women's Ardennes Classics but Pogacar isn't going to equal that feat in the men's having crashed and abandoned in today's Liege-Bastogne-Liege. Shame, was looking forward to the duel between him and Evenepoel.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The UCI YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/@ucichannel - is showing the Track Nations Cup from Canada this weekend. Due to the time difference, I'm catching up on each day's action the following afternoon.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Giro d'Italia next week. The climbs tend to be steeper than in the Tour de France and, unfortunately for the riders, so are the descents. Much bottle is called for.

Remco Evenpoel and Primoz Roglic are the hot favourites. However, Ineos fancy their chances and I think EF Energy may have the strongest all round team.

First blood to Evenepoel in the opening time trial finishing 43 seconds ahead of Roglic. Decent efforts from Tao Geoghegan Hart and Geraint Thomas to finish 4th and 9th respectively.

Looks like a nice day out for the riders today in the Abruzzo sunshine.

Pretty ugly watch today in the Giro. Dreadful conditions in southern Italy with multiple crashes, Remco Evenepoel coming down twice but seemingly coming through unscathed.

Aussie sprinter Kaden Groves took the stage win with Mark Cavendish finishing a remarkable fifth after crashing in the sprint and sliding over the finish line on his side still holding onto his bike.

I thought Cavendish was just as responsible for the crash as the rider who got demoted. He strayed off his line and I was surprised that his placing wasn't also demoted.

Evenepoel might feel a bit vulnerable this morning. 3 crashes in 2 weeks, apparently.

Geoghan Hart and Thomas should really put the pace on today. Two big climbs and a sprint finish.

What looks like a gruelling mountain finish tomorrow.

Edited by Wolford6

On 11/05/2023 at 09:08, Wolford6 said:

I thought Cavendish was just as responsible for the crash as the rider who got demoted. He strayed off his line and I was surprised that his placing wasn't also demoted.

Completely agree. Both were equally culpable for me.

On 11/05/2023 at 09:25, Wolford6 said:

Evenepoel might feel a bit vulnerable this morning. 3 crashes in 2 weeks, apparently.

Geoghan Hart and Thomas should really put the pace on today. Two big climbs and a sprint finish.

What looks like a gruelling mountain finish tomorrow.

Thought it was pretty impressive from Ineos the way they got Thomas back to the peloton after he slipped his chain. They were going like a train behind Ganna.

Just started watching today's coverage. Looking forward to the finish at Gran Sasso, the first proper big mountain of this year's race.

Well Remco Evenepoel wasn't kidding when he said he didn't fell well during the time trial on Sunday. His withdrawal with covid means Geraint Thomas started today as race leader.

Shame Evenepoel has gone home but it's still going to be a really interesting battle for the GC.

Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany today but the weather doesn't get any better.

I pity anybody who's gone to Italy in search of some warm spring sunshine.

Big mountains tomorrow. Teams took it easy today in preparation. As always in the Giro, the descents are more frightening than the climbs. Should be a good stage.

Altimetria/Profile Stage 13 Giro d’Italia 2023

Not as many mountains as we'd hoped unfortunately yesterday. The stage was shortened due to yet more bad weather. Not a bad day's racing though.

Today's finish looks like one for the sprinters, if they can get over the Simplon Pass that is.

On 27/05/2023 at 17:57, corvusxiii said:

An amazing finish to the Giro and I'm sad the SuperG lost out. Having said that I have a lot of time for Primoz so not too sad. Well Done all!

Same mixed feelings for me. Heartbreaking to see Thomas lose out by just 14 seconds overall but pleased for Roglic, especially after the devastating last day loss to Pogacar in the Tour a few years back.

Amazing spectacle too in a stunning landscape. Looked as if half of Slovenia had nipped over the border to cheer on Primoz. 

• Haha 1

Just caught up with the finale in Rome today. Really enjoyed Geraint Thomas putting the hammer down to put his old mate Cav in position to win yet another Grand Tour sprint.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tour de France Unchained......the 8 part doc from Netflix is worth the watch. Covering last years Tour and spending time with teams as they prep for each day plus coverage of stages not seen on Sky broadcast.

Jumbo Visma talk of how to deal with Pojacar , Wout Van Aert and Jonas feature but Sepp Kuss never gets a mench even though he took Jonas up all the mountain stages. Some meally mouthed chat about team mates in Jumbo and Ineos.

Highlight for me was the descent by Pidcock on the Alpe d'huez stage , heart stopping.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2023 at 14:21, Stirlin said:

Tour de France Unchained......the 8 part doc from Netflix is worth the watch. Covering last years Tour and spending time with teams as they prep for each day plus coverage of stages not seen on Sky broadcast.

Jumbo Visma talk of how to deal with Pojacar , Wout Van Aert and Jonas feature but Sepp Kuss never gets a mench even though he took Jonas up all the mountain stages. Some meally mouthed chat about team mates in Jumbo and Ineos.

Highlight for me was the descent by Pidcock on the Alpe d'huez stage , heart stopping.

Just seen the first three episodes. It's a fascinating insight into the teams and tactics. Some of the race footage is outstanding. It almost feels like your taking part. I'd never seen the crash in Poland before that nearly cost Fabio Jakobsen his life and I really don't ever want to see it again, horrific.

• Like 1

It's free to join and compete in the Superbru Tipping Competition for the Tour de France. The race starts on Saturday.

I've always nominated myself as a Team Ineos / Team Sky supporter but they only have two Britons riding this year ... Tom Pidcock and Ben Turner. There's no Luke Rowe who is not only Welsh but prides himself on strongly competing to come last ("Lantern Rouge") in the race.

I've therefore switched to AG2R Citroen for this year's race. They are pretty much rubbish but I've got a Citroen van.

https://www.superbru.com/tournaments/cycling/tour-de-france/2023

Great day for the Yates household yesterday with Adam and twin brother Simon finishing 1st and 2nd respectively in the opening stage of the Tour. Proud day for them today as Adam gets to wear the famous yellow jersey for the first time.

• Like 3

Simon Yates has just been interviewed on Eurosport. Apparently mum and dad are at the race in their camper. What a great moment for them.

• Like 1

Adam Yates gets to keep the yellow jersey after another strong showing by him and his brother but the stage goes to France's Victor Lafay after he brilliantly got the jump on everybody with 1km to go giving Cofidis their first TdF stage win in 15 years.

Thought Tom Pidcock looked very good today too so not a bad day for the Lancashire and Yorkshire contingent.

• Like 3