Domestic Season Hots Up......

At the halfway point in the regular season in the top division of Super League, York Valkyrie are sitting pretty, undefeated with five wins out of five. The next three weeks will shape their run in - they face Leeds on Sunday at home (KO 12pm - no broadcast announcement yet), then St Helens two weeks in row, first in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final (live on BBC) on Saturday 22nd July, then away on the Friday in the league (5.30pm KO, live on Sky)

That's a tough schedule, but they're in good physical nick (only Georgie Hetherington injured, but with the addition of French skipper Elisa Akpa) and I'm backing them to win all three......

The big improvement for me this year at York has been in the half-backs. 19yo Liv Gale is now visibly physically stronger and provides a real running threat on the left. On the right, Sade Rihari's ball-handling skills are serving up scoring opportunities to her outside backs.

Edited by RBKnight
Sky coverage for Saints-York WSL game
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m tipping Leeds in this one, I’ve seen their recent performances and they have been awesome.

Zoe Hornby has been in too form plus they have Hardcastle & Beevers back and playing great.

Caitlin Casey has really developed well in the halves so it will be a great clash with Liv Gale who I think is a future international.

• Like 1

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

3 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Really hope it’s streamed somewhere. Please can someone post in here if it’s announced it’s going to be?

When Our League is showing tag rugby and amateur games, it really makes no sense not to show this.

• Like 3

Hope is fading for a late announcement of Our League coverage. This is the RFL. It's the hope that kills you.

Maybe they just forgot. Although not completely since there's a preview of the game on their website. Quote from Lois Forsell - "These are the games that players want to be involved in". Hmmm. 

Why would The Sportsman show Wire v Saints last week rather than York v Leeds this week? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hard to know who that draw benefits the most. Probably York who maintain the same gap to Leeds in the table and who get much-needed high-intense game before the semi final with Saints. If they’ve avoided injuries, you’d think a game like that is perfect preparation. 

As for Leeds, they’ve clearly improved hugely since the early weeks of the season. Every chance they’ll lift one of the big trophies. 

10 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Wigan beat Warrington 20-12

Not much between these two head-to-head. The return fixture at Victoria Park was also quite close. 

9 hours ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

As for Leeds, they’ve clearly improved hugely since the early weeks of the season. Every chance they’ll lift one of the big trophies. 

The negative aspect of WSL Group 1 is obviously the chasm between top three and bottom three.

The positive aspect is that it's now safe to say that any of the top three could beat either of the other two on the day.

Results from WSL Group 2 - Barrow 24 Featherstone 10, Salford 22 Castleford 10, Leigh 46 Bradford 10.

Big win for Barrow. Backing up their victory at Salford last week. Amanda Wilkinson developing a competitive squad for this division. Both their defeats to Leigh were not by much.

Good to see Cas not getting smashed every week as they rebuild.

Familiar face in the Leigh team - Beth Stott.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoFan said:

It will be interesting to see the match reports, Tara Jane Stanley came off injured late so hope she is ok for next week.

Tip tackle by (i think) Keira Bennett for which she got binned in the last three minutes. Hope she wasn't concussed

York v Saints on Saturday is absolutely massive when you consider what’s at stake. So hard to pick a winner. York have been slightly better this season and beat Saints comfortably but have since lost Hollie Dodd. Saints will have Jodie Cunningham and Zoe Harris back. Shona Hoyle would be my pick as Woman of Steel so far. She’s formed a great second row partnership with Emily Rudge. 

Anyone brave enough to try and call this one? 

1 hour ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

York v Saints on Saturday is absolutely massive when you consider what’s at stake. So hard to pick a winner. York have been slightly better this season and beat Saints comfortably but have since lost Hollie Dodd. Saints will have Jodie Cunningham and Zoe Harris back. Shona Hoyle would be my pick as Woman of Steel so far. She’s formed a great second row partnership with Emily Rudge. 

Anyone brave enough to try and call this one? 

Hopefully, York got their worst performance of the season out of their system against Leeds on Sunday.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2023 at 10:31, RBKnight said:

Both Leeds sin-binnings were for nasty challenges on TJS....

Both Kaiya Glynn and Keara Bennett have picked up two-match suspensions at the disciplinary for these challenges

Edited by RBKnight
spelling

Erin Stott & Georgia Sutherland are cup tied so won’t be in the squad for Saints but they get Jodie Cunningham & Zoe Harris back.

Gut feel is that Saints will handle the occasion better than The Valks.

5 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Erin Stott & Georgia Sutherland are cup tied so won’t be in the squad for Saints but they get Jodie Cunningham & Zoe Harris back.

Gut feel is that Saints will handle the occasion better than The Valks.

Missed them signing Sutherland!

Can’t wait for this weeks Saints v York match up.

I hope both teams are at full strength again although I doubt that will be the case.

was anyone else impressed by Lucie Sams on debut at 17yo, I thought her footwork was excellent and looked a natural footy player.

She is an England RU under 18 international so hopefully she enjoys playing RL more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Can’t wait for this weeks Saints v York match up.

I hope both teams are at full strength again although I doubt that will be the case.

was anyone else impressed by Lucie Sams on debut at 17yo, I thought her footwork was excellent and looked a natural footy player.

She is an England RU under 18 international so hopefully she enjoys playing RL more.

I’d imagine Saints might play Rotheram, E Stott and Sutherland to rest two of the backs. And maybe rest Cunningham and Rudge after their knocks. 
York will be full strength and very up for winning this one. 

On 21/07/2023 at 06:10, BroncoFan said:

Erin Stott & Georgia Sutherland are cup tied 

Two ways of looking at these signings.

On the one hand, disappointing that more players are moving from bottom three clubs to a top three club in WSL Group 1.

On the other, indicates the St. Helens club are committed to keeping up with York and Leeds. Despite their strictures about payments earlier in the year which could have been interpreted as resigned and fatalistic.

Edited by unapologetic pedant

On 20/07/2023 at 20:51, RBKnight said:

Both Kaiya Glynn and Keara Bennett have picked up two-match suspensions at the disciplinary for these challenges

Both of these suspensions for the Rhinos upheld by the disciplinary panel on appeal yesterday