Sun 20th Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

I didn't expect that in the circumstances.

I'm sure Rochdale would have wanted to play the game instead, seeing as if they were to make the play-offs they would be looking to win that match by 50 points plus - Skolars have lost by more than 50 twice this year too.

If Rochdale beat Cornwall by a big score and just fail to make the play-offs on points difference, this decision could be controversial.

Beyond which, this means that Rochdale have only had 8 home league matches all season.

Hornets might consider themselves a little fortunate given the circumstances surrounding the original postponement - points have been deducted in the past for exactly that kind of thing.

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

Hornets might consider themselves a little fortunate given the circumstances surrounding the original postponement - points have been deducted in the past for exactly that kind of thing.

I assume you mean the match being postponed at short notice?

I don't know if the ref had arrived at the ground by the time the call was made, but I assume the RFL and their officials were happy with the decision or they would have taken action against Rochdale weeks ago rather than rearranging the fixture. 

Edited by Barley Mow

21 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I didn't expect that in the circumstances.

I'm sure Rochdale would have wanted to play the game instead, seeing as if they were to make the play-offs they would be looking to win that match by 50 points plus - Skolars have lost by more than 50 twice this year too.

If Rochdale beat Cornwall by a big score and just fail to make the play-offs on points difference, this decision could be controversial.

Beyond which, this means that Rochdale have only had 8 home league matches all season.

I think Rochdale were fortunate to receive 2 points and the win. Remember that Skolars travelled to Rochdale for the original fixture which was called off very close to kick-off time. I dont think Hornets received any sanction for that. From reading other posts its not entirely clear who made the decision to call the original game off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gogledd said:

I think Rochdale were fortunate to receive 2 points and the win. Remember that Skolars travelled to Rochdale for the original fixture which was called off very close to kick-off time. I dont think Hornets received any sanction for that. From reading other posts its not entirely clear who made the decision to call the original game off.

Another poster made a similar suggestion yesterday.

I don't know if the ref had arrived at the ground by the time the call to postpone on the original date was made, but I assume the RFL and their officials were happy with the decision or they would have taken action against Rochdale weeks ago rather than rearranging the fixture. 

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Another poster made a similar suggestion yesterday.

I don't know if the ref had arrived at the ground by the time the call to postpone on the original date was made, but I assume the RFL and their officials were happy with the decision or they would have taken action against Rochdale weeks ago rather than rearranging the fixture. 

Or they just nodded the decision through without investigating further. Still they can now throw Skolars under the bus for not managing the nigh on impossible.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Or they just nodded the decision through without investigating further. Still they can now throw Skolars under the bus for not managing the nigh on impossible.

I don't understand why there is some suggestion of a conspiracy here.

During a period of rain Rochdale or their landlords/their ground staff concluded that the ground was not fit for play. Unfortunately it was closer to kick-off than was ideal and that meant Skolars made a wasted journey.

As I understand it neither the RFL or London Skolars complained that the ground was fit or thought that investigation was necessary.

The fixture had to be rearranged and unfortunately their wasn't a weekend when both teams were available, so a midweek date was settled on. Both clubs were disadvantaged by that and the subsequent cancellation.

• Like 1

If the decision was just nodded through of course there would be no investigation. I am not sure what Skolars could investigate from a  coach on the M6. As it is now Skolars that are in front of RFL compliance having been entirely blameless in the first place. I guess they will have to make their case, but it appears incredibly one sided that they are the only ones being looked into having already paid the not inconsiderable sum for the wasted Coach journey. Incidentally it is being suggested that the rearranged game breached the RFL's player welfare rules as there is meant to be a 5 day gap between away games. Instead Skolars were left with 3 away games in 8 days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Stein said:

If the decision was just nodded through of course there would be no investigation. I am not sure what Skolars could investigate from a  coach on the M6. As it is now Skolars that are in front of RFL compliance having been entirely blameless in the first place. I guess they will have to make their case, but it appears incredibly one sided that they are the only ones being looked into having already paid the not inconsiderable sum for the wasted Coach journey. Incidentally it is being suggested that the rearranged game breached the RFL's player welfare rules as there is meant to be a 5 day gap between away games. Instead Skolars were left with 3 away games in 8 days

Where has the suggestion that there was something untoward about the postponement come from? It wasn't a sunny, dry day.

What would Rochdale gain from cancelling if it could have been played? They wouldn't want three games in 8 days either.

What do the RFL gain from 'nodding through' a postponement that shouldn't have happened?

If Skolars thought there was an issue they would have reported it to the RFL rather than investigating from the M6.

Match officials were appointed for the day and must not have reported anything amiss.

If the rearranged date didn't meet the welfare requirements, then of course it shouldn't have been arranged for that date.