NCL Premier Division Grand Final

On 04/10/2023 at 13:48, Barley Mow said:

Thanks. It looks as though the timings work out pretty well with the Super League semi-final for an afternoon of rugby.

I missed most of the first half, but it is Hunslet 8:6 West Hull at HT. So the remainder of the match is still very much a contest.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We've got a once-in-a-generation set of players at the moment and having won the Premier Division 3 times now since 2018, I think that puts them up there with the great West Hull and Siddal sides of the past 20 years or so. A great and well spirited rivalry is forming with West Hull now and long may it continue! 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

7 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

We've got a once-in-a-generation set of players at the moment and having won the Premier Division 3 times now since 2018, I think that puts them up there with the great West Hull and Siddal sides of the past 20 years or so. A great and well spirited rivalry is forming with West Hull now and long may it continue! 

I have to agree. Can think of 9/10 of them who should definitely be getting paid at a higher level. 
I think the scary thing for opposition is how many of them are under 25 years old too. Wouldn’t be surprised, and it would be well deserved, if future England lions sides are littered with 5+ players from Hunslet. 
IMO you have the best 1,2,4,5,9,10,11 in the country at amateur level.

Edited by rugbylad09
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rugbylad09 said:

I have to agree. Can think of 9/10 of them who should definitely be getting paid at a higher level. 
I think the scary thing for opposition is how many of them are under 25 years old too. Wouldn’t be surprised, and it would be well deserved, if future England lions sides are littered with 5+ players from Hunslet. 

Cheers mate - those are very kind words! 

We obviously had the 'original' decent side who dominated the Pennine league and then came up winning the NCL divisions back to back from 2015-2018. Must admit we weren't sure how it would go after the Covid restart, as a few of those senior lads had packed in and the younger lads had nearly 2 years out of the game but all credit to them and the coaches for harnessing all the talent back together.  

Definitely agree that some of them should've flown the nest and be off playing (semi) pro but it's such a hard balance it seems because these clubs want these lads committing to 3/4 training sessions a week and game day (often Sunday) which means they can't go out on a Saturday, all for a few hundred quid most of them could get doing side jobs. Craig McShane (fullback) was a prime example of how the numbers just didn't stack up for him when both Batley and Bradford had a look. 

Big Fieldsy (10) assures me this is definitely his last year, although he's been saying that for the best part of 3 years 😅

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Cheers mate - those are very kind words! 

We obviously had the 'original' decent side who dominated the Pennine league and then came up winning the NCL divisions back to back from 2015-2018. Must admit we weren't sure how it would go after the Covid restart, as a few of those senior lads had packed in and the younger lads had nearly 2 years out of the game but all credit to them and the coaches for harnessing all the talent back together.  

Definitely agree that some of them should've flown the nest and be off playing (semi) pro but it's such a hard balance it seems because these clubs want these lads committing to 3/4 training sessions a week and game day (often Sunday) which means they can't go out on a Saturday, all for a few hundred quid most of them could get doing side jobs. Craig McShane (fullback) was a prime example of how the numbers just didn't stack up for him when both Batley and Bradford had a look. 

Big Fieldsy (10) assures me this is definitely his last year, although he's been saying that for the best part of 3 years 😅

Yeah a common problem in the semi pro ranks, lends more to the financial state of the game. 
Always known Hunslet to be a forward dominating team, which they still look to be but the 1,2,5 must be frightening to play against. Both with the platform that gets set for them and their kick return ability. I heard the commentators from the game Saturday say one of them had 31 tries this season, ridiculous stat at this level

Edited by rugbylad09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rugbylad09 said:

Yeah a common problem in the semi pro ranks, lends more to the financial state of the game. 
Always known Hunslet to be a forward dominating team, which they still look to be but the 1,2,5 must be frightening to play against. Both with the platform that gets set for them and their kick return ability. I heard the commentators from the game Saturday say one of them had 31 tries this season, ridiculous stat at this level

Yeah that will have been Tyler Dargan (2) they were talking about - ridiculously fast and strong winger to say he's only about 5'9 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2023 at 23:58, rugbylad09 said:

Watched hunslet and agree with most of those positions you've mentioned as being their best players, and as you say probably up there as the best in the league in those positions. Picking an England community lions side now, they'd probably dominate the squad, if they fancy playing that is, sure mcshane at 1 declined the last tour, and maybe the big back rower.

Who'd be your best 3, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13 from the rest of the community game to fill out the community lions team, there certainly are some great candidates to choose from.

20 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Watched hunslet and agree with most of those positions you've mentioned as being their best players, and as you say probably up there as the best in the league in those positions. Picking an England community lions side now, they'd probably dominate the squad, if they fancy playing that is, sure mcshane at 1 declined the last tour, and maybe the big back rower.

Who'd be your best 3, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13 from the rest of the community game to fill out the community lions team, there certainly are some great candidates to choose from.

3- Zac Olstrum from Ellenbrough 

6- Josh Wood from west hull

7- If I remember rightly he plays in the halves but can also play FB, it’s Lewis Hoisty from Siddal. Also like Gainford from Kells

8- I’m actually unsure on this one, Pearce from wath brow, kamano from Hunslet, samme from Dewsbury Moor all credible shouts, probably even field from west gate in YML

12- Ben Arbon from west hull, closely followed by MacCallum from Siddal

13- Ryan Steen from west hull

out of interest who would you say the league/England lions best 13 is?

for me it’s Craig mcshane  mclelland/weatherill (wath brow winger- was top scorer in ncl this year, though may count himself lucky that olstrum played a game less and dargan played 5 games less) tough to separate, olstrum, dearden, dargan, wood, hoisty, field, Jack McShane, kamano (providing Jamie fields retires), shulver, arbon, steen

Edited by rugbylad09

12 hours ago, rugbylad09 said:

3- Zac Olstrum from Ellenbrough 

6- Josh Wood from west hull

7- If I remember rightly he plays in the halves but can also play FB, it’s Lewis Hoisty from Siddal. Also like Gainford from Kells

8- I’m actually unsure on this one, Pearce from wath brow, kamano from Hunslet, samme from Dewsbury Moor all credible shouts, probably even field from west gate in YML

12- Ben Arbon from west hull, closely followed by MacCallum from Siddal

13- Ryan Steen from west hull

out of interest who would you say the league/England lions best 13 is?

for me it’s Craig mcshane  mclelland/weatherill (wath brow winger- was top scorer in ncl this year, though may count himself lucky that olstrum played a game less and dargan played 5 games less) tough to separate, olstrum, dearden, dargan, wood, hoisty, field, Jack McShane, kamano (providing Jamie fields retires), shulver, arbon, steen

Agree with wood from west hull, cracking player, think holgate at brow is a top 9 too. Wilson at west hull, usually prop and kicker always seems to go well also. The Aussie centre at Mayfield looked good and Tracey, back rower at Thatto always seems to be a threat with ball in hand. Think hosty is a better centre than a half also. Lock Lane prop always leads from the front, he carries well too.

Would have to have a good think for a 1 -13 although mcshane at 1 and dargan wing are big threats and top players at hunslet along with shulver but arbon at west hull is better I think. Siddal back rower is strong too, can't think of his name, think he's ginger though, and likes a carry in the attacking 20 area  

9 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Agree with wood from west hull, cracking player, think holgate at brow is a top 9 too. Wilson at west hull, usually prop and kicker always seems to go well also. The Aussie centre at Mayfield looked good and Tracey, back rower at Thatto always seems to be a threat with ball in hand. Think hosty is a better centre than a half also. Lock Lane prop always leads from the front, he carries well too.

Would have to have a good think for a 1 -13 although mcshane at 1 and dargan wing are big threats and top players at hunslet along with shulver but arbon at west hull is better I think. Siddal back rower is strong too, can't think of his name, think he's ginger though, and likes a carry in the attacking 20 area  

Yeah Wilson totally slipped by me, he probably would be the prop. 
holgate would 100% be in the overall squad, think mcshane offers a little more overall but still a fantastic player.
Probably agree with Hosty too and the ginger lad is macCallum who I mentioned. 
Tracey is a good player but think shulver, arbon and mccallum are ahead. 

probably very similar side overall though, I know a couple of the aforementioned are playing over in Ireland tomorrow for the 23s

28 minutes ago, Cumbria1 said:

Leon Crellin at centre for me, Kris Tyson can play 1,6 & 7 top points scorer in all divisions would be there, Horner from Egremont has some engine on him.

Yeah crellin and Tyson in the 20 for me,

From all the players mentioned if I had to pick a 20 it would be mcshane (Hunslet) weatherill (wath) hosty (siddal) dearden (Hunslet) dargan (Hunslet) wood (west hull) Tyson (egremont) Wilson (west hull) mcshane (Hunslet) Kamano (Hunslet) shulver (Hunslet) arbon (west hull) steen (west hull)

holgate (wath) field (westgate) maccallum (siddal) tracey (thatto)

Then 3 of crellin/olstrum/mclelland as backs (egremont/ellenbrough/hunslet) samme/pearce as forwards (moor/wath) 

took me a while that, can’t say I envy the selectors! Think it’s a healthy debate for people to have on here, especially when we see more of specific players and teams 

Edited by rugbylad09

On 09/10/2023 at 23:58, rugbylad09 said:

I would say best 1 but to say they have the best 1,2,4,5,9,10,11 in country is big harsh. Holgate from Brow is class 9. Would even say Sheridan at mayfield be up there. Who 10 for hunslet if your on about fields his not been same player since he done his knee was class before that. Weatherill scored more tries than hunslet wingers so how would he not be classed as best winger in country. 

1 hour ago, Cumbria1 said:

I would say best 1 but to say they have the best 1,2,4,5,9,10,11 in country is big harsh. Holgate from Brow is class 9. Would even say Sheridan at mayfield be up there. Who 10 for hunslet if your on about fields his not been same player since he done his knee was class before that. Weatherill scored more tries than hunslet wingers so how would he not be classed as best winger in country. 

No disagreements on holgate, just personally think mcshane is better, they are the top 2. 
As for the winger, if you include the play offs dargan finished on 27 in 18 and 24 in 16 in regular season, weatherill was 27 in 22 or 27 in 21 in the season, so there’s the clear difference. Maybe I was carried away, would say weatherill is the best 2, but for me dargan is  the best winger in the league, and number 5

again just my opinion

Edited by rugbylad09

5 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Nothing from west of the Pennines then…or at least the Lancashire bit.

Must admit it’s an area I’m not too familiar with but that’s why the trials are regional and I’m not the selector, I will have missed out a fair few players. A player who totally slipped my mind earlier is Hamilton from waterhead

Edited by rugbylad09

5 hours ago, rugbylad09 said:

Must admit it’s an area I’m not too familiar with but that’s why the trials are regional and I’m not the selector, I will have missed out a fair few players. A player who totally slipped my mind earlier is Hamilton from waterhead

Thing is most lions squads made up mainly NCL Premier players and maybe 1 or 2 from regional league, Think if you look back to last open age lions tour to NZ was 22 man squad 21 where NCL players 1 was not. 

more chance making BARLA GB than England Lions if your not a NCL player 

On 20/10/2023 at 21:01, rugbylad09 said:

Hamilton is excellent. Ciaran Dean at waterhead very underrated. Best forwards weve played in our two seasons in the NCL would be John Deakin OSA and Danny Bridge from Waterhead, Best back would probably be Kieran Prescott from Leigh East 

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/10/2023 at 11:43, rugbylad09 said:

Yeah crellin and Tyson in the 20 for me,

From all the players mentioned if I had to pick a 20 it would be mcshane (Hunslet) weatherill (wath) hosty (siddal) dearden (Hunslet) dargan (Hunslet) wood (west hull) Tyson (egremont) Wilson (west hull) mcshane (Hunslet) Kamano (Hunslet) shulver (Hunslet) arbon (west hull) steen (west hull)

holgate (wath) field (westgate) maccallum (siddal) tracey (thatto)

Then 3 of crellin/olstrum/mclelland as backs (egremont/ellenbrough/hunslet) samme/pearce as forwards (moor/wath) 

took me a while that, can’t say I envy the selectors! Think it’s a healthy debate for people to have on here, especially when we see more of specific players and teams 

Saw there was a trial this weekend and a fair few obvious faces were missing from the photo I saw- steen, dargan, mcshane and I believe wood to name a few. Hope they haven’t been overlooked/there’s another trial