Multi Sport Clubs

15 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Didn’t Bradford Bulls get involved with Wakefield RU? It seems odd in retrospect but I’m sure it was a thing once but obviously didn’t end well.

Forgot about that.  Was talk of player sharing at the onset but only Paul Sykes actually went across, for one game. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

28 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Forgot about that.  Was talk of player sharing at the onset but only Paul Sykes actually went across, for one game. 

24 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I seem to remember one of the Wakey RU lot playing in the 2002 7’s with Bradford?

Wiki reckons Rob Parker played for Wakefield RU, too. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

Didn’t Bradford Bulls get involved with Wakefield RU? It seems odd in retrospect but I’m sure it was a thing once but obviously didn’t end well.

It’s more common on the continent anyway with Real Madrid, Barcelona basketball etc, which seem pretty big. Well, that is when I’ve seen them on TV whilst abroad. 

Something I didn't know until last week - Glasgow Rangers had a basketball team for one season in the 1980s! The bought the Kingston club, won the BBL Playoffs, then the new Rangers owner got rid and they went back to SW London.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Something I didn't know until last week - Glasgow Rangers had a basketball team for one season in the 1980s! The bought the Kingston club, won the BBL Playoffs, then the new Rangers owner got rid and they went back to SW London.

You watched View from the Terrace on BBC Scotland, didn’t you? 😃 

• Like 2

Back in the mid 90's Sir John Hall, then Newcastle United owner, tried to create a Newcastle sporting club a bit like what exists at Barcelona but it all fell apart after a handful of years. At its height he owned Newcastle United, Newcastle Falcons RU (formerly Newcastle/Gosforth), Newcastle Cobras Ice hockey club (formerly Durham Wasps) and Newcastle Eagles basketball. Unfortunately the dream was all falling apart before Gateshead Thunders year in super league otherwise he may have swooped in and bought them and the merger with Hull might never have happened. Another sliding doors moment there.

9 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Busted!

(Love that programme, the little documentaries are always so interesting)

Me too. Duncan McKay (of Duncan & Duncan fame) is actually a keen RL fan. I bumped in to him at an Edinburgh derby a couple of years ago and had a quick chat about RL. 

• Like 1