Clubs printing programmes in 2024

I'll kick this off, for the new season, by saying Orrell St James have confirmed they'll be issuing a printed programme for next Sunday's (14/1) Challenge Cup first round tie with fellow North West League amateurs Haresfinch.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2024 at 12:26, Hopping Mad said:

Via Twitter, Doncaster Toll Bar confirm they will issue a printed programme for their Challenge Cup tie with Ashton Bears.

It was an eight-pager, included with the £3 admission charge.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Lowca did a four-page programme (£3, included with admission) for their Challenge Cup first round tie with Edinburgh Eagles.

At the same stage of the same competition, Orrell St James, hosting Haresfinch, offered an eight-pager for a quid.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Clock Face one was pretty good for £1 

Good interview with coach re forthcoming game and season, plenty about the opposition Heworth and a history article about Clock's Wembley winner, Wilf Smith who played for Saints outside Murphy

• Thanks 1

Despite relegation last season, Keighley seem set to continue with a printed programme in 2024 (although they didn't bother for last Sunday's Castleford friendly). If Cougars keep faith - into a third season - with Footie Print, a North Yorkshire-based design and print supplier, it should be a quality issue.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

I was 68 on Wednesday and I have a collection of about 9,000 RL programmes that I can't take with me when I die.  My interest in RL has not been the same since 1999, when I realised that super greed is going to kill off the rest of the game, and I even stopped watching my own local club because they were/still are in that competition. My dismay has become worse since so many clubs, including my local club, don't produce programmes anymore. I have not made a final decision yet but, I have been considering for a while now that I might sell off my collection. Ideally I would like somebody to take them all but I realise most people only collect programmes relating to their own clubs. Anybody got any ideas please? If I decide to get rid? 

1 hour ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I was 68 on Wednesday and I have a collection of about 9,000 RL programmes that I can't take with me when I die.  My interest in RL has not been the same since 1999, when I realised that super greed is going to kill off the rest of the game, and I even stopped watching my own local club because they were/still are in that competition. My dismay has become worse since so many clubs, including my local club, don't produce programmes anymore. I have not made a final decision yet but, I have been considering for a while now that I might sell off my collection. Ideally I would like somebody to take them all but I realise most people only collect programmes relating to their own clubs. Anybody got any ideas please? If I decide to get rid? 

You might consider donating them to the Huddersfield-based National Programme Archive, curated by Rugby League Cares. When the time comes, I'll probably do that with mine.

https://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/news/general/heritage/rugby-leagues-national-programme-archive-nears-25000-milestone/

Many collectors, when attempting to sell, find very few takers nowadays.

Edited by Hopping Mad

There may be a Hurricanes prog this year

Website indicates Eye of the Storm prog available and included in deal for season ticket holders. It does not refer to this being paper or digital.

Either way don’t think there has been a prog since Cov Bears days.

Will update if I get to Doncaster Game 

21 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

If you have the time and inclination you might consider putting them on ebay. you would need to separate out the more ‘important’ ones from the rest but someones rubbish is often somebody else’s treasure.

21 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Incidentally I am almost the same age and contemplating what to do with my collection going back to 1930s.

Always had the idea they would be passed to my son but although he is a fan he has no interests in programmes.

On 19/01/2024 at 21:58, groundhopper said:

There may be a Hurricanes prog this year

Website indicates Eye of the Storm prog available and included in deal for season ticket holders. It does not refer to this being paper or digital.

Either way don’t think there has been a prog since Cov Bears days.

Will update if I get to Doncaster Game 

Curtis Sport - the well-known programme producer - is a Hurricanes sponsor for 2024. Suggests a proper programme should be on the cards.

56 minutes ago, clifford said:

RIP to the Oldham programme, nothing planned for 2024

They had nothing in 2023 did they? I generally get to Oldham at least a couple of times a season but didn't bother last season because I was informed there was no programmes?

On 20/01/2024 at 08:29, Anita Bath said:

If you have the time and inclination you might consider putting them on ebay. you would need to separate out the more ‘important’ ones from the rest but someones rubbish is often somebody else’s treasure.

Thanks Anita but, as an old luddite, I have no idea how to use ebay (I've only just got a phone that isn't just a phone and I have no idea what I'm doing with it), plus I assume that everything modern is a scam these days!

Oldham did produce a programme in 2023, it was purely available on line without being made available to download.

I did raise this at the time and was told that they would look at it. 

The programme remained purely online. 

10 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

They had nothing in 2023 did they? I generally get to Oldham at least a couple of times a season but didn't bother last season because I was informed there was no programmes?

Thanks Anita but, as an old luddite, I have no idea how to use ebay (I've only just got a phone that isn't just a phone and I have no idea what I'm doing with it), plus I assume that everything modern is a scam these days!

I hear you….i have trouble working out how to make calls from my phone…and dont start me off on ‘smart’ TVs. Ive got three different controls and nothing works when the internet is down. Give me the old TV with. tube, one control and an on-off button.

A second option would be to produce a list of what you have and posters on here could request your list by e mail. 

Good luck…

On 17/01/2024 at 08:34, Hopping Mad said:

Despite relegation last season, Keighley seem set to continue with a printed programme in 2024 (although they didn't bother for last Sunday's Castleford friendly). If Cougars keep faith - into a third season - with Footie Print, a North Yorkshire-based design and print supplier, it should be a quality issue.

Bad news. Keighley have confirmed their programme will be digital this coming season.

On 23/01/2024 at 12:29, clifford said:

Oldham did produce a programme in 2023, it was purely available on line without being made available to download.

I did raise this at the time and was told that they would look at it. 

The programme remained purely online. 

If they don't sell printed programmes at the game, that is the same as not bothering at all to me. I guess that's the end of my visiting Oldham again then. Shame as I've got 106 Oldham programmes back to 1966. I've got 26 Oldham St. Annes and 36 Saddleworth Rangers.

On 23/01/2024 at 20:15, Anita Bath said:

I hear you….i have trouble working out how to make calls from my phone…and dont start me off on ‘smart’ TVs. Ive got three different controls and nothing works when the internet is down. Give me the old TV with. tube, one control and an on-off button.

A second option would be to produce a list of what you have and posters on here could request your list by e mail. 

Good luck…

LOL! We have 3 remotes and I can only use one of them. We have hundreds of channels but if my wife is out I can't watch football unless its on ITV/BBC. My programme catalogue has about 200 pages Anita from pub teams to internationals. I would not know how to put it all on here my friend? I don't want to be selling off individual programmes but would consider selling all from particular clubs. Maybe I will just let my Wife have a bonfire when I go!

17 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Bad news. Keighley have confirmed their programme will be digital this coming season.

Clifford says better than nothing but I would rather have nothing! I used to buy programmes from the programme shop at Lawkholme lane. I have 2 Keighley Albion programmes and 69 Keighley programmes going back to 1952. The couple I have from 1952/53 season were given to me by a former Keighley player who, sadly, died last year. Lovely guy - Rod Raines. Seems like this is just not my world any more?

7 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Seems like this is just not my world any more?

Inevitably, the world in which we arrive is very different to the one we leave. 'Twas ever thus.

Edited by Hopping Mad