Pacific Cup/Bowl 2023 - Weekend 1 - AUS v SAM (Mens) AUS v NZ (Womens) PNG v Cooks (M) SAM v FIJI (W)

MEN’S SCHEDULE/DATES and TIMES (AEDT)

Sat, 14 October - Australia v Samoa - Townsville 8:10pm

Sun, 15 October - PNG v Cook Islands Port Moresby, 4:00pm

Sat, 21 October - New Zealand v Samoa - Auckland, 4:00pm

Sun, 22 October - Fiji v Cook Islands - Port Moresby, 4:00pm

Sat, 28 October - Australia v New Zealand - Melbourne, 8:10pm

Sun, 29 October - PNG v Fiji - Port Moresby, 4:00pm

Pool A final - TBD v TBD - Hamilton, 3:00pm

Pool B final - TBD v TBD - Port Moresby, 4:00pm

WOMEN’S SCHEDULE/DATES and TIMES (AEDT)

Sat, 14 October - Australia vs. New Zealand - Townsville, 6:00pm

Sun, 15 October - Samoa vs. Fiji - Port Moresby, 1:45pm

Sat, 21 October - New Zealand vs. Tonga - Auckland, 1:45pm

Sun, 22 October - PNG vs. Cook Islands - Port Moresby, 1:45pm

Sat, 28 October - Australia vs. New Zealand - Melbourne, 6:00pm

Caitlin Johnson crashes over from short range.

9 minutes to HT. Still pretty tight game. I thought the Townsville weather would have caught up with a few players by now.

Brigginshaw goal

AUS  12 - 4

HT:  AUS 16 - 4

I don't get it with these womens games this year. It's not a tournament, just a collection of random games. NZ is the only team that plays 3 games, AUS plays 2, both against NZ, with a week off in the middle. Why don't they play Fiji or Samoa in the off week. Not every game needs to be a curtain-raiser for  a mens game. Just play it on a Friday night at Penrith. The evenings are nice and warm now so they might get 10K for a standalone game.

Edited by Farmduck

Will catch up with the Women's game later.

Looking forward to the Australia Samoa men's game now.

Big ask for Samoa - this Kangaroos team looks good.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

This is going to be a blowout. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

That slow start by Samoa against a lively Aussie side cost them the game.

Samoa competed better after that. The Aussie tries at the very end of each half saw the scoreboard end up looking good for them. The Fox NRL headline spoke to a 7-2 try score calling it a destruction of Somoa.

The star rising in the Samoan side was Sualauvi Faalogo. The young man has played just a few minutes of NRL with Melbourne, but showed his potential with a fine and confident performance in the game. Sad that his No try didn’t count as it was good to watch.

Edited by Graham

A convincing win for PNG.

An early worry was the serious looking injury to Cook Islands halfback Tevin Arona. He was laid out senseless just having his head in the wrong place when making a tackle.

The game was stopped for an extended period until he was eventually stretchered off.

News later came in from hospital that he has been cleared of a spinal fracture. Hopefully he will be cleared of any serious injury.

On 15/10/2023 at 23:03, welshmagpie said:

The next 8-12 years will be interesting for the Cooks. Their player pool is fast decreasing in number and the gap between themselves and the other Pacific nations will only widen in my opinion. 

Yeah I agree. They've got Moale and Iro coming through but they already struggle to compete and that will only get worse...........relying on 34yr old Takairangi as your half back. Don't see how they really fit into the Pacific Cup in the future, they will increasingly become cannon fodder. 

Ioka showed up well though

On 15/10/2023 at 23:03, welshmagpie said:

The next 8-12 years will be interesting for the Cooks. Their player pool is fast decreasing in number and the gap between themselves and the other Pacific nations will only widen in my opinion. 

Hate to say it but unfortunately the cook lslands are a dead end for international RL due to their tiny population which is less than featherstone I believe.

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Yeah I agree. They've got Moale and Iro coming through but they already struggle to compete and that will only get worse...........relying on 34yr old Takairangi as your half back. Don't see how they really fit into the Pacific Cup in the future, they will increasingly become cannon fodder. 

Ioka showed up well though

Their chairman recently called for a change to eligibility rules to allow nations to include 3 players who qualify by great-grandparent.

Samoa & Tonga’s Australian populations are also on the decline too.

I won’t be surprised if this doesn’t become reality over the next couple of cycles.