Northerners -are they .....

10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm perfectly happy being both English and British.

I love supporting England at football, cricket, rugby union, etc.

In rugby league I'm absolutely fine with England, but I would prefer a Great Britain team, partly because of history and nostalgia (the contribution of players like Jonathan Davies), but also because I don't think Scotland and Wales are currently able to offer very much.

I'd rather see the rare great player from those countries (e.g. Regan Grace) have the opportunity to represent GB.

England does keep the possibility of Wales and Scotland having the chance to be NH opponents I suppose 

Scotland with heritage players (like Ireland) should on paper by all SL/NRL players 

13 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Especially considering that when Liverpool FC fans had the 'problem' at Heysel in 1985, it was English clubs that got banned as a result.

The English Clubs Who Were Denied European Football After Heysel

I know Liverpool FC fans are rightly concerned about justice, so I'm certain they would want their scouse Liverpool FC to compensate all the English clubs that they caused to miss out on European football.

I estimate that Southampton's 1985/86 UEFA cup run would probably have netted us about £100m, so I'll happily accept a cheque for that amount being sent to St Mary's. Or they can send us Mo Salah.

How about all that money we sent you for numerous players down the years that you squandered and wasted to your current detriment??

Play up Pompey btw.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

England does keep the possibility of Wales and Scotland having the chance to be NH opponents I suppose 

Scotland with heritage players (like Ireland) should on paper by all SL/NRL players 

But the way I see it is that you can have Great Britain playing in World Cups etc. and still arrange games anytime you want between England, Scotland and Wales.

It's not like there's a glut of international rugby league, so we could easily have a month of England/Scotland/Wales playing each other in the summer, partly as a GB trial.

Long term - and we're a million miles off this - if the production line was producing enough talent to sustain genuine competitive Scotland and Wales teams, then you could dispense with GB if you wanted to. That would give you two more strong international teams.

But right now, I just can't see the point of Scotland and Wales. I wonder if you did a survey, what percentage of people in Wales or Scotland could name a single player for their team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How about all that money we sent you for numerous players down the years that you squandered and wasted to your current detriment??

That was legitimately ours to squander.

When is Liverpool FC going to withdraw from English football and go and play in the Scouse league?

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

But the way I see it is that you can have Great Britain playing in World Cups etc. and still arrange games anytime you want between England, Scotland and Wales.

It's not like there's a glut of international rugby league, so we could easily have a month of England/Scotland/Wales playing each other in the summer, partly as a GB trial.

Long term - and we're a million miles off this - if the production line was producing enough talent to sustain genuine competitive Scotland and Wales teams, then you could dispense with GB if you wanted to. That would give you two more strong international teams.

But right now, I just can't see the point of Scotland and Wales. I wonder if you did a survey, what percentage of people in Wales or Scotland could name a single player for their team.

Isn’t the whole point that as England,Scotland and Wales they can access funding not available to them as GB. 

Just now, bobbruce said:

Isn’t the whole point that as England,Scotland and Wales they can access funding not available to them as GB. 

I don't know about that. I've heard that sort of thing said before, but I think the member on here called Wells (or something like that - Hull fan) always comes a long and says that's a complete myth.

Besides, I'm advocating that the three teams play sometimes, so would that not be enough for the funding to continue? It depends what the terms of the funding are, I suppose.

40 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

The heritage Scotland team did well in the 4 nations a few years back (and a point from NZ) 

Had high hopes for Ireland in the WC but it seems they treated it as a p*** up

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The heritage Scotland team did well in the 4 nations a few years back (and a point from NZ) 

Had high hopes for Ireland in the WC but it seems they treated it as a p*** up

Yes, at Coventry, I remember it. But as you say it was a heritage team, and what else has there been before or since then?

If you play as Great Britain, the best Scottish and Welsh players have something at the highest level to aspire to. You can still have Wales and Scotland teams operating beneath that.

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I always welcome a humourous approach to things, but I genuinely don't understand how that map is funny or clever. Maybe I'm missing something, so I'll reserve the right to change my opinion.

Is there any significance to the Werewolves and Vampires part? I don't understand those labels. Werewolves come out at night - when it's a full moon, I think. Vampires likewise at night, but to drink blood. I'm still none the wiser.

As for the drunken and racist bits, I genuinely don't understand that either. I don't associate northerners with being drunk. And I certainly don't associate the south with being racists.

If I was to think of the drunken route, it would be more the Scottish whisky drinker, Rab C Nesbitt type thing. Or perhaps Somerset cider drinkers, maybe. I genuinely don't alcohol with the north, because it's prevalent everywhere.

Likewise if I think of racists in the UK, I don't think of southerners or even southern areas. Certainly not stretching the whole southern mass of England. Especially bizarre to include London, I would have thought, given the demographics of the population.

Just don't get that map, I'm afraid. Maybe that's just me.