SKY new TV deal with Football

There’s talk of the BBC losing the 6 Nations and the Women’s Super League football.

That would open up a lot of broadcast slots in a long term deal with them.

Even if Channel 4 offered a little more up front then you would think the greater audience on the BBC and cross promotion across their network would make it the better choice.

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s talk of the BBC losing the 6 Nations and the Women’s Super League football.

That would open up a lot of broadcast slots in a long term deal with them.

Even if Channel 4 offered a little more up front then you would think the greater audience on the BBC and cross promotion across their network would make it the better choice.

The BBC is much diminished but being visible/audible across its TV, radio and online platforms is worth a fair bit.

I'm genuinely surprised they are in the running though - league competitions like this outside of the Scotland/Wales/NI have never really been their thing. (Football, as ever, is the exception not the rule here.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The BBC is much diminished but being visible/audible across its TV, radio and online platforms is worth a fair bit.

I'm genuinely surprised they are in the running though - league competitions like this outside of the Scotland/Wales/NI have never really been their thing. (Football, as ever, is the exception not the rule here.)

Yes, they’re having to cut their cloth accordingly (sadly in my opinion) in a discussion best held elsewhere.

I think though they’ve always had a long running association with rugby league on the BBC with one former BBC2 controller damning us with the faint praise of calling it ‘cheap football’ in terms of the demographic and audience it serves.

With them losing their sporting portfolio elsewhere then they might see scooping up Super League games as a way to offset some of it slightly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, they’re having to cut their cloth accordingly (sadly in my opinion) in a discussion best held elsewhere.

I think though they’ve always had a long running association with rugby league on the BBC with one former BBC2 controller damning us with the faint praise of calling it ‘cheap football’ in terms of the demographic and audience it serves.

With them losing their sporting portfolio elsewhere then they might see scooping up Super League games as a way to offset some of it slightly.

It was always Regal Trophy/Cup/Premiership type things though - and this remains their attitude across most sports for UK or England.

It would be huge if there were genuine live FTA coverage of Super League via the BBC.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)