Community Dual Registration

The NCL clubs have  for the first time  just voted massively in favour  of agreeing to allow pro registered players in their competition for 2024. Only 2 per match day squad , the aim being to give game time to the many fringe players not getting regular run outs within the Tiers 1 - 3.

It is a system that has been little used thus far at regional Tier 5 but many Pro coaches are understood to be  much more enthusiastic about allowing their lads match rugby at the levels and within the general environments on show at  the NCL. Hopefully there will be a decent take up for this initiative - time will tell if it proves to be a success

12 hours ago, del capo said:

The NCL clubs have  for the first time  just voted massively in favour  of agreeing to allow pro registered players in their competition for 2024. Only 2 per match day squad , the aim being to give game time to the many fringe players not getting regular run outs within the Tiers 1 - 3.

It is a system that has been little used thus far at regional Tier 5 but many Pro coaches are understood to be  much more enthusiastic about allowing their lads match rugby at the levels and within the general environments on show at  the NCL. Hopefully there will be a decent take up for this initiative - time will tell if it proves to be a success

Not sure how I feel about that personally. Whilst I think the difference in ability from the prem to league 1 is minimal, potentially taking someone’s spot to only benefit a pro team’s player is a bit wrong imo. Only 2 players admittedly but if I was an NCL player I’d personally be annoyed if I lost my place to a loan player, especially as a back who don’t really occupy a bench spot. 
The same argument could be said for semi pro teams mind but amateur players play because they love the game, not because of financial benefits. Also is there a limit in terms of division, a fringe super league player is vastly different to a fringe league 1 player

Edited by rugbylad09
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rugbylad09 said:

Not sure how I feel about that personally. Whilst I think the difference in ability from the prem to league 1 is minimal, potentially taking someone’s spot to only benefit a pro team’s player is a bit wrong imo. Only 2 players admittedly but if I was an NCL player I’d personally be annoyed if I lost my place to a loan player, especially as a back who don’t really occupy a bench spot. 
The same argument could be said for semi pro teams mind but amateur players play because they love the game, not because of financial benefits. Also is there a limit in terms of division, a fringe super league player is vastly different to a fringe league 1 player

I'm sure that NCL coaches will do right by their regular squads and many of them have already taken that point.  Current strong squads number wise may well choose not to use this option anyway.  For some who have occasionally struggled to put 17 on the teamsheet this initiative will be very welcome. Unlike in the Pro game the Community Coach will have sole control of team selection.In the first instance dual registered players will be required to offer themselves to the club from which they signed and the hope is that at least a few  will decide to stay.

NCL management have worked through the details with the RFL , all clubs were made aware of the thinking behind it before voting and the actual Appendix to the NCL competition rules will be websited for all to have a look at  shortly. 

I believe the details are to be shared  and will be followed throughout the whole game.

3 hours ago, del capo said:

I'm sure that NCL coaches will do right by their regular squads and many of them have already taken that point.  Current strong squads number wise may well choose not to use this option anyway.  For some who have occasionally struggled to put 17 on the teamsheet this initiative will be very welcome. Unlike in the Pro game the Community Coach will have sole control of team selection.In the first instance dual registered players will be required to offer themselves to the club from which they signed and the hope is that at least a few  will decide to stay.

NCL management have worked through the details with the RFL , all clubs were made aware of the thinking behind it before voting and the actual Appendix to the NCL competition rules will be websited for all to have a look at  shortly. 

I believe the details are to be shared  and will be followed throughout the whole game.

Yeah definitely a compelling point around retention and availability, can only make the competition stronger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2024 at 13:15, del capo said:

It's taken longer than what I expected for this to happen,

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2024 at 13:20, rugbylad09 said:

Looks like siddal have utilised this straight away with whitton from Cornwall and milnes from Bradford 

I thought this was to give players who not getting a game at semi pro game time. Not for teams to sign established players 

6 minutes ago, Cumbria1 said:

I thought this was to give players who not getting a game at semi pro game time. Not for teams to sign established players 

Milnes played 21 times for Siddal last year. Maybe just coming home ?

This is all about giving players game time not available to them in the semi pro game . Whitton wanting a run out in West Yorkshire rather than Cornwall probably fits that bill....

18 hours ago, del capo said:

Milnes played 21 times for Siddal last year. Maybe just coming home ?

This is all about giving players game time not available to them in the semi pro game . Whitton wanting a run out in West Yorkshire rather than Cornwall probably fits that bill....

Sorry but this is not what the duel reg was proposed. Whitton is Cornwalls 1st choice full back is he not? The duel reg is or was proposed to give players who have signed semi pro game time rather than them sign and not play much.