Lewis Jones r.i.p.

9 minutes ago, bywellram12 said:

I remember him. Don't think he was particularly successful, but I don't recall us having a particularly good team either.

I don't remember him at all but he was hero of my dads.   Apparently a half decent winger.......

I remember him as a player for Leeds, perhaps mostly for his knack of avoiding being tackled and as coach with us. 
His bald head (hair around the sides and back) made him look old before his time, like Cliff Broadhead, who was a loose forward for Dewsbury. 

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 04/03/2024 at 21:29, NickD said:

I don't remember him at all but he was hero of my dads.   Apparently a half decent winger.......

Stand off, I believe, and a player of real quality

He coached us for about 7 matches way back in 1977/78, when we had one of our brief forays into the First Division, as it was then called. This included his first match in control when we beat Leeds (his old club) at home 18-12 with Phil Artis having an outstanding game. He was succeeded as player-coach by Jeff Grayshon whose reign was almost as short, but that is another story.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Stand off, I believe, and a player of real quality

He coached us for about 7 matches way back in 1977/78, when we had one of our brief forays into the First Division, as it was then called. This included his first match in control when we beat Leeds (his old club) at home 18-12 with Phil Artis having an outstanding game. He was succeeded as player-coach by Jeff Grayshon whose reign was almost as short, but that is another story.

Half-decent? One of the game's all time greats. Dual code international with 400 apps and over 2900 points

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Jones_(rugby,_born_1931)

And remember 18-12 win well, we were bottom and Leeds were going great guns.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Half-decent? One of the game's all time greats. Dual code international with 400 apps and over 2900 points

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Jones_(rugby,_born_1931)

And remember 18-12 win well, we were bottom and Leeds were going great guns.

And the ground was rocking, packed to the rafters (😉 😉)

The "good old days" weren't as good as some remember.

(It was NickD who said "half-decent" but I won't take it to heart.)

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

He was a class act as a player. I knew a Welsh bloke through work who'd been at school with him. This bloke reckoned that Jones was a natural at any sport that involved a ball and could also have made a living at soccer or cricket. 

Just the sort of natural sportsman who sometimes finds it difficult to coach into others what comes so easily to them. 

Nice to have the memory nudged about Clifford Broadhead. I remember him playing loose forward 60 or so years ago. I think he was the blacksmith at Thornhill Pit for his day job.

Edited by STEVE P
Typo

On 06/03/2024 at 12:08, Blind side johnny said:

And the ground was rocking, packed to the rafters (😉 😉)

The "good old days" weren't as good as some remember.

(It was NickD who said "half-decent" but I won't take it to heart.)

half decent was 100% tongue in cheek.  My dad reckons he was best at centre...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NickD said:

half decent was 100% tongue in cheek.  My dad reckons he was best at centre...

Centre was the position in which I mostly recall him playing; he was just as good at full back and stand off, but playing on the wing was probably his most notable playing spot.

Legs, Dews, Legs.