RFL/RLPA suing Toronto Wolfpack

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

I remember seeing a short clip of Elstone, early on, walking down a corridor and the reporter asked him about Toronto and he said something to the effect of "Never going to happen...how many times does an owner have to be told he is not welcome".  

Hmmm.

Any links for this - as that would be genuinely shocking?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kayakman said:

This is an interesting point....there were a couple of supplier getting paid (also players) problems early on.  Some problems in Championship but the money was flowing.  I remember seeing a short clip of Elstone, early on, walking down a corridor and the reporter asked him about Toronto and he said something to the effect of "Never going to happen...how many times does an owner have to be told he is not welcome".   It began to devolve from there....he made his position (and that of the majority SL owners)  quite clear.

I think the take of what Fighting Irish says in his post is most correct account of what actually occurred.

Sorry K'man could you please clarify for me, are you saying that after this 'cilp' of Mr Elstone coming out with a derogatory statement in the direction of Mr Argyle and his club and you saying "it began to devolve from there", have you got any indication at the timescale of Mr Elstone making this remark?.

It must have been after November 2019 because that is the time that TWP speculated a lot of money with the signing of one SB Williams. 

So we now go into the 2020 season and all the players are domiciled at home in the UK, training and playing all the 6 games they contested away from Canada before resigning their position from SL in July '20, so my question is are all the accrued debts to the players/suppliers just for the 2020 season or are there some still hanging over from 2019 to Canadian suppliers prior to the signing of Sonny Bill, could it be the reputed $10M 2 year contract for SBW pushed TWP over the edge, and as @fighting irish suggested there was a sum of money put forward (all very feasible) and you condoning that suggestion as 'the most correct account of what actually occurred' could it be that money just ran out?

Something's just occurred to me about the debts.

Did Sonny Bill get paid?

Or is he part of the group suing for unpaid wages. 

14 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Something's just occurred to me about the debts.

Did Sonny Bill get paid?

Or is he part of the group suing for unpaid wages. 

He was probably the only one to get paid 🤐

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

Hmmm.

Any links for this - as that would be genuinely shocking?

This is the thing Dave...I looked for it before but there is nothing there....it wasn't a formal press conference or anything , he was leaving a meeting in a corridor but it was around the time that he was appointed.

It happened, the fix was in.   I mentioned it in some posts on here at the time.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry K'man could you please clarify for me, are you saying that after this 'cilp' of Mr Elstone coming out with a derogatory statement in the direction of Mr Argyle and his club and you saying "it began to devolve from there", have you got any indication at the timescale of Mr Elstone making this remark?.

It must have been after November 2019 because that is the time that TWP speculated a lot of money with the signing of one SB Williams. 

So we now go into the 2020 season and all the players are domiciled at home in the UK, training and playing all the 6 games they contested away from Canada before resigning their position from SL in July '20, so my question is are all the accrued debts to the players/suppliers just for the 2020 season or are there some still hanging over from 2019 to Canadian suppliers prior to the signing of Sonny Bill, could it be the reputed $10M 2 year contract for SBW pushed TWP over the edge, and as @fighting irish suggested there was a sum of money put forward (all very feasible) and you condoning that suggestion as 'the most correct account of what actually occurred' could it be that money just ran out?

We all know that there were some problems with suppliers and players getting paid on time before SBW...I know you know this for a fact Harry since you talked to some of the actual players involved about what was going on (nudge, nudge, wink, wink; we both know that Harry).

Some of the suppliers were on this very forum complaining about not being paid properly (I poo pooed them at the time in defence of my club but it turns out they were correct, I apologize now).  Then there was the problem with the players getting cheques before Xmas that one year between League 1 and Championship.  Both of theses things fit perfectly in the narrative of Fighting Irish and his analysis.

The comments Elstone made were well before the SBW signing as I recall.  I think it was as Fighting Irish says; the management team was given a budget by Argyle and they mishandled parts of it from there.  Once the SL thing became a forced reality and SL made it very clear they wanted nothing to do with Toronto...Covid hit....well then Argyle was forced to fish or cut bait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We all know that there were some problems with suppliers and players getting paid on time before SBW...I know you know this for a fact Harry since you talked to some of the actual players involved about what was going on (nudge, nudge, wink, wink; we both know that Harry).

Some of the suppliers were on this very forum complaining about not being paid properly (I poo pooed them at the time in defence of my club but it turns out they were correct, I apologize now).  Then there was the problem with the players getting cheques before Xmas that one year between League 1 and Championship.  Both of theses things fit perfectly in the narrative of Fighting Irish and his analysis.

The comments Elstone made were well before the SBW signing as I recall.  I think it was as Fighting Irish says; the management team was given a budget by Argyle and they mishandled parts of it from there.  Once the SL thing became a forced reality and SL made it very clear they wanted nothing to do with Toronto...Covid hit....well then Argyle was forced to fish or cut bait.

Thanks that answers all my questions, the debts were built up over time, not just in their final season and subsequently not payed, and still owed when Mr Argyle resigned the club from the RFL, that is what I assumed all along.

What chance of all those owed money getting anything, even if the legal ruling goes against TWP.?

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks that answers all my questions, the debts were built up over time, not just in their final season and subsequently not payed, and still owed when Mr Argyle resigned the club from the RFL, that is what I assumed all along.

What chance of all those owed money getting anything, even if the legal ruling goes against TWP.?

More accurate: Some of the debts were built up over time and many accounts were subsequently properly settled before the final season.  I talked to a supplier over here ( I know him) and he was always paid.  Fighting Irish was correct in his narrative.

The chance of those owed money I would put at zero....as I'm sure you recall there was a proper proposal to pay these debts put forward but it was subsequently nixed by RFL (a shocker).