Championship Restructure thread

Seems it will be 2 down one up this season with The Championship having 13 teams.Then the season after 2026 it will go down to 12 teams with a top 6 play off.Going to introduce a format like middle eights where the bottom Championship teams and top League one teams will be involved.With no chance of SL under IMG i think this will be last season .I am not forking out more money to watch meaningless games.

Edited by marklaspalmas

Following a detailed six-month review involving all Tier Two and Three clubs alongside the RFL executive, the Betfred Championship will become a 13-team division for one season only in 2025, with League One expanding to become at least 10 teams - and applications to be invited for an 11th (for full details, see the summary below).

Promotion and relegation between the Championship and League One will be determined by a Super Eights style competition involving the top teams in League One, and the lowest-ranked teams in the Championship.

Full details are still being worked through, but the impact will be to reduce the number of teams in the Championship in 2026 to 12.

https://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1665/rfl-statement-|-betfred-championship-and-league-one-restructure---2024-26

Other rumours around that SL will expand to 14 with Catalans and Toulouse being admitted but receiving no central funding and paying travel expenses for visiting teams.....

Betfred Championship and League One clubs have today had confirmation of a managed transition of the competition structure below Super  League over the next two seasons, to produce two divisions of 12 clubs from 2026...

At the MO only 23 teams so I wonder will we be getting a new Frenchy in the mix

Edited by POR

7 minutes ago, POR said:

Betfred Championship and League One clubs have today had confirmation of a managed transition of the competition structure below Super  League over the next two seasons, to produce two divisions of 12 clubs from 2026...

At the MO only 23 teams so I wonder will we be getting a new Frenchy in the mix

New club to make up two divisions of 12 by invitation.That leaves them plenty of scope to pick who they want.I think if they get a short list of 3 the Championship and League one clubs should have a vote .Lowest in first ballot drops out and the everyone votes again on the final two.

• marklaspalmas changed the title to Championship Restructure thread
13 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Following a detailed six-month review involving all Tier Two and Three clubs alongside the RFL executive, the Betfred Championship will become a 13-team division for one season only in 2025, with League One expanding to become at least 10 teams - and applications to be invited for an 11th (for full details, see the summary below).

Promotion and relegation between the Championship and League One will be determined by a Super Eights style competition involving the top teams in League One, and the lowest-ranked teams in the Championship.

Full details are still being worked through, but the impact will be to reduce the number of teams in the Championship in 2026 to 12.

https://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1665/rfl-statement-|-betfred-championship-and-league-one-restructure---2024-26

Other rumours around that SL will expand to 14 with Catalans and Toulouse being admitted but receiving no central funding and paying travel expenses for visiting teams.....

Hwo do they think is going to watch this ######?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Seems it will be 2 down one up this season with The Championship having 13 teams.Then the season after 2026 it will go down to 12 teams with a top 6 play off.Going to introduce a format like middle eights where the bottom Championship teams and top League one teams will be involved.With no chance of SL under IMG i think this will be last season .I am not forking out more money to watch meaningless games.

It could be three down and two up if you read the detail.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It could be three down and two up if you read the detail.

Yes i don't think it is decided yet.It will help the League one clubs,i am glads about that but will stifle ambition from the top half a dozen Championship clubs.

4 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

So promotion is OK down the 2 leagues under SL but not for them lol.

What if the top Championship side played the bottom SL side in a play off.With 2.5 points for the Championship team winning.If the SL team is still rated higher they stay up.No that would never happen because it evens things up.

1 minute ago, sentoffagain2 said:

What if the top Championship side played the bottom SL side in a play off.With 2.5 points for the Championship team winning.If the SL team is still rated higher they stay up.No that would never happen because it evens things up.

Be summett to look forward to.