Expect the Unexpected

That is the tagline I've been seeing for the Cup Final ticket advertisements on my social media feeds. There's a very big push on the fact that we have had 7 different winners of the comp in the past 7 years.

It hadn't even occurred to me that had been the case till I saw it. Add in that Salford (behind closed doors admittedly) and Huddersfield (at Spurs) have also made the final in that time too. Shows how wide open and not very predictable the cup can be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

That is the tagline I've been seeing for the Cup Final ticket advertisements on my social media feeds. There's a very big push on the fact that we have had 7 different winners of the comp in the past 7 years.

It hadn't even occurred to me that had been the case till I saw it. Add in that Salford (behind closed doors admittedly) and Huddersfield (at Spurs) have also made the final in that time too. Shows how wide open and not very predictable the cup can be?

Here's one for you that's kind of mind blowing... every current team in SL apart from London has played in a CC final since 2017.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Here's one for you that's kind of mind blowing... every current team in SL apart from London has played in a CC final since 2017.

Wow, that is a good stat.

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

And every single one of those years, we have had the "it'd be nice to see a new name on the cup" moans as the Final approaches.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And every single one of those years, we have had the "it'd be nice to see a new name on the cup" moans as the Final approaches.

Its definitely an odd narrative really isn't it!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes the CC is an exciting comp, it’s a shame the GF hasn’t been won by a bigger spread of teams to liven that up also. 

Its been contested by a decent number in that time too though.

Due to its format there should be plenty of different winners of a cup competition or at the very least many different teams competing in the final especially with it basically been an all Super League comp anyway. Having a draw basically makes it about short term luck where as the league format makes it more about skill hence why we have seen less winners.

It's a nice thing to push though if it's going to help put bums on seats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Due to its format there should be plenty of different winners of a cup competition or at the very least many different teams competing in the final especially with it basically been an all Super League comp anyway. Having a draw basically makes it about short term luck where as the league format makes it more about skill hence why we have seen less winners.

Yes but it’s strange that even with the play off jeopardy we’ve still only seen 4 winners of the GF, and while other teams have won the LLS they haven’t been able to see if over the line. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The playoffs are essentially a cup competition though.

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

The playoffs are essentially a cup competition though.

They are but the format is in favor of the teams that are the best over the course of a number of games like it should be. This compared to a randomly drawn cup which only has 4 teams from outside the top flight in it when the SL teams enter. The variance in that is always going to provide a larger number of winners than the play off system.