Women's Super League, Round 1 (April 19th/21st)

Leeds v Huddersfield Leeds by 74

Wigan v Barrow Wigan by 36

Warrington v Fev Warrington by 6

York v Saints York by 8

Like Richard mentions with the Sky cameras been at Leeds its a shame that the game couldn't be televised somewhere but with the likely big score you can see why. Got the feeling Leeds will want to put on a show with it been a double header. Warrington game should be interesting, the Fev squad has a few new faces in that I'm familiar with and i'm looking forward to see how those players go about stepping up to this level this season.

31 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Sky cameras are at Wigan and Leeds for the men’s games, so does anyone know if there’ll be any highlights of the two women’s games? 

Isn't this where Super League+ should be doing something?

• Like 1

There are mismatches between top-half teams and bottom-half teams in every division in every sport. In RL, as we know, disparities are cruelly magnified on the scoreboard.

Early signs are that Huddersfield haven't closed the gap on the big three. Wait and see with Wigan. 

Wire are the big disappointment. Over five years after they formed a women's team it's clear the club are not yet prepared to do what's necessary to take them to the next level. If this year the women's team of a club the size of York put 70/80 points on the women's team of a club the size of Warrington, certain blokes should be feeling rather embarrassed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Leeds predictably running away with it against Huddersfield.

It was 0-0 at half-time Wigan v Barrow.

Home side on top second half.

Rease Casey is in the Wigan starting 13. Don't know too much about her, but the pedigree indicates she should be a major addition.

Reace Casey is an Aussie who plays mainly in the backrow and I believe Wigan have another Australian joining soon.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

2 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

Reace Casey is an Aussie who plays mainly in the backrow and I believe Wigan have another Australian joining soon.

Yep, I posted something about her (wildly off-topic ) in the Hull KR Ground thread.

What I meant was I don't recall seeing her play. Although I will have, in the Tarsha Gale final against the Dragons.

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Yep, I posted something about her (wildly off-topic ) in the Hull KR Ground thread.

What I meant was I don't recall seeing her play. Although I will have, in the Tarsha Gale final against the Dragons.

She played one or 2 games off the bench for the Clydesdales.

She will be a handy for Wigan but nothing special.

The unconfirmed next Wigan signing is a prop and no name yet but I hope they can add a bit of size and power because Wigan are probably the smallest side.

At this stage Wigan are nowhere near the big 3 but hopefully when Vicky Molyneux, Molly Jones, Eva Hunter & Cary’s Marsh are back they should be more competitive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

because Wigan are probably the smallest side.

That was noticeable last night.

Likely be more noticeable against the big 3.

7 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

At this stage Wigan are nowhere near the big 3 

Fair assessment. Unfortunately.

Anna Davies gets better. Genuine strike player.

The big miss for York tomorrow against Saints will be Sinead Peach, with the solution being (as it so often for the Valkyrie) Georgie Hetherington to Hooker. Expect a strong bench of Jas Bell, Kelsey Gentles, Jess Sharp and Lucy Eastwood.

Third part of York RLFC's documentary series has been released today - it focuses on the Valkyrie. I think all fans of women's RL will enjoy this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

That was noticeable last night.

Likely be more noticeable against the big 3.

Fair assessment. Unfortunately.

Anna Davies gets better. Genuine strike player.

Agree mate, Anna Davies has improved out of sight and in my opinion should make the England squad for the June test v France.

Having said that I also want to see Amelia Brown get a start too, her try v Leeds was fantastic, no other winger in WSL could have scored it.

5 hours ago, RBKnight said:

The big miss for York tomorrow against Saints will be Sinead Peach, with the solution being (as it so often for the Valkyrie) Georgie Hetherington to Hooker. Expect a strong bench of Jas Bell, Kelsey Gentles, Jess Sharp and Lucy Eastwood.

Third part of York RLFC's documentary series has been released today - it focuses on the Valkyrie. I think all fans of women's RL will enjoy this.

I think Lucy Eastwood will also fill in at hooker, can’t wait to see this game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

I think Lucy Eastwood will also fill in at hooker, can’t wait to see this game. 

Yes, Lucy I imagine will spell for Georgie, and potentially for Liv Gale at half-back, who played first game back from a broken rib last week off the bench

The Valkyrie have recruited very well, and have good cover in every position. Most of the squad are versatile and can cover two or three positions without noticeably weakening the team. Sinead and Elisa Akpa missing today, but it is still a very strong squad. Today should be a cracker with both sides wanting to lay down a marker for the weeks ahead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not according to my abacus.

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not according to my abacus.

Last try for Saints didn't count - Scouse allowance from  ref where possession from scrum should never have been theirs - they can now go home and pull their own hair for fun on the long coach journey back

This is an observation rather than a gripe -

Thought the ref should have called more ruck infringements in the first half. When defences are too good, we need a quicker ruck.

Can understand why refs let things go, but the consequence of leniency is defenders start feeling entitled to slow it down even when they lose the tackle and floor.

Saw the difference, second half.