Match thread: Championship Round 6. Whitehaven v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 28th April 2024.

For me the best thing about yesterday's game was that Whitehaven's coach has said it was their best performance of the season (and fair play to them they did play well), for me it was our worst, yet we still managed to get 2 points. Otherwise, I'm not surprised that Fordy sounded so unimpressed in his post-game interview, as he said we were miles off across the board.

In particular, Gebbe had an outstanding game for them and must have made at least 5 clean breaks but we played him like we had no idea that he had any ability and our defence just repeatedly opened up, our tackling was really poor, and our right edge defence looked weaker than ever, conceded 4 tries down that side and it probably should have been 6 or 7.

It's difficult to be too harsh though because we are clearly struggling to put out 17 at the moment and different players are popping up in different positions each way so it's not surprising we lack cohesion in attack and defence and it sounds like a couple of the changes came late in the week which doesn't help in that regard.

The Jones at half back experiment was probably worth a try after he helped create the 2 crucial tries against Widnes but the Whitehaven game probably showed that we lose more from not having him at 9 than we gain from having him at 6.

Would be nice to see a response next weekend as if we play like that again even against a struggling Halifax team we'll be in trouble.

34 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

For me the best thing about yesterday's game was that Whitehaven's coach has said it was their best performance of the season (and fair play to them they did play well), for me it was our worst, yet we still managed to get 2 points. Otherwise, I'm not surprised that Fordy sounded so unimpressed in his post-game interview, as he said we were miles off across the board.

In particular, Gebbe had an outstanding game for them and must have made at least 5 clean breaks but we played him like we had no idea that he had any ability and our defence just repeatedly opened up, our tackling was really poor, and our right edge defence looked weaker than ever, conceded 4 tries down that side and it probably should have been 6 or 7.

It's difficult to be too harsh though because we are clearly struggling to put out 17 at the moment and different players are popping up in different positions each way so it's not surprising we lack cohesion in attack and defence and it sounds like a couple of the changes came late in the week which doesn't help in that regard.

The Jones at half back experiment was probably worth a try after he helped create the 2 crucial tries against Widnes but the Whitehaven game probably showed that we lose more from not having him at 9 than we gain from having him at 6.

Would be nice to see a response next weekend as if we play like that again even against a struggling Halifax team we'll be in trouble.

Just watching the Fax match now on YouTube and it looks like a much improved performance by them than in recent weeks and some of their expansive play might cause us a few problems next week. Think we really need a speedy recovery from Lacans and then we can stop rejigging the pivotal positions. I didn't go to Whitehaven but what some fans are saying on Facebook that the best side lost so the two points taken from there might prove to be valuable for our quest for a top six position.

15 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Just watching the Fax match now on YouTube and it looks like a much improved performance by them than in recent weeks and some of their expansive play might cause us a few problems next week. Think we really need a speedy recovery from Lacans and then we can stop rejigging the pivotal positions. I didn't go to Whitehaven but what some fans are saying on Facebook that the best side lost so the two points taken from there might prove to be valuable for our quest for a top six position.

Lacans maybe out for a while depends what he's damaged ! Should try to bring in a loanee for a month if it's that bad.

27 minutes ago, Cas rover said:

Lacans maybe out for a while depends what he's damaged ! Should try to bring in a loanee for a month if it's that bad.

Yes I think it's vital that something is sorted out because Turner is causing defenders problems with his running game and with a settled partner who knows what he could produce. Until then and I am fully aware of Fevs financial position then us supporters will have to be grateful for ugly wins just like the one yesterday.

• Like 2

Now the dust has settled I've had a laugh talking about Haven heard moans and groans about how we are rubbish from the same people who said they were fed up with us running up cricket scores and winning easy every week :kolobok_laugh1:

13 minutes ago, POR said:

Now the dust has settled I've had a laugh talking about Haven heard moans and groans about how we are rubbish from the same people who said they were fed up with us running up cricket scores and winning easy every week :kolobok_laugh1:

I've not heard or seen any haven fans moaning or groaning saying you guys are rubbish? All I've seen is regarding the officiating at the weekend.

I've maybe picked this up wrong and you aren't meaning it's us saying it?

20 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

This part is true N  :kolobok_grin:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I've not heard or seen any haven fans moaning or groaning saying you guys are rubbish? All I've seen is regarding the officiating at the weekend.

It's the Fev fans that made the journey who are saying we were rubbish. This is who POR is referring to. I didn't go to this one myself but going by the highlights I think Whitehaven look like they have a very capable team. It is important however to point out that Fev are still finding their way after a very difficult start to the season as compared with previous years and in no way should the opposition use them as a benchmark as to where they themselves are. Bradford I think made that mistake and in our recent game with them I saw two very ordinary sides that lacked their main pivots and both sides had players playing out of position. Like Whitehaven, Fev will be in the mix for a top six spot. Good luck.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

It's the Fev fans that made the journey who are saying we were rubbish. This is who POR is referring to. I didn't go to this one myself but going by the highlights I think Whitehaven look like they have a very capable team. It is important however to point out that Fev are still finding their way after a very difficult start to the season as compared with previous years and in no way should the opposition use them as a benchmark as to where they themselves are. Bradford I think made that mistake and in our recent game with them I saw two very ordinary sides that lacked their main pivots and both sides had players playing out of position. Like Whitehaven, Fev will be in the mix for a top six spot. Good luck.

I've no doubt come the end of the season Fev will be there or there abouts. From a haven point of view we've been hopeful that when the weather improves and pitches firm up it may suit us better and that showed on Sunday, from a Fev point of view like you said, this season has been difficult but you have a lot of new players to work with and have a few of them missing at the moment, best of luck 👍

• Like 4