Sun 19th May: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SUNDAY 19th MAY
Cornwall v Oldham    13:00
Midlands Hurricanes v Newcastle Thunder    14:00
North Wales Crusaders v Keighley Cougars    14:30
Rochdale Hornets v Workington Town    15:00

Wins for Oldham, Hurricanes and Hornets...although the Hornets v Town game could be very close.

Can Crusaders get points over Keighley? Well.... we'd have to be on top form to beat them, and after watching the game at Cougar Park I'm not confident we are quite there yet. I expect a Cougars win but I'd be happy with a strong performance and pushing them all the way and keeping the scorelines close. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2024 at 17:54, Yorks Tim said:

Midlands Hurricanes 66 v 4 Newcastle Thunder

Blimey! Maybe I should put bets on in future.

A game of 2 halves though. Newcastle were strong in defence in the first half and Midlands were unable to establish a comfortable lead. Thunder came close to scoring just before the break and, at 16-6 potentially, there would have been fears of a repeat of the previous week's upset against Cornwall.

Second half was much better for Hurricanes as the visitors tired and the tries coming thick and fast. Not back to our best yet but signs that we have the momentum back to trouble Crusaders next week

• Like 1

Not the happiest of days in Old Colwyn unfortunately. After a competitive and entertaining first half and start of the second the Cru fell apart in the last quarter, the only downside for Keighley was one of their players having to be stretchered off with what look like from where I was a serious leg injury. With the next two games being a Hurricanes side that's discovered their mojo away and Oldham at home plus only a thin crowd today and the club raising the financial storm cones, things are looking a bit worrying down by the seaside.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2024 at 21:05, sheddingswasus said:

Some close games this weekend. 

Hardly….average score was 42-11 and smallest margin was 20points but thats with the benefit of hindsight of course.

The fixture list does nothing to help clubs build crowds. In the case of Rochdale, after next weekends game at Newcastle we have only 2 games in 42 days…just as we are getting our injured players back and finding some form. I am struggling to find another league in rugby or any other sport, with such a screwed up schedule of games (or no games).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

The fixture list does nothing to help clubs build crowds. In the case of Rochdale, after next weekends game at Newcastle we have only 2 games in 42 days…just as we are getting our injured players back and finding some form. I am struggling to find another league in rugby or any other sport, with such a screwed up schedule of games (or no games).

It doesn't help looking at the league table either with some team having already played 9 game and some have only played 7. Its impossible to judge form given the difference in the amount of games teams have played....and then we all play dofferent strength teams 3 time...its a total shambles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Not the happiest of days in Old Colwyn unfortunately. After a competitive and entertaining first half and start of the second the Cru fell apart in the last quarter, the only downside for Keighley was one of their players having to be stretchered off with what look like from where I was a serious leg injury. With the next two games being a Hurricanes side that's discovered their mojo away and Oldham at home plus only a thin crowd today and the club raising the financial storm cones, things are looking a bit worrying down by the seaside.

A good assessment of todays game...our 5th tackle decision making was absent and we just couldn't finish our sets with any meaningful plays. 

A massive call to arms by the club to get fans in seems to have fallen on deaf ears and the crowd was bolstered by a good amount of travelling support from Keighley.

Best wishes to the lad who was stretchered off...wishing him a speedy recovery.