TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Any truth in the rumour

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

It was mentioned in another thread (next licensing period one) that Toulouse are planning on dropping out of the Championship due to financial problems. Anyone know if this is true or just rumour mongering?

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 27 2010, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was mentioned in another thread (next licensing period one) that Toulouse are planning on dropping out of the Championship due to financial problems. Anyone know if this is true or just rumour mongering?

Probably started by some twitchy Widnes fans wink.gif
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 27 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably started by some twitchy Widnes fans wink.gif

Actually by Toulouse's biggest proponent

#4 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 27 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually by Toulouse's biggest proponent

Interesting news if true as the RFL want them in Super League by 2015.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Very sad if it's true.

(Laughing my t1t$ off mode at paris.) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

WTF!!! will he be saying now. wacko.gif wacko.gif

Paris
Marseille
Lyon
Toulouse ............ooooooooooopppppppppppsss.....Bang
Nice
Nantes
Strasbourg
Montpellier
Bordeaux
Rennes
Le Havre
Reims
Lille
Saint-Étienne
Toulon
Grenoble
Angers
Brest
Le Mans
Dijon

Or maybe he'll put me on IGNORE wink.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 27 July 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#6 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 27 July 2010 - 08:15 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Would be very bad for the RFL if it were true, would have thought they would be fast-tracked into SL.

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Jul 27 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

Good call.

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Jul 27 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was not meeting some of the qualifying criteria; reaching finals etc.

#10 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Article in the local La Depeche newspaper 22/07 headline:

Les Minimes : TO XIII, le stade Arnauné will be expanded for "Super League"

Carlos Zalduendo and Hugues Henry TO XIII management met the City Council on the 15th July to discuss the development of the stadium at Minimes and the club's bid for a SL place. The plans are for the stadium to be expanded to hold 12000 at a cost of €13M. The club need a decision from the Council by November.

Its difficult to work out how the club can presently make the figures work out financially. It's not through the gates. They do have lots of sponsors and partners and Toulouse is a fairly properous place.

They are not picking up the best local players presently who appear to earn better money playing in the local competition. They have about ten full time players I think including the overseas contingent. They have the young apprentices too who could be mixing their studies with training.

The decision of possibly their best player Nathan Wynn to leave and sign for Lezignan is an odd one. But it appears he may be earning more playing at a lower level and not having the travel to put up with.

Carlos recently attended the CC clubs latest meeting where they agreed in principle to accept TO into next seasons NRC. In the local comp starting in September a team called St Gaudens-Toulouse will be playing. Last season the entente was unofficial with Toulouse lending lots of their youngsters to the Pyreneen club.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 27 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very sad if it's true.

(Laughing my t1t$ off mode at paris.) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

WTF!!! will he be saying now. wacko.gif wacko.gif

Paris
Marseille
Lyon
Toulouse ............ooooooooooopppppppppppsss.....Bang
Nice
Nantes
Strasbourg
Montpellier
Bordeaux
Rennes
Le Havre
Reims
Lille
Saint-Étienne
Toulon
Grenoble
Angers
Brest
Le Mans
Dijon

Or maybe he'll put me on IGNORE wink.gif wub.gif wub.gif

He's trying to turn it into a positive.

To be honest I'd say the Championship is just for British (and nominally Irish) clubs and say teams can apply for SL if they've made a French Elite 1 in the previous 3 years provided they meet the same criteria as English clubs would have to (perhaps as part of an expansion if a French TV deal comes

#12 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 27 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest I'd say the Championship is just for British (and nominally Irish) clubs and say teams can apply for SL if they've made a French Elite 1 in the previous 3 years provided they meet the same criteria as English clubs would have to (perhaps as part of an expansion if a French TV deal comes

I agree he tries to be positive, but the last few months has been too many Ifs buts and maybes

thats my point.

I also agree on the second part of your post.

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 27 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Nominally Irish"???
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Rugby League has some really poor strategy.

To put Toulouse into a poorly funded and supported second tier was a joke. RU would never have done that

Also putting a single French team in SL was also a joke. For RL to flourish in France we need at least 3 teams playing SL teams week in week out

Why not have a UK SL of 14-16 teams plus a smaller regional French pool of five (Catalans, Provence, Toulouse, Aude, Dordogne-Lot) teams, where each team somehow plays 28 fixtures with a single league table and a playoff at the end. The French teams could play each other home/away twice and some SL clubs. Extra cash would come from French Satellite channels.

Would require initial investment but would work a treat.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 28 2010, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby League has some really poor strategy.

To put Toulouse into a poorly funded and supported second tier was a joke. RU would never have done that

Also putting a single French team in SL was also a joke. For RL to flourish in France we need at least 3 teams playing SL teams week in week out

Why not have a UK SL of 14-16 teams plus a smaller regional French pool of five (Catalans, Provence, Toulouse, Aude, Dordogne-Lot) teams, where each team somehow plays 28 fixtures with a single league table and a playoff at the end. The French teams could play each other home/away twice and some SL clubs. Extra cash would come from French Satellite channels.

Would require initial investment but would work a treat.
Sounds terrible. Really.

You think that 16 Uk teams and 5 French teams would be better than the current setup? It may be something to aspire to, but the standard would be appalling.

#16 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

I dont thing Lobby is a Million Miles away with 16 in SL. Of course the Turkeys already in SL wont vote for it as 10% of their funding will disappear. The key element would be to bring in a 5% levy on all income for SL clubs to place into a pot for the 2 remaining clubs. If there is a shortfall then so be it but if there is an excess then the balance can be carried over and used as a starter for the following season. Too radical I suppose.

I would also look at Annual Licences with a return to P & R for the two clubs concerned - one from SL & 1 from CC.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Segovia Carpet @ Jul 28 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont thing Lobby is a Million Miles away with 16 in SL. Of course the Turkeys already in SL wont vote for it as 10% of their funding will disappear. The key element would be to bring in a 5% levy on all income for SL clubs to place into a pot for the 2 remaining clubs. If there is a shortfall then so be it but if there is an excess then the balance can be carried over and used as a starter for the following season. Too radical I suppose.

I would also look at Annual Licences with a return to P & R for the two clubs concerned - one from SL & 1 from CC.
I'm happy for the game to work towards a 16 team SL, then 18, then 20 etc. perhaps split into conferences etc.

It was the criticism of the league to put one French team in, suggesting that there should instead of been three more English teams and four more French teams. How the hell would that strengthen the game. I do believe that there should be a clear strategy which has the aim of getting us to this stage, but we had to start somewhere and putting Catalans in was much more sensible than introducing 5 French teams into the SL in one go.

#18 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Cas and Wakey out, Widnes and Toulouse (by the back door) in then???

With Salford's new stadium seemingly set they seem safe. Quins are the other doubt due to uncertainty over their ground and their poor crowds, but the London factor should give them another 3 years.

Somehow, I feel that the RFL sending both Cas and Wakey down would lessen the blow somewhat, in a strange way. Fans seem to be finding that they are unwilling to compromise, so maybe 3 years in the Championship would do them good while they sort out their grounds. I'm sure the competition will expand at least to 15 in 2014, after the boom of hosting the World Cup.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#19 skep155

skep155
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

I think we have to be realistic, 16 teams is likely going to be the absolute maximum for a long time to come if we ever want the standard of the competition to improve. Toulouse should be aiming for 2015 now, unless an SL side goes bust before then.

#20 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Jul 28 2010, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Nominally Irish"???

Theoretically would probably be a better word. I meant it should be open to British and Irish clubs even if in practice there won't be any of the latter at least in the immediate future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users