League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Poll: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds (11 votes [44.00%])

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

2. Wigan (13 votes [52.00%])

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Jul 31 2010, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're kidding yourself. Wigan were at least two scores better than your lot. The conditions and the fact that Leeds benefited from some very dubious refereeing calls saved you from an embarrassment IMO.

I'd be interested to know what your "very dubious calls " were exactly. The big decisions he had to make were,

A] Ablett on tomkins

B] Ryan halls disallowed try

C] gouldings knock on directly before gleesons try

D] coleys sin binning.

The one he got badly wrong was coleys sin binning for me. He was committed to the tackle and ganson misread the situation. He also missed gouldings knock on before gleesons try, but the touch judge was stood next to him and should have seen that, i wouldn't blame ganson for that. As for halls try, yes he knocked on. He was also correct to put ablett on report because there's no way he could have seen exactly where ablett caught tomkins in real time. If you think he's missed some massive game changing decisions then you were watching a different game to me.

#122 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 30 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carl Ablett isn't a dirty player (even for Leeds!) but that deserves at least a 2 match ban. It doesn't matter that it was on 'The Precious One', no attempt at tackling, just a forearm to the face.

I hate Ryan Bailey, I think he's a blight on Super League, and on the Leeds side, and if he were to never play in Super League again I'd be happy, but I think his raised knee was poor technique at a time when everyone was giddy and he'll recieve a warning letter.

Joel Tomkins should also get a ticking off for charging in like that, brotherly love and all that but he can't lose his head like that. Slapped wrist sufficient.

The rest of the game, pretty standard stuff. Including the compulsory forward passes!

I wonder if when arguing your like of R/L to non-believers you ever claim it is not so much a 'contact sport as rather a collision sport'?
I agree that both instances in the game that you typify were bad, especially the one by Ablett and neither do I condole malicious or deliberately dirty play, as these incidents were.
But an over sanitised R/L is not for me and it is one reason why I prefer the NRL and its content, as the tolerance levels are better from their refs and do allow the game mainly more flow.

On a personal note, I do not hate Ryan Bailey, not one bit.
In fact I like his style which is combative, with a no-quarter given, nor expected, attitude.
Precisely the manner in which a R/L forward is expected to perform, if you prefer the non-combative version, so be it but for me when that takes over I will watch only the NRL where players of Baileys ilk are more the norm than the exception.

#123 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 31 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be interested to know what your "very dubious calls " were exactly. The big decisions he had to make were,

A] Ablett on tomkins

D] coleys sin binning.

The one he got badly wrong was coleys sin binning for me. He was committed to the tackle and ganson misread the situation. He also missed gouldings knock on before gleesons try, but the touch judge was stood next to him and should have seen that, i wouldn't blame ganson for that. As for halls try, yes he knocked on. He was also correct to put ablett on report because there's no way he could have seen exactly where ablett caught tomkins in real time. If you think he's missed some massive game changing decisions then you were watching a different game to me.

That one alone had a major influence on the outcome. It enable Leeds to turn what would have been a rout into a damage limitation exercise.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#124 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,167 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Wigan were faster and more aggressive on the night, although the scoreline flattered them a little.
Here's a serious question for BOAB:
When Leeds knocked Wigan out of the cup you were quick to condemn Lee Smith for his attitude when he scored, after leuluais try last night, Joel Tomkins stood in front of the Carnegie stand and shouted"F###ing get that into you" aimed into the stand and not the players.Is that acceptable and is it any different to what Lee Smith did?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#125 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 31 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing crazy about Ganson influence on last nights result.

I think it says it all when you supporters in the pub who are normally telling me to shut up for going on about the referee when themselves are calling Ganson every name name under the sun.

Ganson always has been a ###### referee who just can't resist the spotlight.

Whatever the circumstances, you made a promise to not bleat on about refs here, which you have failed to keep, not for the first time.

#126 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Well done to the pies last night, they were by far the better side.

As for the main talking points on this thread: Ablett has to take at least two games ban for the elbow on Sam Tomkins. I do beleive that if Ganson had referred the incident to the video ref,then Ablett wouldn't have walked anyhow as the VR was last years GF VR Phil Bentham,...say no more.

Bailey is just an out and out thug who is quickly filling the vacancy left by Terry Newtons' departure.

The Coley sin binning was laughable, I saw no sin binning offence there.

Leeds have no chance of retaining the SL title this year. If their average 20 points score conceded for the past consecutive games ,(Phil Clarke Last Night), is repeated next week, then they won't be going to Wembley either.

#127 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 31 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A] Ablett on tomkins

D] coleys sin binning.

Don't forget that Clarkson knocked on in the act of scoring Leeds first try - why Ganson didn't go to the screen is beyond me. What is more, this aside, Leeds would not have scored in a month of Sundays but for the Coley sinbinning which again was beyond me.

#128 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wigan were faster and more aggressive on the night, although the scoreline flattered them a little.
Here's a serious question for BOAB:
When Leeds knocked Wigan out of the cup you were quick to condemn Lee Smith for his attitude when he scored, after leuluais try last night, Joel Tomkins stood in front of the Carnegie stand and shouted"F###ing get that into you" aimed into the stand and not the players.Is that acceptable and is it any different to what Lee Smith did?

Well I didn't see Tomkins do what you claim, however if he did then his behaviour was just as unacceptable as that of Lee Smith in the cup QF, one can only hope that the RFL will view both incidents consistently.

#129 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 31 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever the circumstances, you made a promise to not bleat on about refs here, which you have failed to keep, not for the first time.

Any chance you can stop quoting Walter Mitty plz wink.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#130 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 30 2010, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least Leeds do have a plan B, thuggery.

This based purely on the 2 notable incidents last night?

Or where there others i missed in the game?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#131 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Just been told that the Wigan supporters coach was bricked last night by the allotments on St Michael's Lane. Apparently two girls received facial injuries and many other supporters were showered with broken glass. The Police were called and the ambulance service was required to attend to the injured. The supporters were unable to set off back to Wigan until around midnight arriving back at about 1.30am. Just hope the injured girls are OK and not put off from following the club in the future.

I have to say that at every level, from the chief executive, through the coaching staff, the players and now down to the speccies, The Leeds Rhinos is a club that is leaving a bad taste at the moment.

Thugs on the field and thugs off it.

It is about time that the authorities brought them back to earth - some hope!!

dry.gif

#132 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,167 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Jul 31 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just been told that the Wigan supporters coach was bricked last night by the allotments on St Michael's Lane. Apparently two girls received facial injuries and many other supporters were showered with broken glass. The Police were called and the ambulance service was required to attend to the injured. The supporters were unable to set off back to Wigan until around midnight arriving back at about 1.30am. Just hope the injured girls are OK and not put off from following the club in the future.

I have to say that at every level, from the chief executive, through the coaching staff, the players and now down to the speccies, The Leeds Rhinos is a club that is leaving a bad taste at the moment.

Thugs on the field and thugs off it.

It is about time that the authorities brought them back to earth - some hope!!

dry.gif

Don't tar us all with the same brush, every club has a bad element, even yours, nothing has been reported about this in Yorkshire, if this did happen lets hope the girls involved are ok.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#133 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 31 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any chance you can stop quoting Walter Mitty plz wink.gif

biggrin.gif Sorry mate, managed to give you four quotes in one, just to give you a taste of what I presume you are missing...

#134 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 31 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif Sorry mate, managed to give you four quotes in one, just to give you a taste of what I presume you are missing...

I scrolled hastily down

Im missing nothing, trust me

#135 Optimus

Optimus
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Jul 31 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dry.gif

What are you on about you goon???

Any behaviour like what you reported should not be tolerated and If it is true I hope they catch whoever is responsible and string the little *wats up!

Leeds is an excellently run RL club and most of the players are gents off the pitch.

Granted we have a small element of di**heads in the crowd but so does every club in the league.
"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"
Laurie Dailey

#136 motorface

motorface
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

I can't believe the hysterical comments in reaction to last night's match from fans of various clubs. Wigan are certainly no angels themselves and that's how it should be, this is Rugby League after all. If you don't like it then start watching soccer if the rough stuff is too much for you. Never heard so much sanctimonious bs.

#137 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

It is the sanctimonious bs that is the board's most attractive feature.

#138 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Iíve been in self-imposed exile form the forum for a good few months, in the hope that an absence of posts from me would raise the level of debate. Clearly, this has not worked.

It would therefore be better if NE and 3owls kept quiet and let people think their contributions might be ill-thought out and inaccurate , rather than they continue posting and prove it for all to see.

#139 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (motorface @ Jul 31 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe the hysterical comments in reaction to last night's match from fans of various clubs. Wigan are certainly no angels themselves and that's how it should be, this is Rugby League after all. If you don't like it then start watching soccer if the rough stuff is too much for you. Never heard so much sanctimonious bs.

RL is a very tough game that allows you to hit the opposition very hard in a legal way. When players overstep the mark, they rightly get criticised, nothing sanctimonious.

I love the rough stuff, and my team have the likes of Morley, Westwood and L Anderson who play on the edge, and at times they will kop plenty of stick, just like the rougher players at any club.

An elbow to somebody's face or raising your knee to somebody's body as they are making a tackle, is not rough, they are cheap shots and deserved of criticism. There were some blinding legal hits in the game last night, and that is the roughness that people appreciate, not the two above mentioned incidents.

#140 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Optimus @ Jul 31 2010, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are you on about you goon???

Any behaviour like what you reported should not be tolerated and If it is true I hope they catch whoever is responsible and string the little *wats up!

Leeds is an excellently run RL club and most of the players are gents off the pitch.

Granted we have a small element of di**heads in the crowd but so does every club in the league.

Agreed, I have no issues with Leeds at all and before the match I wanted them to win last night, although changed my mind during the game.

A couple of bad incidents (on and off the field) should not see everybody at the club tarred with the same brush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users