Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls v Catalans Dragons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Bradford Bulls v Catalans Dragons (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Bradford (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Catalans (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#101 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Four years ago, we put thirty points past the Wests Tigers and were World Club Champions.

Two weeks ago, Salford put thirty past us. Today, Crusaders put sixty past Salford.

That sums up how good we are.

Thank you very much, Mr Steve McNamara. dry.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#102 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

Well I've had one PM message for a copy of the game, anyone else want a copy when I get the dvd later on in the week?

You'll see the most shocking and puzzling referee display that you'll ever see in your life.

#103 Smog

Smog
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Aug 2 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Four years ago, we put thirty points past the Wests Tigers and were World Club Champions.

Two weeks ago, Salford put thirty past us. Today, Crusaders put sixty past Salford.

That sums up how good we are.

Thank you very much, Mr Steve McNamara. dry.gif

Whilst I share your view on the current position of the club, Steve McNamara was only ever an employee - the blame lies higher up the tree IMO.

The club has also gone from being the leagues shining example of how to do things like marketing and community involvement activities to being a complete joke in these areas in the same time frame.

#104 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Smog @ Aug 2 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst I share your view on the current position of the club, Steve McNamara was only ever an employee - the blame lies higher up the tree IMO.

The club has also gone from being the leagues shining example of how to do things like marketing and community involvement activities to being a complete joke in these areas in the same time frame.

Completely agree. It is the boards penny pinching and short sightedness is what's really at the root of where we are today. There's a saying in business that when times get tough, you can't afford to not spend money. Actually, I made that up but it sounds like it comes from Dragons Den anyway.

Cutback on this, cutback on that...can't afford this, release this player,...and look where we are, slumming it with the lower orders. Damn them to hell!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#105 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Are you going to the Fans Forum John?

Should make for an interesting evenings entertainment.

#106 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 2 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just changed jobs mate and am now working that night. Give 'em some grief for me!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#107 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 2 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope Mick doesn't do a Gordon Ottershaw and destroy the Barnstoneworth or in his case Bulls club rooms biggrin.gif
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#108 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:25 AM

Bradford played without two first choice players

Matt Orford
Brett Kearney.

Catalans played without six first choice players:

Clint Greenshields
Jean-Philippe Baile
Dallas Johnson
Jerome Guisset
Casey McGuire
Sebastien Martins

Bradford had home ground and home crowd advantage.

For the above reasons Les Catalans victory was an impressive one.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#109 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#110 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 2 2010, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bradford played without two first choice players

Matt Orford
Brett Kearney.

Catalans played without six first choice players:

Clint Greenshields
Jean-Philippe Baile
Dallas Johnson
Jerome Guisset
Casey McGuire
Sebastien Martins

Bradford had home ground and home crowd advantage.

For the above reasons Les Catalans victory was an impressive one.

The only thing that Catalans should be impressed about is the massive penalty count in their favour.

#111 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Aug 2 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just changed jobs mate and am now working that night. Give 'em some grief for me!

I think the key question John for mine is this,

After another dismal year in which the onfield performances have matched the players, which have once again showed no pride, no passion, no motivation and no heart, just what are you going to do to change the mind of the disconcerted supporters who are currently season pass holders but are not going to renew next year.

Because as with any business, the key to success is attracting and keeping customers through offering them a product that they want and love (Watching a side giving 100% effort and showing the pride, passion and the heart and motivation of wanting to put on and wear the famous red, amber and black).

Instead of Ryan Ducket coming out in the T&A and blaming the customers for no longer having an interest in the product (the stay away supporters), do you not feel that you should be trying to offer your customers incentives to watch?

If you are then what incentives are you offering fans to return or renew for next season?

Edited by Tommy The C5t, 02 August 2010 - 07:23 AM.

#112 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 2 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the key question John for mine is this,

After a third consecutive dismal year in which the onfield performances have no pride, passion, motivation or heart, and given that the key to a successful business is attracting and keeping customers through offering them a product that they want, enjoy and embrace, what are you going to do to attract the disconcerted supporters who are currently season pass holders but are unlikely to renew next year?

Mick - taken liberty of reducing the length of your question for the fans forum. Assuming you are still keen enough to go - would you ask the one below please;

"If it is a fact that the cost of staying at Odsal Stadium is not financially viable and we must leave, can you confirm or state where the Bradford Bulls are likely to be based and how you will market that change to the fans on this occassion?"

How does that sound? Interesting?

#113 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

At the end of the day the Bulls lost because the didn't defend early on and wasted far too many chances, clear cut chances, which should have been taken. I thought they defended well after the first ten minutes, including some lengthy periods on our line. The line was superb and the tackling excellent for large parts of the game, but the game was probably lost due to the general lack of confidence surrounding the club at present, very noticeable when in possession.

I'm sorry but I can't let the inept performance of the referee pass without comment. He wasn't the cause of our loss, we were bad enough on our own to do that, but his awarding of penalties which left both sides both puzzled and fuming at various stages of the game and drove fans at the ground to fury. How he could get to the stage of giving a Bulls player ten minutes for repeated offside when did didn't give a single penalty against the Cats in the same period, despite them being just as guilty as we were, was almost criminal.

Quote from Connor Murphy, Bradford Telegraph and Argus: James Child's performance was at times farcical and the inconsistent way he refereed the game only contributed to the chaos on the pitch, rather than bringing any kind of order to the proceedings. End quote.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#114 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

In agreeing with Bulliac's point, i want to add the following pre-cursor to my own point:

The referee did not cost Bradford the match

however, what is it with James Child and the seeming need he has to make every game he referees all about him? I apologise mods if i'm over-stepping the mark around commenting on officials here but this guy really got my goat yesterday and i'm hoping that with me not having any previous you'll indulge me on this a little.

This referee is the only one i can remember in recent times who actually swings the momentum of the game away from teams with baffling decisions that are simply unjustified or by making non-decisions that are clear penalties simply because he seems to want to make a point that he (in his opinion) is the most important person on the field and not the players that we have actually paid to watch. Referees can make mistakes, i accept that, so can i as a fan caught up in the heat of a game, i plead guilty but honestly the game yesterday was at times little about what the Bulls or Catalans wanted to do and more about which interpretation of the rules the ref was going to apply from one set to the next; a number of decisions were farcical to say the least and the only consistency was the inconsistency save for two decisions for moving off the mark (one penalty to each side).

The first half was a complete non-event, in the main because of its stop start nature, which was caused by the referee simply not allowing the players to get on with the game. It was a match that could not in any way be described as having a nasty, overly physical edge to it but the number of penalties was completely at odds with what i'm stating here and the number of times he called Lynch out to speak to him was ridiculous; if Child really thought he had a point, he should have sent a Bradford player to the bin long before he did but in my opinion, he knew that he had made several mistakes and was simply trying to cover himself by shifting the blame for the game's poor ebb and flow onto the players.

The second half was a much better spectacle when it seemed to me someone had had a word in the ref's shell like and told him he was ruining the game as a spectacle and that in fact, those fans that had decided to come to the ground had actually paid to watch the players decide the outcome through their skill (or lack of it) and not based on a referees whims.

It's not the first time this ref has ruined a game for me (and i'm not just talking about Bradford matches) and i'm sure it won't be the last.

#115 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Aug 2 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Completely agree. It is the boards penny pinching and short sightedness is what's really at the root of where we are today. There's a saying in business that when times get tough, you can't afford to not spend money. Actually, I made that up but it sounds like it comes from Dragons Den anyway.

Cutback on this, cutback on that...can't afford this, release this player,...and look where we are, slumming it with the lower orders. Damn them to hell!!

Bradford cant blame this, its been tough times financially for most clubs. There's only really been Warrington & Leeds who have been splashing cash & signing players over the last few years.
Look at Wigan & Saints, they've hardly made any signings (concentrating more on bringing their own youngsters through) and yet they sit 1st & 3rd on the table

#116 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,286 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 2 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bradford cant blame this, its been tough times financially for most clubs. There's only really been Warrington & Leeds who have been splashing cash & signing players over the last few years.
Look at Wigan & Saints, they've hardly made any signings (concentrating more on bringing their own youngsters through) and yet they sit 1st & 3rd on the table

So saints didn't sign Gidley, soliola , pulutua,in the past few years then?

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#117 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Bulligerent @ Aug 2 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I apologise mods if i'm over-stepping the mark around commenting on officials here but this guy really got my goat yesterday and i'm hoping that with me not having any previous you'll indulge me on this a little.

To reiterate our stance, we will not stop people calling refs ###### or criticising their performance, it's just that we get seriously fed up of people calling refs bent. People can have an abysmally ###### day at the office without being on the take!

Criticise Childs all you want as long as you don't stray into the libel fields...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#118 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 2 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So saints didn't sign Gidley, soliola , pulutua,in the past few years then?

All signed on free transfers - Damn good pieces of business from the Saints board !

#119 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

In agreeing with Bulliac's point, i want to add the following pre-cursor to my own point:

however, what is it with James Child and the seeming need he has to make every game he referees all about him? I apologise mods if i'm over-stepping the mark around commenting on officials here but this guy really got my goat yesterday and i'm hoping that with me not having any previous you'll indulge me on this a little.

This referee is the only one i can remember in recent times who actually swings the momentum of the game away from teams with baffling decisions that are simply unjustified or by making non-decisions that are clear penalties simply because he seems to want to make a point that he (in his opinion) is the most important person on the field and not the players that we have actually paid to watch. Referees can make mistakes, i accept that, so can i as a fan caught up in the heat of a game, i plead guilty but honestly the game yesterday was at times little about what the Bulls or Catalans wanted to do and more about which interpretation of the rules the ref was going to apply from one set to the next; a number of decisions were farcical to say the least and the only consistency was the inconsistency save for two decisions for moving off the mark (one penalty to each side).

The first half was a complete non-event, in the main because of its stop start nature, which was caused by the referee simply not allowing the players to get on with the game. It was a match that could not in any way be described as having a nasty, overly physical edge to it but the number of penalties was completely at odds with what i'm stating here and the number of times he called Lynch out to speak to him was ridiculous; if Child really thought he had a point, he should have sent a Bradford player to the bin long before he did but in my opinion, he knew that he had made several mistakes and was simply trying to cover himself by shifting the blame for the game's poor ebb and flow onto the players.

The second half was a much better spectacle when it seemed to me someone had had a word in the ref's shell like and told him he was ruining the game as a spectacle and that in fact, those fans that had decided to come to the ground had actually paid to watch the players decide the outcome through their skill (or lack of it) and not based on a referees whims.

It's not the first time this ref has ruined a game for me (and i'm not just talking about Bradford matches) and i'm sure it won't be the last.

Agree and nowhere in here have I said he did or that he was bent against the Bulls yesterday, we lost the game because of the dropped ball and silly mistakes.

All I've done is pass comment on the most disgraceful referee performance I've ever seen.

As for the final part I totally agree with what you say about Mr Child.

Far too many games this season he's been hell bent on destroying games and yesterday the eight Catalans penalties in a row crippled us and got the Catalans a 10-0 lead.

#120 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Agree and nowhere in here have I said he did or that he was bent against the Bulls yesterday, we lost the game because of the dropped ball and silly mistakes.

All I've done is pass comment on the most disgraceful referee performance I've ever seen.

As for the final part I totally agree with what you say about Mr Child.

Far too many games this season he's been hell bent on destroying games and yesterday the eight Catalans penalties in a row crippled us and got the Catalans a 10-0 lead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users