TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Your Clubs Out-of-Contracts

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Smog

Smog
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (The Boy Saint @ Jul 31 2010, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please please please let that be true! dry.gif

From what ive heard the following are out of contract at Saints:

Flannery - GET RID
Meli - GET RID
Chris Dean - GET RID
Nick Fozzard - Keep
Paul Wellens - Keep
Leon Pryce - Keep
Maurie Fa'asavalu - Signed for Quins RU
Keiron Cunningham - retired (Coach)
Matt Gidley - Retired
Matty Smith - Signed for Salford

Leon has another 12 months on his contract at saints

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22323162/

Personally I think it would be good business for the bulls to get the cheque book out and make saints an offer. We desperately need to make some signings this year that will not only strengthen the team, but will also will generate some optimism and ticket sales.

#22 Smog

Smog
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 31 2010, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rikki Sheriffe
Chris Nero
Stuart Reardon
Steve Menzies
Jamie Langley
Michael Worrincy
Craig Kopczak
Steve Crossley
Andy Tate
Joe Wardle
Adam O'Brien
Danny Addy
Vinny Finigan

From the list above the most important players to resign are Langley (who has been great this year when not injured) and some of the 'up and coming' youngsters like Finigan, Addy and Wardle.

I think Steve Menzies has been great for the club but both he and Nero will have to go to free up wages and quota places.

As for the rest, the questions are which ones Mick Potter thinks he can get an improvement out of, how much they want and possibly who effects the home grown player quota.

I think at least 3 more players (in addition to Menzies and Nero) will need to be released for the club to have the funds to do anything in the transfer market that will start to win back missing fans.

#23 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Smog @ Aug 1 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Steve Menzies has been great for the club but both he and Nero will have to go to free up wages and quota places.

nero doesnt count on quota next year.

#24 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

As far as I am aware at wires it's only Mathers out and Hodgson in.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (matt newsholme @ Aug 1 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nero doesnt count on quota next year.

Bearing in mind this year's performances, we might not have been any lower in the table if we didnt have any overseas players at all. In my opinion: -
- Nero, Orford, Hall and LeStrange have not justified the extra expense of employing foreign players.
- Wigan, Saints, Warrington and Leeds have better players who are not getting picked every week.

If Steve Menzies is going home then, given the chance, Brett Kearney is the only one I would wish to keep. He's so much better than the rest of the back division that I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to play somewhere else ... where there would be a better chance of winning some trophies.

Assuming we keep Kearney, we need six new players for next season. Priority is an organiser for halfback. Second priority is an enthusiastic talisman player that the team can rally round. Third priority is an enforcer prop. Fourth priority is a livewire hooker. Fifth priority is a powerful centre. Sixth priority is a tackling machine second row. We've plenty of promising youngsters who can each play ten to fifteeen games through the season without getting burnt out or worn out.

We could then be really good again in 2012.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Aug 2 2010, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assuming we keep Kearney, we need six new players for next season. Priority is an organiser for halfback. Second priority is an enthusiastic talisman player that the team can rally round. Third priority is an enforcer prop. Fourth priority is a livewire hooker. Fifth priority is a powerful centre. Sixth priority is a tackling machine second row. We've plenty of promising youngsters who can each play ten to fifteeen games through the season without getting burnt out or worn out.

You don't want much do you? biggrin.gif

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Aug 2 2010, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Priority is an organiser for halfback. Leon Pryce

Second priority is an enthusiastic talisman player that the team can rally round. Jarrod Sammut

Third priority is an enforcer prop. Nick Fozzard

Fourth priority is a livewire hooker. Brad Drew or Julien Rinaldi

Fifth priority is a powerful centre. Someone from Welsh RU, which has plenty

Sixth priority is a tackling machine second row. Lee Radford

We've plenty of promising youngsters who can each play ten to fifteeen games through the season without getting burnt out or worn out.

Edited by Wolford6, 02 August 2010 - 07:51 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

IMO cas need

1 centre (shenton leaving)

1 big impact forward (sargent leaving id take feka)

my ideal cas team next year

1 mathers
2 dixon
3 mcgoldrick
4 BIG NAME CENTRE
5 owen
6 chase
7 orr
8 huby
9 hudson
10 feka
11 ferris
12 widders
13 westerman

14 snitch
15 jones 2ND HOOKER IF HUDSON NEEDS 10
16 jackson
17 higgins

KEEP
arundel
milner
thompson
holmes
walker

OUTS
evans
wainwright
clayton

Edited by jackknife, 02 August 2010 - 09:09 AM.

COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#29 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

It would be a shame to leave Owen on the wing. I wonder whether we might see Mathers in the halves, which i have long thought would be worth a shot.

#30 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Anyone interested in Alker ?

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 02 August 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Smog @ Aug 1 2010, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leon has another 12 months on his contract at saints

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22323162/

Personally I think it would be good business for the bulls to get the cheque book out and make saints an offer. We desperately need to make some signings this year that will not only strengthen the team, but will also will generate some optimism and ticket sales.

To be honest, I think you're putting hope above experience if you believe there is any chance of the club finding the sort of cash which might tempt Saints to part with Pryce. Unless there is some mystery backer in the wings that we haven't been told about. Being realistic, when we didn't pay the full cap this season, and don't know whether we will next, so it's pretty hard to imagine we'd be in any position to spend money on transfer fees, without it impacting even more on our ability to pay up to the cap.

I appreciate that living within your means and not spending what you haven't got isn't sexy, and that fans would definitely love to see a 'big name' in the side, but I think good housekeeping is probably the better option, much as I would love to see Leon out on the pitch with Matt Orford next year. I'm not sure who might be available but hopefully there must be a decent, out of contract half, somewhere who can whet the appetite of the fans. It's certainly a fact that the plan of entering the season without cover for the halves has been a dismal failure and shouldn't be repeated.

Edited by Bulliac, 02 August 2010 - 10:05 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#32 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Aug 2 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, I think you're putting hope above experience if you believe there is any chance of the club finding the sort of cash which might tempt Saints to part with Pryce. Unless there is some mystery backer in the wings that we haven't been told about. Being realistic, when we didn't pay the full cap this season, and don't know whether we will next, so it's pretty hard to imagine we'd be in any position to spend money on transfer fees, without it impacting even more on our ability to pay up to the cap.

I appreciate that living within your means and not spending what you haven't got isn't sexy, and that fans would definitely love to see a 'big name' in the side, but I think good housekeeping is probably the better option, much as I would love to see Leon out on the pitch with Matt Orford next year. I'm not sure who might be available but hopefully there must be a decent, out of contract half, somewhere who can whet the appetite of the fans. It's certainly a fact that the plan of entering the season without cover for the halves has been a dismal failure and shouldn't be repeated.

brett kimmorley was montion by nrl commentry as possibly a target by english clubs next year
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#33 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Nero 100% leaving and apparently first of a few. (T&A)

Heard from a reliable source that the only two we are involved with siging are Feka (Nailed on ohmy.gif ) and Leon (who was at the game - yes I know he lives near!) despite having a year left. Allegedly a bit of player power forced Potter's hand but Pryce was one who stuck up for Potter.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#34 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Aug 1 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have either Meli or Gardiner to be honest. Yes Saints fans dn't like either but they are consistently top of the table and can be picky!!

Jeeze if these 2 are the level of your ambition then you'll be out of the play-off's for years to come. Gardner is non-existant with out top class centre inside him (he's had Gleeson, Lyon & Gidley) and Meli will cost you as many tries as he scores with some absolute howlers (though he is pretty good when he can be bothered).

At Saints there will quite a bit of room left under the cap for next year. KC, Gidley, Maurie & Fozzard are definately leaving. Meli, Flannery, Dean & Wellens have not yet been offered new contracts (though I'd expect Wellens to sign one soon). With only Perry signed so far (with Shenton likely soon) there's going to be money to spare.

I'd expect at least 1 more forward from the NRL to be added and huge new long term deals offered to Graham & Eastmond and other improved deals for some of the other youngsters like Ashurst, Dixon, Lomax, Foster, Emmitt & MaGennis.

#35 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Aug 2 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heard from a reliable source that the only two we are involved with siging are Feka (Nailed on ohmy.gif ) and Leon (who was at the game - yes I know he lives near!) despite having a year left. Allegedly a bit of player power forced Potter's hand but Pryce was one who stuck up for Potter.

I thought the Bulls were skint ? where is the money coming from for the transfer fee for Pryce ?? because there's not a cat in hells chance of Saints letting him go for free !

#36 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 2 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeeze if these 2 are the level of your ambition then you'll be out of the play-off's for years to come. Gardner is non-existant with out top class centre inside him (he's had Gleeson, Lyon & Gidley) and Meli will cost you as many tries as he scores with some absolute howlers (though he is pretty good when he can be bothered).

Mmm compared to Sheriffe and Reardon as he is now?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#37 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 2 2010, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the Bulls were skint ? where is the money coming from for the transfer fee for Pryce ?? because there's not a cat in hells chance of Saints letting him go for free !

That was my reply when I heard that too!

#38 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 2 2010, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless they want rid of him.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#39 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 2 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless they want rid of him.

The club stuck by him with his off field troubles, so unless he's been a naughty boy again I can't see why they would wan't rid of him, especially as he's playing some of his best rugby since around 2006.

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Aug 2 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The club stuck by him with his off field troubles, so unless he's been a naughty boy again I can't see why they would wan't rid of him, especially as he's playing some of his best rugby since around 2006.

Did i read somewhere on this forum that he was the only player that backed Potter at saints?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users