Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

St Helens vs Bradford Bulls

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (16 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Bradford Bulls (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. Draw (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

St Helens will be without Graham and Clough as both are added to the injury list. Eastmond however is still a doubt.

We may just have a chance now?

#42 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Saints by an absoule country mile

Easiest game to predict since Bradfrod travelled to Wrexham
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Aug 11 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose the main difference is that a lot of the Bulls support went from expecting a lot in the trophy cabinet to getting nothing pretty quickly - which is why I suppose is why the Wigan comparison is brought up. However this again brings the point back round the fact Wigan is RL through and through and Bradford a city completely apathetic. I'm not saying it doesn't need addressing - it's far easier to point out problems than solve them as the Bulls already know - but retaining the level of support Wigan did should be an aspiration, sure, but using it as a model beat by beat for the Bulls will see it fall down instantly because at the heart of it the general public in Bradford don't care as much about RL as Wigan do.

Very interesting. Someone from Bradford posted at one time the idea that the game is rather limited in the city (to the south??). Maybe even in places like Bradford that can date their Rugby beginnings back to the 1860's there's areas where the game is not developed and needs dare I say "expanding". Good luck on that.....

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 11 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a Bradfordian (rarely admit this in public) - so what I am about to say may annoy my fellow citizens ...

Bradford folk are fickle, rigid, set in their ways and dont accept change, they are happier moaning about "stuff" than being positive and they certainly do not change habits of a lifetime (armchair critical supporters) - in a sentence - a general stereotypical summary.

However, bearing this in mind - what the Bulls achieved at the time was all the more remarkable - a view I have held since the gaps on the terraces got filled (and emptied again).

I was so annoyed that all the hard work was being frittered away that I wrote & met Mr Hood in 2006 - and since then it got worse! I also wrote to Wigan at the time - who were losing games but attendances were rising.

ATEOTD - Wigan had a plan, they stuck to the plan, they moved to a great new stadium, they found the right chairman and they found the right coach - add to that the people of Wigan being if a different ilk to Bradford - and you have what you have at Wigan.

Bradford had a plan, they stuck to the plan but it wasn't as good, we continue to play in a depression inducing hole,the chairman is the only one who wants the job and we backed the wrong coach - add to that the fickle Bradford folk - and you have what you have at Bradford.

Hope this answers at least one question!

Mick - this thread needs re-titling now!

That is also very interesting. I have wonderful memories of many games at Odsal over many years, but it isn't a great stadium today (the first time I walked into it c. 1971, I found it astounding).

Good stadia may help attract people to games, and keep them there like the KC and the HJ and the JJB - and if Bradford had the stadia the crowds may have kept up a bit more.

Let's hope one day they will get that stadia.

#45 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 11 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good stadia may help attract people to games, and keep them there like the KC and the HJ and the JJB - and if Bradford had the stadia the crowds may have kept up a bit more.

Let's hope one day they will get that stadia.

Unfortunately, as I found in 2006, this was "the plan". I raised various points with regard to Customer retention and loss of Customers at the time.

The answer was "A New Stadium" in a nutshell - but that isn't a plan - it's a gamble.

#46 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

The all important meeting with the Council is Monday 26th August.

I guess this is when we find out if it's Odsal or Valley Parade.

But I'm not too keen on the idea of us moving to the Shay.

We have to stay in Bradford.

#47 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 11 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting. Someone from Bradford posted at one time the idea that the game is rather limited in the city (to the south??). Maybe even in places like Bradford that can date their Rugby beginnings back to the 1860's there's areas where the game is not developed and needs dare I say "expanding". Good luck on that.....

I'd go along with that. I'd say one half was City and one half was Bulls with little crossover - no real rivalry though as with some cities. I've mostly found that even if you only support one of the two, you have a respect for the other and want them to do well, even if you don't ever go to the games.

There is certainly room for expansion within the city - I went to upper school in south Bradford and yet during games lessons we played...union, much to the annoyance of the many Bulls fans!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

I'd go along with the jist here. Certainly where I grew up, (North Bfd) there was very little mention of RL or Northern, there was some, just not much. It was mainly City.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#49 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Aug 11 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd go along with that. I'd say one half was City and one half was Bulls with little crossover - no real rivalry though as with some cities. I've mostly found that even if you only support one of the two, you have a respect for the other and want them to do well, even if you don't ever go to the games.

Not sure about this.. Whenever the stadium issue hits the T & A, the vitriol from City fans is intense - add on those from Keighley and it gets worse...

If you mention a ground share - you get the same reaction - some verge on hatred..

Haven't noticed if they are from a few posters or many different ones.

#50 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 11 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure about this.. Whenever the stadium issue hits the T & A, the vitriol from City fans is intense - add on those from Keighley and it gets worse...

If you mention a ground share - you get the same reaction - some verge on hatred..

If you are talking about on the T&A site, the majority of people who post on there do seem to be numpties (both City and Bulls). I think it's a case of those who have a problem with it are most likely to post their bile on there.

All I can go off is my own experience and the City fans I know and have met over the course of my fandom at Northern/Bulls have nothing but well wishes for us. Maybe it's just me.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#51 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Kearney, Halley, L'Estrange, Hall, Lynch, Sheriffe, Scruton, Finigan, Kopczak, Olbison, Menzies, Reardon, Godwin, Crookes, Sykes, Whitehead, Worrincy, Langley, Platt.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 11 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a few city fans who hate the bulls but this is found in every soccer team. Generally most just wish each other well. Keighley? They are just jealous they don't have electricity yet.

#53 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

I don't know the geography very well but the old Steam Pig mag indicated that those people from the West of Bradford (the old Bradford Park Avenue area?) would gravitate towards Burnley rather than Bradford City.
Does this still happen?

#54 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 11 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kearney, Halley, L'Estrange, Hall, Lynch, Sheriffe, Scruton, Finigan, Kopczak, Olbison, Menzies, Reardon, Godwin, Crookes, Sykes, Whitehead, Worrincy, Langley, Platt.

stop it!!

What do you think you're playing at posting actual match info here biggrin.gif

Edited by amh, 11 August 2010 - 03:13 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#55 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Finn @ Aug 11 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know the geography very well but the old Steam Pig mag indicated that those people from the West of Bradford (the old Bradford Park Avenue area?) would gravitate towards Burnley rather than Bradford City.
Does this still happen?

Not that I've ever heard of since I've grown up in that sort of area. Certainly a new one on me.
SQL Honours

#56 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Finn @ Aug 11 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this still happen?

There are a few Burnley fans as you move out towards Shipley/Skipton..in that general direction I have seen several Burnley stickers. And for some reason one of my nephews is a Burnley fan.

#57 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

I must say that when I was at school (St Bede's) up in Heaton.

The rivalry between City and Bulls supporters was fierce.

I also remember our years down at Valley Parade and the City supporters didn't like it one bit that we were playing at their beloved ground.

The stewards took things to the next level and didn't help.

I remember our first ever game there vs Widnes in the cup and they were very heavy handed in their approach towards us, viewing us with the same mentality as the wendyball inbreds.

#58 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 11 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a Bradfordian (rarely admit this in public) - so what I am about to say may annoy my fellow citizens ...

Bradford folk are fickle, rigid, set in their ways and dont accept change, they are happier moaning about "stuff" than being positive and they certainly do not change habits of a lifetime (armchair critical supporters) - in a sentence - a general stereotypical summary.

However, bearing this in mind - what the Bulls achieved at the time was all the more remarkable - a view I have held since the gaps on the terraces got filled (and emptied again).

I was so annoyed that all the hard work was being frittered away that I wrote & met Mr Hood in 2006 - and since then it got worse! I also wrote to Wigan at the time - who were losing games but attendances were rising.

ATEOTD - Wigan had a plan, they stuck to the plan, they moved to a great new stadium, they found the right chairman and they found the right coach - add to that the people of Wigan being if a different ilk to Bradford - and you have what you have at Wigan.

Bradford had a plan, they stuck to the plan but it wasn't as good, we continue to play in a depression inducing hole,the chairman is the only one who wants the job and we backed the wrong coach - add to that the fickle Bradford folk - and you have what you have at Bradford.

Hope this answers at least one question!

Mick - this thread needs re-titling now!

There is definitely a difference between support in some other places and ours unfortunately, but it's hard to see what can be done about it. It's pretty impossible to change those habits of a lifetime I guess.

I'm puzzled that you went to see Mr Hood about, "all the hard work being frittered away", since it was his arrival as chairman which actually signalled the end of the "frittering away", ( the previous regime had been losing around 500k per annum, over a number or years, according to published accounts, that's frittering on a massive scale). When you add in signing players who were already signed to another club and having to fork out unreported, but presumably large, amounts for damages after having to concede the court case, then losing so many of our better players from the payroll, and then the coach, followed by the chief exec who wasn't replaced, all to get the finances back in order. I think, to be honest, you might have been better going to see the chairman a few years earlier.

You say Wigan had a plan (not sure if you mean the club or the town, to be honest), but Wigan the club were fortunate when they started their new ground; for starters they had an old ground to sell, which paid off their (substantial) debts and they then found a rich benefactor/chairman to pay for a stadium. Brilliant plan!

Of course, Bradford had a plan for a new ground, ha ha ha! Let's be honest, Bradford has had half a dozen plans for new grounds over the years, and all have fallen foul of something or other, not in the gift of the club to change. Councillors, ridiculously believing the government would choose Bradford over Wembley for a national stadium, ho ho ho; then it was the Tesco fiasco, when having a ground next to a retail park, suddenly became against "government guidelines". Now we're hoping various bodies, many of them public, will put into the sports village, bang in the middle of recession (which looks like doubling up) and where local authorities and educational establishments are being asked to cut back massively.

Wigan of course have already got their ground next to the retail park, but, of course, they stuck to their plan. I guess it's easier to stick to plans when there are fewer people seemingly determined to undermine them. We will, no doubt, carry on regardless, with our chairman who is a decent businessman but, sadly, not mega rich, in our old ground (my fingers are still crossed, but they're beginning to ache a bit and I don't think our fairy godmother is listening ) for a bit longer.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#59 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Can we not have a shiny new match thread?!

Who cares if it's saved on someone's phone.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#60 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Saints by 60-70
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users