Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greg Inglis is considering Super League as an option in 2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

Now it is official:

http://www.smh.com.a...0812-121hu.html

Inglis has stated that he is only going to Brisbane for two (2) years. After that anything is possible. Super League is one option. Another option is a return to the Storm. But SL could happen. He is considering it.

We could have Jamie Lyon back at St Helens in 2012 or 2013 (he loves the club), only this time he will be lapping up the luxury life in their new stadium.

Justin Hodges could also be available. He is off contract at Brisbane in 2012, and he has stated that Super League is an option.

Add Inglis to the mix and you could have three of the world's top four centres (the 4th being Gasnier) in Super League in 2013.

So which club would you like to see Inglis play for other than your own?

Edited by ParisSurtout, 13 August 2010 - 06:07 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#2 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 13 2010, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now it is official:

Inglis has stated that he is only going to Brisbane for two (2) years. After that anything is possible. Super League is one option. Another option is a return to the Storm. But SL could happen. He is considering it.

We could have Jamie Lyon back at St Helens in 2012 or 2013 (he loves the club), only this time he will be lapping up the luxury life in their new stadium.

Justin Hodges could also be available. He is off contract at Brisbane in 2012, and he has stated that Super League is an option.

Add Inglis to the mix and you could have three of the world's top four centres (the 4th being Gasnier) in Super League in 2013.

Well it won't be Wires.

We have Atkins and Bridge...........plus the young welsh lad Evans (watch this space wink.gif )

#3 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

i think he will extend his contract to 3 years at the Broncos, which will take him up to the 2013 World Cup and then decide his long term future after that.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

I'd like to see him sign for Paris, or maybe Toulouse

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

He won't be coming to SL. All he says in the article is that he'll see what happens when the 2 years at Brisbane are up. It just seems to be a few lines aimed at Melbourne fans, to give them some hope that he might head back there in 2013.

Of course if he really wants to come to Warrington, I'm pretty sure we could find some room under the salary cap to accomodate him. wink.gif

#6 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 13 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He won't be coming to SL. All he says in the article is that he'll see what happens when the 2 years at Brisbane are up. It just seems to be a few lines aimed at Melbourne fans, to give them some hope that he might head back there in 2013.

Of course if he really wants to come to Warrington, I'm pretty sure we could find some room under the salary cap to accomodate him. wink.gif

I don't think any SL club could compete with their NRL couterparts. There simply isn't the third party sponsorship deals here to enhance the overall package.

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

With the exchange rate likely to be in the Aussies' favour, a bigger TV deal and more money to keep marquee players, the only hope SL would have would be if Mrs I fancies a few years in England or France. Not holding my breath on that one.

#8 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

He's way too young to retire to the Super League.

#9 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 13 2010, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now it is official:

Will you be changing this thread again to something else in a couple of hours time dry.gif

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Aug 13 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the exchange rate likely to be in the Aussies' favour, a bigger TV deal and more money to keep marquee players, the only hope SL would have would be if Mrs I fancies a few years in England or France. Not holding my breath on that one.

We're a small island nation so he may be tempted by having lots of places to drive his boat

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 13 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bravo! biggrin.gif

_____

#12 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Crusaders, as he'd only be warming the bench in the awesome Wigan side.
wink.gif

#13 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 13 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're a small island nation so he may be tempted by having lots of places to drive his boat

laugh.gif
Did all the other Storm players buy a boat as well?

Edited by thirteenthman, 13 August 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#14 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 13 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif
Did all the other Storm players buy a boat as well?

No, just Greg Inglis apparently.

Perhaps he knew he was going up north, and so he may decide to sail it from Melbourne to Brisbane in the summer time.

_____

#15 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Dont think any Super League clubs could really afford his wages, he is reportedly on around $500'000 a year at Broncos, he was on more at Storm but that was over salary cap. Would you risk such a large amount on one player, Broncos can only afford him due to 3rd party deals

#16 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 13 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Took the words out of my mouth.

Although, personally I think he'll sign for Lezignan.

#17 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (humpy @ Aug 14 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont think any Super League clubs could really afford his wages, he is reportedly on around $500'000 a year at Broncos, he was on more at Storm but that was over salary cap. Would you risk such a large amount on one player, Broncos can only afford him due to 3rd party deals

This issue you raise of 3rd party sponsorship is a real problem for Super League. It is not as lucrative for rugby league in the UK as it is in Australia.

It is another reason why a national profile and hence expansion is so important for the game's financial health.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 14 August 2010 - 10:54 PM.

_____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users