Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England 4 Nations Team

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (markleeds @ Aug 17 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would take Fielden, he could still do a job in the forwards, I think that he will hit some form in the later years of his career.

Fielden v Watmough or Gallen round two.
laugh.gif

#22 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 17 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tomkins

Hall
Senior
Shenton
Briscoe

McGuire
Eastmond

Morley
Lunt
Burgess
Tomkins
Ellis
O'Loughlin

Roby
Graham
Westwood
Sinfield.

I can't get beyond the fact that if Hall is to be played then the most proficient centre/wing pairing in S/L should be maintained, so Senior should be chosen. I also hope that Hall would have improved his tackling technique from the last 4 nations he played in!

McGuire has to get the nod with the form he is in presently, no matter what has occurred with him in the past and with Pryce ruled out, he is easily at the present time head and shoulders above all other stand offs in S/L.

Sinfield I choose reluctantly and only on the basis that he can take a position both in and out of the pack.

Tomkins has to be at FB. Like Slater he has a very special apptitude for that position and should not be denied the right to play there.
Widdop would be in the squad if Sinfield ( once again) did not measure up I would draft him into the line up.
The trouble I find with Sinfields inclusion is the fact that there are TOO many ball players in the squad and not enough runners, although the previous case made for Senior/Hall could likewise apply to Sinfield/McGuire, I would concede.

You will have to expand in the bit in bold for me.

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Aug 17 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mathers
Riley
Bridge
Atkins
Penny
Briers
Myler
Morley
Higham
Carvell
Westwood
Grix
Harrison

Clarke
Wood
Cooper
Blythe

You must really rate Wires highly wink.gif wink.gif

No wonder Wires get slated on here with TROLLING like yours.

#24 markdavies2

markdavies2
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

1.Widdop
2.Briscoe
3.Atkins
4.Senior ( or Lee Smith - Big game player)
5.Hall
6.Mguire
7.Eastmond
8.Morely
9.Sinfield
10.Coley
11.Ellis
12.Burgess
13.O'Loughlin

14.Roby
15.Graham
16.Westwood
17.Harrison

#25 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 17 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yet no doubt the Wire fans will get the stick.
If it ain't broke! wink.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'd rather pick a squad of 24 with a number of young 'uns*, a few older heads too, and I'm unsure of who is properly fit but I'll give it a go;

1. Gareth Widdop
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Michael Shenton
4. Keith Senior
5. Ryan Hall
6. Sam Tomkins
7. Kyle Eastmond
8. James Graham
9. Shaun Lunt
10. Andy Lynch
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Joel Tomkins
13. Sam Burgess

14. Matt Diskin
15. Danny McGuire
16. Adrian Morley
17. Ben Westwood

That was off the top of my head really, I only needed to find a starting hooker, and probably missing some notable names. It's refreshing to have too many good players not considered.

*Leroy Cudjoe, Jonny Lomax, Ben Harrison, Kris Welham, Jodie Broughton, Stefan Marsh, etc. Hmm, quite a few outside backs there...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 17 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually your pisstake shows that Wire could put out a fairly decent all England team, well done!! rolleyes.gif

I thought that at the time. Shows that strength in depth that you guys have.
People called Romans they go the house

#28 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Aug 17 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will have to expand in the bit in bold for me.

Well there is a possibility if Sinfield, Eastmond, Tomkins and to a lesser degree O'Loughlin and latterly Graham are on the field simultaneously, there could be a tendency of a top heavy dependence on playmakers rather than of runners.

Don't forget either that during last years 4 nations Burgess was also prone to a little bit of distribution.
Should on the other hand McNamara decide that all excepting Sinfield are to be runners then the dependency will be entirely the other way around.

I would certainly like to see more expansive ideas come into our game as that I believe is long overdue when we play the Aussies and Kiwis also, to a lesser extent.
Sinfield beyond my expectations, did have a good series last time, but from the acting half-back role, should his presence be used to complement the distibutive role he has for Leeds then I am afraid that he will once again prove to be a catalyst for our defeats. Just my own opinion.

#29 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

[quote name='markdavies2' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:07 PM' post='2101012']

( or Lee Smith - Big game player)

I really do like that one. I do not suppose that you are including his big game performance V OZ in last years 4 nations, when his class act of being out of position ( as a centre ) made Inglis look even better than he most certainly is each and every time he caught the ball: are you?

One swallow never made a spring nor did a G/F performance once do the same for any player. I would not play Lee Smith ever again in tyhe centre V OZ, for the simple reason that he looked and was embarrasing.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 17 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there is a possibility if Sinfield, Eastmond, Tomkins and to a lesser degree O'Loughlin and latterly Graham are on the field simultaneously, there could be a tendency of a top heavy dependence on playmakers rather than of runners.

Don't forget either that during last years 4 nations Burgess was also prone to a little bit of distribution.
Should on the other hand McNamara decide that all excepting Sinfield are to be runners then the dependency will be entirely the other way around.

I would certainly like to see more expansive ideas come into our game as that I believe is long overdue when we play the Aussies and Kiwis also, to a lesser extent.
Sinfield beyond my expectations, did have a good series last time, but from the acting half-back role, should his presence be used to complement the distibutive role he has for Leeds then I am afraid that he will once again prove to be a catalyst for our defeats. Just my own opinion.

Hmm. Graham and Burgess can off load but they are not distributors.

If Sinfield & Roby play at AHB then you need two from the SH; SO and LF to be your pivots. One can be Tompkins, but now he's touted at FB. Eastwood and McGuire are both runner/backing up types of HB. O'loughlin should be handling no more than the water bottles. Pryce drifts in and out of games at the best of times.

So where's our little general/organiser to take us round the field? A Briers/Brough type but someone who's got the legs

We are desperatley short of quality play-makers.

A Fev Blog

#31 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Sinfield & Roby play at AHB then you need two from the SH; SO and LF to be your pivots. One can be Tompkins, but now he's touted at FB. Eastwood and McGuire are both runner/backing up types of HB. O'loughlin should be handling no more than the water bottles. Pryce drifts in and out of games at the best of times.

So where's our little general/organiser to take us round the field? A Briers/Brough type but someone who's got the legs

Which is why i'd play Widdop at 1 and Tomkins at 6. Both can run and play. The ability to do both improves both.

7 is the key position. Myler or Eastmond? Given the running, unpredictable nature of my 1 and 6 i'd like a steady 7 but Myler has been absent nearly every time i've seen Wire this year and i'm not sure whether Eastmond can play this role.

A lot of questions need answering.

#32 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,416 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (bendyas @ Aug 17 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is why i'd play Widdop at 1 and Tomkins at 6. Both can run and play. The ability to do both improves both.

7 is the key position. Myler or Eastmond? Given the running, unpredictable nature of my 1 and 6 i'd like a steady 7 but Myler has been absent nearly every time i've seen Wire this year and i'm not sure whether Eastmond can play this role.

A lot of questions need answering.

Myler doesn't seem to get much game time, and isn't a pivot type either, is he? More like McGuire.

I really couldn't vouch for Widdop. Is he really ready?

A Fev Blog

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

When you look at it , we don't really have a halfback who is a distributor of the ball, most of them are runners.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 17 2010, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you look at it , we don't really have a halfback who is a distributor of the ball, most of them are runners.

Paul Cooke...?!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 17 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paul Cooke...?!

Sorry, international class halfbacks.

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 17 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should've said! rolleyes.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 17 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should've said! rolleyes.gif

Well the thread is about a team for the 4 nations, thought it was fairly obvious. cool.gif

#38 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O'Loughlin has more try assists than any other forward in SL, but let's not let the facts get in the way.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 17 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sooner Stefan Ratchford gets to Bradford the better! We'll get him to a world-beater, legendary status, international class in no time.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 17 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sooner Stefan Ratchford gets to Bradford the better! We'll get him to a world-beater, legendary status, international class in no time.

Oh, how we laughed laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users