England 4 Nations Team

I'd rather pick a squad of 24 with a number of young 'uns*, a few older heads too, and I'm unsure of who is properly fit but I'll give it a go;

1. Gareth Widdop

2. Tom Briscoe

3. Michael Shenton

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. James Graham

9. Shaun Lunt

10. Andy Lynch

11. Gareth Ellis

12. Joel Tomkins

13. Sam Burgess

14. Matt Diskin

15. Danny McGuire

16. Adrian Morley

17. Ben Westwood

That was off the top of my head really, I only needed to find a starting hooker, and probably missing some notable names. It's refreshing to have too many good players not considered.

*Leroy Cudjoe, Jonny Lomax, Ben Harrison, Kris Welham, Jodie Broughton, Stefan Marsh, etc. Hmm, quite a few outside backs there...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to expand in the bit in bold for me.

Well there is a possibility if Sinfield, Eastmond, Tomkins and to a lesser degree O'Loughlin and latterly Graham are on the field simultaneously, there could be a tendency of a top heavy dependence on playmakers rather than of runners.

Don't forget either that during last years 4 nations Burgess was also prone to a little bit of distribution.

Should on the other hand McNamara decide that all excepting Sinfield are to be runners then the dependency will be entirely the other way around.

I would certainly like to see more expansive ideas come into our game as that I believe is long overdue when we play the Aussies and Kiwis also, to a lesser extent.

Sinfield beyond my expectations, did have a good series last time, but from the acting half-back role, should his presence be used to complement the distibutive role he has for Leeds then I am afraid that he will once again prove to be a catalyst for our defeats. Just my own opinion.

( or Lee Smith - Big game player)

I really do like that one. I do not suppose that you are including his big game performance V OZ in last years 4 nations, when his class act of being out of position ( as a centre ) made Inglis look even better than he most certainly is each and every time he caught the ball: are you?

One swallow never made a spring nor did a G/F performance once do the same for any player. I would not play Lee Smith ever again in tyhe centre V OZ, for the simple reason that he looked and was embarrasing.

Well there is a possibility if Sinfield, Eastmond, Tomkins and to a lesser degree O'Loughlin and latterly Graham are on the field simultaneously, there could be a tendency of a top heavy dependence on playmakers rather than of runners.

Don't forget either that during last years 4 nations Burgess was also prone to a little bit of distribution.

Should on the other hand McNamara decide that all excepting Sinfield are to be runners then the dependency will be entirely the other way around.

I would certainly like to see more expansive ideas come into our game as that I believe is long overdue when we play the Aussies and Kiwis also, to a lesser extent.

Sinfield beyond my expectations, did have a good series last time, but from the acting half-back role, should his presence be used to complement the distibutive role he has for Leeds then I am afraid that he will once again prove to be a catalyst for our defeats. Just my own opinion.

Hmm. Graham and Burgess can off load but they are not distributors.

If Sinfield & Roby play at AHB then you need two from the SH; SO and LF to be your pivots. One can be Tompkins, but now he's touted at FB. Eastwood and McGuire are both runner/backing up types of HB. O'loughlin should be handling no more than the water bottles. Pryce drifts in and out of games at the best of times.

So where's our little general/organiser to take us round the field? A Briers/Brough type but someone who's got the legs

We are desperatley short of quality play-makers.

If Sinfield & Roby play at AHB then you need two from the SH; SO and LF to be your pivots. One can be Tompkins, but now he's touted at FB. Eastwood and McGuire are both runner/backing up types of HB. O'loughlin should be handling no more than the water bottles. Pryce drifts in and out of games at the best of times.

So where's our little general/organiser to take us round the field? A Briers/Brough type but someone who's got the legs

Which is why i'd play Widdop at 1 and Tomkins at 6. Both can run and play. The ability to do both improves both.

7 is the key position. Myler or Eastmond? Given the running, unpredictable nature of my 1 and 6 i'd like a steady 7 but Myler has been absent nearly every time i've seen Wire this year and i'm not sure whether Eastmond can play this role.

A lot of questions need answering.

Which is why i'd play Widdop at 1 and Tomkins at 6. Both can run and play. The ability to do both improves both.

7 is the key position. Myler or Eastmond? Given the running, unpredictable nature of my 1 and 6 i'd like a steady 7 but Myler has been absent nearly every time i've seen Wire this year and i'm not sure whether Eastmond can play this role.

A lot of questions need answering.

Myler doesn't seem to get much game time, and isn't a pivot type either, is he? More like McGuire.

I really couldn't vouch for Widdop. Is he really ready?

O'Loughlin has more try assists than any other forward in SL, but let's not let the facts get in the way.

O'Loughlin has more try assists than any other forward in SL, but let's not let the facts get in the way.

Useless stat in the face of the evidence of his showings in an international jersey: solidish defence but prone to giving away penalties, offers nothing with ball in hand. But let's not let club bias get in the way of objectivity.

Useless stat in the face of the evidence of his showings in an international jersey: solidish defence but prone to giving away penalties, offers nothing with ball in hand. But let's not let club bias get in the way of objectivity.

The last full series he played in was the one when we beat the Kiwis.

He was named man of the series.

Yet again, try having an original thought, rather than jumping on the "Lockers give away too many penalties" bandwagon.

When it comes to SL, he is not even in the top 25 of players who give penalties away.

No club bias here, just plain fact. Try facts sometime, they taste good.

Yet again, try having an original thought, rather than jumping on the "Lockers give away too many penalties" bandwagon.

When it comes to SL, he is not even in the top 25 of players who give penalties away.

Correct, leave of lockers all the knockers.

Re Penalties give away...........Stand Up Joel Tompkins :lol::lol:;)

Top of the tree :O

Would that be the worst kiwi side ever to tour this country.

O'loughlin isn't an international class distributor of the ball, I think it's something we lack.Defensively good yes,good with ball in hand so-so.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Yummy :D :D

Good job we only have to go back 3 years for his last good game. aAgainst the worst Kiwis in living memory.

No bandwagon here. Last Wigan game I saw was 48 hours ago. O'Loughlin gave away three penalties on the trot. His side lost. He has a poor tackling technique which sees him take the opposition too high, too often. Daft really, as he is a good round-the-legs tackler.

No club bias here either. Finger lickin' good. ;)

Good job we only have to go back 3 years for his last good game. aAgainst the worst Kiwis in living memory.

No bandwagon here. Last Wigan game I saw was 48 hours ago. O'Loughlin gave away three penalties on the trot. His side lost. He has a poor tackling technique which sees him take the opposition too high, too often. Daft really, as he is a good round-the-legs tackler.

Duck mate, your not allowed an opinion.........Hanners is going to make you eat your words :O

Message to Hanners......What can you say to that??????? ooooooooopppppsss and thats a Championship Fan :lol::P THEY HAVE NO CLUB BIAS and he's presented FACTS

O'Loughlin has been injured for the WC, and the last 4 Nations.

It's not his fault that he hasn't had the chance to build on his last international performances.

O'Loughlin has been injured for the WC, and the last 4 Nations.

It's not his fault that he hasn't had the chance to build on his last international performances.

Righto*. SO, leaving aside question marks over his defence, do you really think he could play pivot for England? First receiver, one side of the ruck, directing operations. I think not, which is why I dismissed his chances of playing as such in the 4N. He's just not that type of LF. The original point remains. We're short of play makers.

* I was going to type 'bloody sick-note too then'. To wind you up like. :dry: