Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RUGBY FOOTBALL LODGE

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION

MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 9 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You demonstrate perfectly what a ludicrous grouping the Masons are, your attempts to give yourselves some legitimacy by pointing to some lodges that admit women (Masonettes?) sounds like the BNP saying they're not a Racist organisation because they have Black and Asian members.
Your assinine efforts to compare 21st century opposition to Masonry to the Nazi occupation of europe is insulting to the millions who did suffer in that horrendous period of history and by making such a ridiculous claim you undermine your own arguments to such an extent as to make all your other statements and arguments untenable. Quite simply you and all your rolled up legged small business men and middle managers should take a good look at yourselves and grow up.

But the masons were persecuted under nazi occupied europe and were murdered in concentration camps - fact.
Whilst the jews had a star of david to mark them out ,masons had an upside down red triangle.

I have up until now openly declared my membership of what i consider to be a harmless benevolent organisation and wondered why some of the secrecy is required as it is bound to attract suspicion.
I suppose some of the elements of the rituals taken at face value do seem a bit strange
But as a result of some of the comments made on this forum it all now makes sense ,i too am now going to be very cautious about my membership for my own protection ,hatred often stems from ignorance but to say i shouldn't be welcomed at Rugby League grounds where i have been a regular since a child because of a hobby i enjoy seems unbelievable in this day and age.

(by the way - i am neither a middle manager or small business man)

MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION - signing off

#42 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION @ Sep 9 2010, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But your persecution complex and pomposity seem more than adequate for the organisation rolleyes.gif
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#43 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

But the masons were persecuted under nazi occupied europe and were murdered in concentration camps - fact.
Whilst the jews had a star of david to mark them out ,masons had an upside down red triangle.

I have up until now openly declared my membership of what i consider to be a harmless benevolent organisation and wondered why some of the secrecy is required as it is bound to attract suspicion.
I suppose some of the elements of the rituals taken at face value do seem a bit strange
But as a result of some of the comments made on this forum it all now makes sense ,i too am now going to be very cautious about my membership for my own protection ,hatred often stems from ignorance but to say i shouldn't be welcomed at Rugby League grounds where i have been a regular since a child because of a hobby i enjoy seems unbelievable in this day and age.

A scout sent from the Rugby Football Lodge to weigh opinion?

Anyway.. where were we?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#44 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

I really think you should get over yourself.

You're a member of a club with some daft, anachronistic rules. You're not being persecuted and noone is stopping you from going to RL matches or doing anything else. Your invocation of the Holocaust is so pathetic it's not worth getting offended by.

Hatred is a strong word. I doubt anyone here actually hates the Freemasons. I suspect most of us just think it's stupid, dated and worth a few moments of amusing ridicule. Your best bet is to stand up for yourself rather than wandering off in a huff.

That's me.  I'm done.

#45 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION @ Sep 9 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cannot speak for England, where I understand freemasonry to be slightly more 'moderate' in its form, but in Scotland, the organisation unfortnately is neither harmless nor particularly benevolent.

As a former police officer, i was unfortunate enough to work for an organisation literally rife with freemasonry, and was approached several times to join myself. Scottish masonic lodges have a tendency to attract a sort of white underclass to them, and are synonomous with british unionism, racism, religious bigotry (despite being apparently a totally non-religious organisation!) and a prominent 'closed-shop' attitude (jobs for the boys...etc).

This distasteful group would commonly allocate (undeserved) promotion spots to their masonic clique (before my time, but there was a huge amount of bad feeling in the organisation because of it). One member described the lodge as 'a Boys Brigade for grown ups' and another commented that 'the masonic lodge and the orange lodge are officially nothing to do with each other, but really they are the same thing - the same guys are in both'!!!!
One of the worst examples however, came from a mate of mine who played golf with a guy in his 60s. This guy had lost his job as a labourer, and was struggling to find another. He had someting (almost) fixed up, when the company owner said to him 'Sorry Sandy - another guy asked about the job, and he is in the Masons.... you know how it is...'

As i say, in England, my understanding is that freemasons sit somewhere between what i described above, and charitable organisations such as the Round Table. However, I struggle to find even a distant relation of the scottish organisation, as anywhere near palatable.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#46 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

'Methven Hornet' date='Sep 7 2010, 03:05 PM' post='2115426']
Secret? Is that a problem? To be honest, I haven't a clue which organisations my next door neighbour is a member of - do I need to know? Do I have the right to know?

To use someone else's catchphrase - If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to be afraid of.

To use the example you gave, whilst I understand why posters would want to keep a low profile about their membership of the Hull KR Supporters Club. I am sure that membership of that club is open to all unlike of course...

You'll forgive me if I don't read all those links, won't you,

Certainly - It's just one example of may such websites

RL is not a 'radical' sport

Funny you know lots of posts on this board have linked Rugby League to other "progressive" trends in UK society over the last 115 years. Yet when push comes to shove. Certain posters spring to defend many reactionary attitudes and organisations...

It is a sport, a very good one, but not one that needs to be protected from wider society. RL, as I once said in a discussion about gays and RL, needs to be in every corner of society. A frightening thought for some but necessary for the health of the sport.

Would not disagree but in a society where sportspersons and sporting bodies are accused of not setting an example, They need to be mindful that for want of a better word to hobnob with organisations that are somewhat contraversial can in some ways be seen to imply approval. For example, would you be happy to be joined at Spotland by one of the two Northern MEP's of a certan political party better known by its intials.come the next Euro election or would you think it inappropriate for your club and sport to be assocaited with those who do not share League's inclusive ethos?

Now could you be a bit more specific about why you don't want masons or freemasonry associated with rugby league?

Very simple, League is supposed to be a sport open to all. Masons are an organisation that's not open to all. As you imply in your post sport cannot be divorced from the the society it's played in. I do remember having this same conversation about 20 years ago with people who though that rebel Cricket tours to South Africa were all about the game and in no way implied support for the then apartheid rulers of that Country and that the game was in some mystical way seperate from the society it was played in.
I have no problem with RL personalities engaging in charitable activities and there are loads of charities such as XIII Heroes who would no doubt appreciate their support.

And, in the interests of openness, could you possibly reveal whether you are a member of any organisations (secular or religious) or hold any views that may cause you to be hostile to this group of society? wink.gif
Sorry to dissapoint but afraid not - but have I touched a nerve wink.gif

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#47 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Keith Mason is an ar5ehole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users