Lewis Blocked by Kiwis and Australia?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/412037...s-a-possibility

"The news comes as British boss Richard Lewis, in an email leaked by an internet blogger, said eligibility rules were "totally wrong" but New Zealand and Australia "filibustered" any changes because the present lax rules suited them."

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The news comes as British boss Richard Lewis, in an email leaked by an internet blogger, said eligibility rules were "totally wrong" but New Zealand and Australia "filibustered" any changes because the present lax rules suited them."

The World Cup is an occasion when everyone not in a major sporting nation's squad is encouraged to find another playing nation to help them along. So the adjustment after the WC seems reasonable.

Fien's "grannygate" was a different case, one involving presentation of false information about his grandparents.

Incidentally, you did not spell "Lewis" correctly in the title. "Leiwis" is either Dutch or Belgian. Only yanto will be pleased. :D

You can fix it by editing on "Full Edit."

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Australia provides dozens of players to other countries in World Cups and 4 Nations.

At least half a dozen players selected for NZ squad this year are Australian born and raised

The 2008 World Cup had about 50 players born and raised in Australia representing other Nations.

Its nothing new.

How many Aussies play in England with Greek, Irish, Maltese or Italian passports? to get around the regulations.

Australia provides dozens of players to other countries in World Cups and 4 Nations.

At least half a dozen players selected for NZ squad this year are Australian born and raised

The 2008 World Cup had about 50 players born and raised in Australia representing other Nations.

Its nothing new.

How many Aussies play in England with Greek, Irish, Maltese or Italian passports? to get around the regulations.

I have no problems with aussies (or any nationality) playing for other countries as long as the qualify (residency, parents, grand parents), I do have issues (like Lewis) with players changing nations. Pick a nation and stick to it.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I have no problems with aussies (or any nationality) playing for other countries as long as the qualify (residency, parents, grand parents), I do have issues (like Lewis) with players changing nations. Pick a nation and stick to it.

This is the issue Mr Lewis and others have. Mr Capp has either misread the link or is going off topic.

rldfsignature.jpg

"Tony Williams and Warriors backrow Ukuma Ta'ai - just 12 months after both played for Tonga against the Kiwis."

"NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle said if the selectors were "desperate" to include Ta'ai and Williams in their final 23-man squad, a special application would be discussed. But he warned: "We will not have another Grannygate. If they are not eligible, they will not be selected. What we are doing now is making sure they meet the criteria. If they do, we would apply to the RLIF."

Read the top statement Mr Doyle. they DO NOT meet the criteria. Unless of course the NZRL's friends in the RLIF want it otherwise.

rldfsignature.jpg

The World Cup is an occasion when everyone not in a major sporting nation's squad is encouraged to find another playing nation to help them along. So the adjustment after the WC seems reasonable.

No it is not reasonable. This is international sport not a playground kick about.

Incidentally, you did not spell "Lewis" correctly in the title. "Leiwis" is either Dutch or Belgian. Only yanto will be pleased. :D

You can fix it by editing on "Full Edit."

Merci beaucoup monsieur.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

heres part of the lewis "eligibilty-gate" email

the international eligibility rules are totally wrong. I and the whole of the RFL have tried on numerous occasions to get the rules changed at international board level. We have failed because Australia (in particular) and New Zealand have an advantage by keeping the rules as they are, so changes are constantly filibustered out. It is also fair to say that the Pacific Island nations are divided over their view of the rules.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

"Tony Williams and Warriors backrow Ukuma Ta'ai - just 12 months after both played for Tonga against the Kiwis."

"NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle said if the selectors were "desperate" to include Ta'ai and Williams in their final 23-man squad, a special application would be discussed. But he warned: "We will not have another Grannygate. If they are not eligible, they will not be selected. What we are doing now is making sure they meet the criteria. If they do, we would apply to the RLIF."

Read the top statement Mr Doyle. they DO NOT meet the criteria. Unless of course the NZRL's friends in the RLIF want it otherwise.

i think what they mean is that if they qualify to play on all front bar the bit in red... and that they would apply to the RLIF for the dispensation on the above which they are then allowed to do but that they wouldnt do that unless they were sure that that was the only think stopping them playing..

but i agree play for one nation and stick to it and stop the pratting about switching nations every 2 years.. last world cup i thought the description they gave to Nigel Vagana in one of hte matches of "New Zealand's top international try scorer" when he was playing for Samoa was an embarrasment that should not be repeated.. international sport should not allow that IMO..

Let Heighington play for England, let Fa'asavalu etc but only becuase they qualify and they have not played for another nation, Manu should be no where near and nor should Brough and they should not have been in the plans (and i put bridge and harrison in that as well!) though whats good for the goose etc.

Australia ride roughshod over international credibility.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/t...os/default.aspx

"Tony's allegiances are with Tonga and Australia," Williams' manager Issac Moses told AAP on Tuesday.

Moses said Williams, who was born in western Sydney and whose parents are both from Tonga, would be available for Australian selection for the Four Nations, but if overlooked, would represent for Tonga against Samoa."

A ##### joke. Feck the Kangaroos and the Kiwis. I won't be watching them play again any time soon even if it means not seeing the 2013 WC final. :angry2:

rldfsignature.jpg

Australia ride roughshod over international credibility.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/t...os/default.aspx

"Tony's allegiances are with Tonga and Australia," Williams' manager Issac Moses told AAP on Tuesday.

Moses said Williams, who was born in western Sydney and whose parents are both from Tonga, would be available for Australian selection for the Four Nations, but if overlooked, would represent for Tonga against Samoa."

A ##### joke. Feck the Kangaroos and the Kiwis. I won't be watching them play again any time soon even if it means not seeing the 2013 WC final. :angry2:

It's understandable that players born in Australia want to play for the Kangaroos and see playing for a Pacific island nation based on heritage as a fallback plan. RL needs either a way to get them to stick with their heritage country (realistically not likely to happen) or more countries able to compete with only a few heritage players.

It's understandable that players born in Australia want to play for the Kangaroos and see playing for a Pacific island nation based on heritage as a fallback plan. RL needs either a way to get them to stick with their heritage country (realistically not likely to happen) or more countries able to compete with only a few heritage players.

Heritage players should be able to play for either, but not both.

People called Romans they go the house

the rule should be pick a country to represent (that you qualify for) and stick to it, but in reality thats not gonna happen. so, if you qualify for more than one country (NZ and samoa for instance) and you play for one nation, but then see more oppotunities playing for the other, there should be a cool off period of 3 years before you can switch allegiance. but once that switch has been made you render yourself inelligible to represent any other country.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Should be like Origin, the first amateur club you play for determins who you can represent - simple final no arguments or work arounds.

And thus brings about the death of rugby league.

As most players will have played amateur in Australia or England, and the rest will still be playing amateur in the other countries, the gap would be massive.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.

Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

Actually it creates a much more level playing field below the top three who none have a chance of beating anyway under the present system - death of Rugby League lol I ask you :rolleyes:

erm.... how about all the people from say Wales, Scotland and Ireland who turn to RL at Uni and maybe represent their first club in England so rendering them inelligable for the country they were born and raised in and only eligable for the country they dispise? (same with the south seas islanders who play in NZ for the first time)... not to mention those from say poland who started playing when they arrived in London (i use this as an example as i know of one or two who did) or the south africans who did the same.. etc etc etc etc etc

maybe not the death of RL but it aint going to expand any!

for mine i have no issue with people saying i am austrlian and tongan, i am avialble for the kangaroos but if i am not picked will play for tonga.. that is their right and i dont see this as an issue. but once they have played for one then that is it.. full stop.. end of story

erm.... how about all the people from say Wales, Scotland and Ireland who turn to RL at Uni and maybe represent their first club in England so rendering them inelligable for the country they were born and raised in and only eligable for the country they dispise? (same with the south seas islanders who play in NZ for the first time)... not to mention those from say poland who started playing when they arrived in London (i use this as an example as i know of one or two who did) or the south africans who did the same.. etc etc etc etc etc

maybe not the death of RL but it aint going to expand any!

for mine i have no issue with people saying i am austrlian and tongan, i am avialble for the kangaroos but if i am not picked will play for tonga.. that is their right and i dont see this as an issue. but once they have played for one then that is it.. full stop.. end of story

Simple the resources go into the youth game which nails down the colours, major investment in the youth game will sort out the international pro game in a decade, why should the likes of Russia not get the chance to compete with the likes of Scotland on a level playing field, its a farce now and all anyone seems to care about is therir own selfish goals including the RFL. Its gonna take a strtegic change and perhaps an initial weakening of some artificial nations in order to strengthen the game internationally in the long run - but I don't think they're brave enough or co-ordinated enough to do it so we'll be having all the same discussions in 10 yrs from now in any case.

If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

titansnewsword2.jpg

This issue has a minimal effect on PNG but mainly Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Ireland and Scotland. The reality is that almost all the players who've switched grew up in Australia, NZ or England and many were born in those 3 countries. The second-tier countries need to produce more domestic players so they won't be so reliant on heritage ones, but to compete they need those players to get to the pro ranks.

So they do the hard yards and produce players who are signed up by NRL teams. They flourish in a fully professional environment and lo and behold they are lured away from their country of birth and upbringing to play SoO and having to commit to playing for Australia. Akuila Uate ring any bells? It's catch 22 for the PI nations especially. Don't produce any domestic players and cop hidings or produce them and watch as Australia and NZ cherry pick the best and weakening the team resulting in some more hidings.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

So they do the hard yards and produce players who are signed up by NRL teams. They flourish in a fully professional environment and lo and behold they are lured away from their country of birth and upbringing to play SoO and having to commit to playing for Australia. Akuila Uate ring any bells? It's catch 22 for the PI nations especially. Don't produce any domestic players and cop hidings or produce them and watch as Australia and NZ cherry pick the best and weakening the team resulting in some more hidings.

Yes Uate rings a bell, I know he was born in Fiji but no bio I can find says where he grew up so it may have been in Australia for all I know. It is catch 22 for the PI nations though, they're too small ever to develop into any kind of force in the game and I can't ever see that changing. They'll never standalone Internationals before big crowds, they're too small and too poor for that.

Edited by Big Picture