JimbobRam

don't do what we did with Daryl Powell

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "unbeaten" season wasn't a bad one, and the first season back in the Championship was, eventually, very enjoyable.....especially the last few games when we played some excellent stuff -- the win at Leigh for example.

Morrison's second season was probably his best, but last year was NOT an improvement on that -- with, arguably, a stronger squad.  We could and should, in my opinion, have finished in the Top 4 last year.........with the resultant cash injection that would have brought. That we didn't was down to some very inept displays against teams that we should have beaten....... And I don't believe we will finish higher up the table this season, so I don't see progress or improvement - in either our style of play or overall.

Yes, it's better than Jowett's last season but it hasn't, in my opinion, got better to watch DURING Morrison's tenure (which is the point I was trying to make, and maybe didn't word it accurately)

The one positive IS the second team and they look like carrying on in good style again this year.

The "unbeaten" season was a joke - bullying a group of relatively weak sides who didn't know how to exploit a vulnerable defence, as we discovered the season after. In addition do you know how much that season cost the club (i.e. the directors)?

If every club who didn't do better season on season sacked their coach then we would be getting like soccer - clubs can have ups and downs, that's the nature of sport.

I'd have Chris Chester

I think that anyone who only has experience in SL would struggle enormously with a part-time Championship team. The very limited time available to achieve the right standards of conditioning, tactical coaching and a professional mentality is a mighty difficult challenge for anyone.

I'm not making GM out to be something that he isn't but he is a decent coach trying to manage a large squad, and still learning his trade, as he freely admits.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Good words Blind side johnny i thought in unbeaten season we actually had a good squad though eg Liam Finn Pat Walker Andy Bostock who have all gone to better things having been coached by the right staff.

Warren did not do a bad job though if you look at his budget and Morrison's.

Like Glenn admits its hard for him to make himself heard with hin been at Dewsbury and with us being part time its hard for us to come up aganist full time sides who train each every day while Glenn will only get 3 nights a week with is side.

Glenn said at the fans forum eariler in the year when some fan questioned him about tackling techinques, that we don't get time to practice everything in a short space of a time within the week with us being part time.

I think Glenn is doing a ok job and his still learing giving the right opportunity though when the time comes to leave and coach full time you'll see the best of him.

For know im happy to have Glenn

The "unbeaten" season was a joke - bullying a group of relatively weak sides who didn't know how to exploit a vulnerable defence, as we discovered the season after. In addition do you know how much that season cost the club (i.e. the directors)?

Iadmits.

Who cared about that? Not me! With the exception of the Norman Smith era this was my favourite season and the only game I have enjoyed more than that final victory at Blackpool was either the playoff defeat at Leigh when we played so well but lost or the second teams victory in the grand final last year.

Give me an unbeaten season against "weaker" opposition over the stick it up your jumper dross I witnessed at Oldham any day.

Who cared about that? Not me! With the exception of the Norman Smith era this was my favourite season and the only game I have enjoyed more than that final victory at Blackpool was either the playoff defeat at Leigh when we played so well but lost or the second teams victory in the grand final last year.

Give me an unbeaten season against "weaker" opposition over the stick it up your jumper dross I witnessed at Oldham any day.

And ho much of the £150K are you prepared to subsidise Nick?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Apparently we're living in the past Nick.  ;) My hope this year is to avoid relegation - which TBH has been the limit of my ambitions since we got promoted. I still think that by running  a second team - and I am an advocate of that - we have sacrificed quality for quantity. I love christheram's optimism, but I can't honestly see us getting even close to the top sides like Leigh, Sheffield, Halifax and erm - Batley.   :blush: 

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

And ho much of the £150K are you prepared to subsidise Nick?

A fair point BSJ, but missing your original point...You asked which season had provided more excitement and entertainment in the previuos 10 years and Therein 73 was remarking that the unbeaten season was enjoyable.  I agreed but you took a different view, appreantly it was too easy and we just bullied teams..

I said I couldnt care less it..The entertainment value was high and it was fun to watch.  Not a bit like the game at Oldham really!

If we are going back to talking money however is our playing budget less than Batleys or have they spent more astutely?? 

We both know the answer

Apparently we're living in the past Nick.  ;) My hope this year is to avoid relegation - which TBH has been the limit of my ambitions since we got promoted. I still think that by running  a second team - and I am an advocate of that - we have sacrificed quality for quantity. I love christheram's optimism, but I can't honestly see us getting even close to the top sides like Leigh, Sheffield, Halifax and erm - Batley.   :blush: 

After four games I'm already starting to worry that we'll run out of bodies. If only we could find a hooker and a winger going spare :D  

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

No way would I accept playing rubbish against teams we should win, them my old mate are not the rules. WINNING is what sport is about, if you are not bothered about winning then you are not in my team or in my league. BUT win or loose, want to win and try your best and you are in every time.

You wouldn't "accept playing rubbish against teams we should win," but you went to watch the Giants v Widnes.

Also "WINNING is what sport is about, if you are not bothered about winning then you are not in my team or in my league," but you went to watch the Giants v Widnes.

Match reports from the Giants v Widnes are not very favourable for the Giants.

Hekler

I can't fault you. I did go to the Giants and to be honest they were as dire as we were against Oldham so I did not enjoy the game. A couple of the young lads that were playing though actually did well and that was the only pleasing thing about the game. I must finish though by saying the best players were not playing due to an appalling  injury rate NOT because the coach didn't pick them. But yes I should have stayed at home. 1 - 0 to you.

Archived