snowy memories

oldrover

i think you're getting the scoring slightly askew phil.

I remember the game v saints and alex the great was their coach. We were out with the ref in freezing conditions for about 5 mins before they came out for the 2nd half having been run ragged in the first. I think we were 11 points up at the half. They came back to beat us late in the game by a single point i think. 23-24 comes to mind but its a few years ago now my memory gets fuzzy. Come on mark LP, humour me, give us the scoring and dates please. I know the game was on scrum down.

Just been on Saints official website....The game I refer to Robin was January 13th 1991 We actually led 28-14 at half time and ended up losing 28-36 with Gary Connolly having the starring roll in the second half. 4879 watched the game but all credit to you Robin there was in fact a 23-24 result in March 1989

Sunday 26th Nov 1989. Fev 23-24 Saints. Crowd 3972!

Alexander the great commitment to brinkmanship at half time was there for all to see!

i remember that game well and Rovers had a big lead at half time and were going down the slope in the 2nd half, amazingly nearly all the trys were scored going up the hill

aye, a strange game. Not for the 1st time done by alexander the great!

I think there was only one other game where i've left post office road more gutted than that saints game, and that was the one v wigan when a perfectly good touch-down under the sticks late on was disallowed by the ref some 40 yards away from the action.

Just as an aside, alex murphy. The finest GB player ever to pull on a shirt, narrowly pipping neil fox to that position.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Sunday 26th Nov 1989. Fev 23-24 Saints. Crowd 3972!

Alexander the great commitment to brinkmanship at half time was there for all to see!

Aye Shane Cooper at stand off for Saints gave a master class in ball handling in the second half and totally ran the show after spending the first half with his hands tucked in his arm pits for most of the first half :O:O

February 1983. I promised my lad to take him to watch Rovers v Batley in the CC 1 st round. It was called off because of snow, so we went to Whitwood Mere instead and saw Hooper Swans - only time I've ever seen one.

The game was played at Belle Vue, the following Wednesday or Thursday, the field may have been playable but the terraces were lethal. I remember a copper falling over and everyone laughing at him :closedeyes: Anyway we won and the rest as they say is history.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

was it 59 or 60 when we beat st helens in the 3rd round in weather like this. no health and safety in those days.

i was there i was there iwas only a young lad at the time & was stood int he bul stand it was so bad that when harry street flicked out the back pass i thought that joe mullany had gone over until it was announced that it wss slam lambert but i didn't relly care i was in 7th heaven.

colin nick

mr colin nicholson

in my lifetime i've seen the greatest footballer that ever lived the greatest boxer that ever lived, the greatest national football team ever, the greatest snooker and darts players that ever lived, i've seen england win the football world cup, the r.u. world cup, the r.l. world cup. i've seen the fastest man that ever lived, the first sub 4 minute mile. the list goes on and on, but all the sporting moments that made me feel as if my heart would explode from my chest, made me want to jump 10 feet in the air, made feel like crying(and sometimes did) were given to me by FEATHERSTONE ROVERS and for that i am eternally grateful.

spot on friend us old uns have some great memories including rovers winning the challenge cup on occassions and finishing top of the league. i don't think this will happen again but to quote from a perry commo song " MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS"

colin nck

mr colin nicholson

I remember well the Saints game when they delayed coming out in the 2nd half. We were calling the Saints, cowards etc. and when they finally came out expected them to want to play tig and pass and just get through the game. How wrong we were.

Although nothing to do with snow I also remember another home game, I think against Bramley. Aftera few minutes and the score 0-0 fog could be seen floating in from the railway and descended on the stadium completely obscuring play for about 10 mins. I was stood on the terracing on the 10 yard line at the PO road end with Rovers playing towards the railway end and we could just about see the 25 yard line. When the fog lifted we were 4-0 up, 2 penalty goals I think. We knew we had scored twice when we same a couple of the Rovers players lining up for a kick off. After about 10 mins it drifted away, not completely, that's how I remember it but do not remember the final score. Must have been in the late 60's early 70's.

in my lifetime i've seen the greatest footballer that ever lived the greatest boxer that ever lived, the greatest national football team ever, the greatest snooker and darts players that ever lived, i've seen england win the football world cup, the r.u. world cup, the r.l. world cup. i've seen the fastest man that ever lived, the first sub 4 minute mile. the list goes on and on, but all the sporting moments that made me feel as if my heart would explode from my chest, made me want to jump 10 feet in the air, made feel like crying(and sometimes did) were given to me by FEATHERSTONE ROVERS and for that i am eternally grateful.

You've just brought a lump to the throat and a tear to my eye, Old Rover. As PJT says earlier, we are so very lucky.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

i remember operating the scoreboard when i was just tall enough to climb up to it and playing Widnes in the snow when we were'nt expected to win but did, i threw a snowball at the widnes players standing behind the posts when we scored and it hit Mick Burke in the back, i crapped my pants when he turned round and stared at me lol

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling

Plastering

Bathroom fitting

Fencing

Guttering

Insurance work

Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

Think it was early 1986, we'd just signed Steadman but he didn't play in the game, it was against Widnes in the CC. POR was covered in snow we lost the game but my memory was Bosh Lyman scoring a cracking hat trick, we had a young reserve lad on the wing that day called Simon Wragg he marked our beloved Currier.

What a post. I can empathise totaly. I was sixteen years of age, standing on the terraces, yes terraces of Wembley, crying like a drain in front of my young nephews as Quinny's final kick went over.

anybody seen vausey and south african slow bowler harris in the same room? No? Very similar.

So, back to the thread. Last blizzard i can remember was a 2nd div game v carlisle about 93. The snow was coming horizontal across the railway end.

And yes oldrover. A soddin great post.

anybody seen vausey and south african slow bowler harris in the same room? No? Very similar.

So, back to the thread. Last blizzard i can remember was a 2nd div game v carlisle about 93. The snow was coming horizontal across the railway end.

The game that still sticks in my craw after all these years was when we played at Hull in the quarter final of the Challenge Cup. We were holding our own and were in front when a minor infringement occurred in our half. The touch judge ran on with a raised flag. The referee ignored him and play continued. The ball was passed to Hollindrake on the left wing. He was about to be tackled and ran round the corner flag and touched down. Where was the touch judge? Still 50 yards down the field in the centre of the pitch holding his flag up. Decision a try. We lost. I still cannot believe that. The ruddy fates were really against us that day.