St Helens vs Bradford Bulls

Who will win?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Bradford Bulls
    • Draw

I cannot comment on Bradford but maybe not enough was done to get more schools and clubs playing the game during the good times?

They did, they just forgot to actually target Bradford schools and clubs, preferring to hit Calderdale and Kirklees instead.

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is late in the day, but Wigan did have a significant dip in crowds when they first went from winning everything to be second or third best. Their recovery was in a period when pretty much every Wigan fan knew the party was long over, and the club was in peril. Where we can be particularly proud of ourselves is in the way so many Wiganers love the game sufficiently to play and coach it, in greater numbers these days than for many years. People know and love the game deeply and so form the ideal target for a club to grow. I cannot comment on Bradford but maybe not enough was done to get more schools and clubs playing the game during the good times?

Wigan got some poor crowds around the 1999/2000/2001 seasons, some 6,000 and 7,000 gates (which is what Bradford are getting now).

So there is hope.

They did, they just forgot to actually target Bradford schools and clubs, preferring to hit Calderdale and Kirklees instead.

That, I think, is maybe a tiny bit unfair to the people running things back then. They were short sighted in many ways but the marketing side was excellent, both in and around the district. I think all the Hullabaloo, Bullmania or whatever term you use to describe it did bring people to the game, both playing and watching, but like most 'crazes' with kids it was a bit short lived.

I'd suggest that Wigan schools have historically played more RL than Bradford schools, but in any case, what happens in the school's sports periods isn't something the club has any say in, no matter how many times Bullman turns up in the classroom. They do bring kids to Odsal for lessons and try to involve the schools but they can only do so much.

The best thing for change in this is the rise of student RL. If future Headmasters and sports teachers are exposed to the game more often at universities, it's far more probable that they will engage in it when they are in a position of influence within the education system. Let's hope so anyway.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Well it's Friday The Thirteenth and will it be a "Nightmare at Knowsley Road" this evening as the two most successful Rugby League sides clash in this round twenty five encounter.

It's throwing it down here in Bradford and the forecast isn't looking good for the rest of the day in Merseyside.

Does anyone know if the roof still leaks at Knowsley Road?

Well it's Friday The Thirteenth and will it be a "Nightmare at Knowsley Road" this evening as the two most successful Rugby League sides clash in this round twenty five encounter.

It's throwing it down here in Bradford and the forecast isn't looking good for the rest of the day in Merseyside.

Only thing that will be leaking tonight will be Bradfords defence :lol:

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Well, they don't have many more games still to play at KR so I guess fixing the roof isn't high on the agenda!!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Just on the train to Manchester and the precipitation is in overtime, so does anyone fancy giving me a lift back tonight?

I don't fancy walking two miles in the rain to the train station afterwards, when it's more than likely to be siling it down.

p.s I voted for a Bradford win :D

Here at Knowsley Road as the U20's prepare for the VC clash the sky is black.

It's going to be one hell of a downpour when it deposits it's wet load.

I've just had a 90 seconds chat with Mick Potter.

He may have just let slip who he's bringing with him to Odsal :D

Second half of the VC U20's League about to start.

I've been quite impressed with young Cain Southernwood again.

Same too to Jess Sheriffe who scored a fantastic try.

Well good evening from Knowsley Road as we have Robert Miles - Children pumping through the stadium pa speakers.

It's always good to meet some forum members off here, just to put the face to a name.

The floodlights are on as both sides warm out on the field.

Looks to be a crowd approaching 12,000 with around 800 from Bradford.

Ten minutes to kickoff then and it's going to be a classic, I can feel it in the beer.

COME ON YOU BULLS

I'm preparing myself for the first listen of BBC Radio Merseyside... *gulp* :unsure:

I can't imagine this being balanced, informative or coherent commentary.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised. :P

Big Ray is much better on radio and his double act with Alan Rooney is great stuff! Count the beauuuuutifuls.... :D