Crowdwatch - (Merged threads)

Before the mean spirited start, the Crowds are clearly of interest to many on here as they are commenting and it's the leader in Mr. Sadlers leader column today.

For the Elite clubs...

Cas got 6760 for Hull down from 8744 first game

Cats got 7392 for Saints down from 8886

Leeds got 13,118 for Wire down from 17,400

Wigan got 11,448 for Fartown down from 12,488

For the middle clubs:-

Leigh got 4459 for HKR 

Bradford got 6032 Eagles

Fax got 3022 for Widnes

Anyone kindly have the championship average crowds, I assume all are above average but Leigh will have an average close to that?

The all SL play off match was Salford 3,400, up on the appalling 2,712 earlier this season, but still a below average Salford crowd!!.

The coming weeks has matches with no straight comparisons statistically, four games are down on the last meeting, one is up and three are up on averages.....

In the end I think Padge will win the day with his "aggregate" argument in which more games will mean bigger 

totals through the gates. Whether any new fans....well.....

But as we progress towards that conclusion I'd guess a lot of fans will be looking at the tables and either boost crowds at crunch games or stay at home as regards the dead rubbers 

Spare a thought for Featherstone, 1100 for Haven, and London 350 for Donny.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those SL crowds are a very poor start. Down an average of nearly 2k per game and these were the games where the new system was supposed to shine.

I thought this part of the season would be a clear 'win' for the new system with big crowds people would use as evidence that the system was working when really it was just because the big sides were playing each other again but those attendances are just terrible.

I mean even the 'middle 8s' aren't really that great.

Does the month of August play any part in these attendances? This month is traditionally quite in all business, except association football it would appear.

Salford were trying to reiterate that seson ticket holders automatically have tickets for the 3 home games. They should have made this clear at the start of the season. Many could be unfamiliar with the new setup and may have been confused with their eligibility for these games.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Those SL crowds are a very poor start. Down an average of nearly 2k per game and these were the games where the new system was supposed to shine.

I thought this part of the season would be a clear 'win' for the new system with big crowds people would use as evidence that the system was working when really it was just because the big sides were playing each other again but those attendances are just terrible.

All five Superleague home games were well down on average the key statistic may be if the extra home games deliver a bigger aggregate because that is where the money is.

Does the month of August play any part in these attendances? This month is traditionally quite in all business, except association football it would appear.

Mr. Sadler believes a lot people have had to book summer holidays not knowing if in doing so they would miss games, they could not plan holidays to ensure they could see the home matches.

Mr. Sadler believes a lot people have had to book summer holidays not knowing if in doing so they would miss games, they could not plan holidays to ensure they could see the home matches.

Well I said that in another thread and got a lot of stick... personally I think he is correct in that it has made in difficult if you wanted to attend the games especially as season ticket includes them.

as it turned out our family and friends ended up with a number of spare tickets because of it and missing the top games, against the likes of Warrington, Wigan & Saints etc.

It has really miffed all of us....

Bradford are averaging about 5K. 4,800 went to the regular season game vs Sheffield at Odsal, so I think over 1,000 fans have held on to see the “real” action in the 8s. I believe it's our 3rd biggest attendance of the season behind Leigh (9k) and Halifax (6.1kish from memory).

With the greatest of respect to Sheffield, all three of our remaining home games, Salford, Widnes and Fax, will see a lot bigger away support and increased home support if we are still “in it”. So it’s likely yesterday will probably be our lowest attended of the remaining home games (unless maybe we implode before playing Widnes, that may see a lot of Bulls fans stopping away).

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

With the greatest of respect to Sheffield, all three of our remaining home games, will see a lot bigger away support and increased home support if we are still “in it”.

So it’s likely yesterday will probably be our lowest attended

Unless maybe we implode before playing Widnes, that may see a lot of Bulls fans stopping away......

This is the warning made in the unsigned "upfront" lead column in league express.

They suggest "should all four superleague teams win this weekend......that may slightly devalue the strength of the qualifiers".

Let's see, but this weekend saw them all off level, the final weekend may see some dead rubbers.

Let's hope not for Bulls.....

Well I said that in another thread and got a lot of stick... personally I think he is correct in that it has made in difficult if you wanted to attend the games especially as season ticket includes them.

as it turned out our family and friends ended up with a number of spare tickets because of it and missing the top games, against the likes of Warrington, Wigan & Saints etc.

It has really miffed all of us....

on an SL average of 8k. A 2k fall would mean the 1 in 4 people were on holiday. That seems an awful lot to me.

on an SL average of 8k. A 2k fall would mean the 1 in 4 people were on holiday. That seems an awful lot to me.

I'd guess that the Holidays are't the only reason for the poor crowds, agreed. It's never that simple.

I can only suggest that when the league was over in previous seasons the play off crowds were low.

OK (corrections welcome here) those games were not on the season ticket and this year they are?? But maybe some fans are still switching off whilst we get to erm... er....

The semis??

How do these compare against play off crowds? Am guessing very well.

Sorry EW I was typing as you were - it's worth a look - but there is the issue of the games being on season Tickets this time round, but people can still be turned off bothering if they don't like play off games and a weekend away can be afforded???

This is the warning made in the unsigned "upfront" lead column in league express.

They suggest "should all four superleague teams win this weekend......that may slightly devalue the strength of the qualifiers".

Let's see, but this weekend saw them all off level, the final weekend may see some dead rubbers.

Let's hope not for Bulls.....

True enough. Quite canny scheduling by the fixture planners though - Bulls last game is vs Halifax, so even if it is a dead rubber, you can bet Fax won't miss the chance to stick the boot in so hopefully that will be a decent crowd regardless

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

don't know how much of an effect it would have been  but the first 2 weeks of august have traditionally been the leeds weeks holidays . that coupled with the relative short notice of the fixtures may be a small part of the drop .

I did notice the corporate section of the stands was not as full as normal and of course the warrington following was well down on the previous visit  when they brought around 1500  and this time about 400

would still have expected a bigger gate at headingley

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

As these are the 3rd games, the play offs are the better comparison, until next year when they can be compared year on year. The season ticket point is irrelevant - people still paid for these games.

Well not really because at this stage we would still be in the season in previous years. This is round 24 and we had 27 regular rounds,

so half the clubs will only have one game comparable to the play offs and half will have 2. One of those games is 'free' because no one knew which clubs would have them at the start of the year, whereas last year they would have been pay on the day

That will leave each club with only one home game which is comparable to the play offs, again with many giving this extra game as free as part of the season ticket as opposed to pay on the day

I know Leeds v Warrington was included in the season ticket, but the travelling support seemed shocking (unless they were all in one of the other stands. It may have also filled out later in the match, not sure what the M62 was like)

I was told that Leigh only included 3 matches in their season ticket, with the Hull KR game being excluded,  so I expect that would go some way to explaining the lower than expected crowd

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I know Leeds v Warrington was included in the season ticket, but the travelling support seemed shocking (unless they were all in one of the other stands. It may have also filled out later in the match, not sure what the M62 was like)

I was told that Leigh only included 3 matches in their season ticket, with the Hull KR game being excluded, so I expect that would go some way to explaining the lower than expected crowd

seems odd to exclude the first game rather than any of the others

As these are the 3rd games, the play offs are the better comparison, until next year when they can be compared year on year. 

Yes, and I'll look at that, but the 3rd. games are part of a play off so it becomes complicated and of course the problem with clubs competing for OT is several are supposedly in a play off but have no real chance and the fans know that!!!

Complicated yes... 

I give this system until the start of the 2017 season.

It would be improved by

• the top 8 just starting their play-offs after 23 games 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 then draw the semis (cuts the number of games for our top players)
  • Middle 8 seems to be working OK, at least until no-one gets promoted/relegated
  • the top 4 of the bottom 8 starting the nebulous Championship Shield play-offs after 23 games not 30
  • and if the Championship 1 season could finish sooner recreate the 'Middle 8's' successes by having the Championship bottom 4 play 7 matches against the Championship 1 top 4 before the Million Penny match to decide who stays in the Championship.

Or we could revert back to something sane in 18 months...

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

• and if the Championship 1 season could finish sooner recreate the 'Middle 8's' successes by having the Championship bottom 4 play 7 matches against the Championship 1 top 4 before the Million Penny match to decide who stays in the Championship.

I understand that League 1 will be splitting into 8s (or 8&7) from next year anyway

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I understand that League 1 will be splitting into 8s (or 8&7) from next year anyway

Did someone give Nigel a fortune Cookie that suggested 8 was his lucky number?

The 8 team 2nd division of the late 80's and early 90's was the most successful period in Carlisle's RL history and probably the best side we ever had so I should share the affection for 8's but the Championship 1 re-structure just looks like an attempt to shore up heartlands clubs by reducing their travel costs whilst casting out troublesome expansion teams.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

seems odd to exclude the first game rather than any of the others

I imagine the thinking behind it is, Leigh come in table toppers of the championship so on a high, slate is clean so the club can guarantee they are still in the race. If they had made it the last game it could have been a dead rubber - probably not but why gamble?

SQL Honours

At the risk of being accused of making excuses again, I think a handful of Saints fans managed to attend the game in Perpignan but obviously with such short notice there was never going to be a great turnout from us.  That will go some way to explaining the drop in the attendance figure for the Dragons. Even with more notice there may not have been many there anyway as two trips to Perpignan are beyond most people's budget and/or annual leave capabilities.

At the risk of being accused of making excuses again, I think a handful of Saints fans managed to attend the game in Perpignan but obviously with such short notice there was never going to be a great turnout from us.  That will go some way to explaining the drop in the attendance figure for the Dragons. Even with more notice there may not have been many there anyway as two trips to Perpignan are beyond most people's budget and/or annual leave capabilities.

I agree 100%. Another reason why these are far more comparable to play off games.

Archived