Park Run

6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Ultimately, I'll move onto a half-marathon without a time goal, probably mid next year. Did you find them challenging and have you ever gone full marathon?

5 hours ago, tim2 said:

I did 22.04 at the age of 60 and three weeks later a sub 45 10K, during which I also broke my 5 mile record.

I like half marathons (or did, before my body started giving me grief after 10-12K). I've done about 15 and my PB is about 1 hour 44. I did a couple of 30K races and a twenty miler in the lead up to doing the Manchester Marathon in 2015, which I did in 4 hours 8 minutes. I then did an ultra (50K) in 2016.

To me, a half marathon is 'just' regular running stretched out to the distance of 22k. You can build to it and get there as long as you stay fit and put in the training. (And avoid injury or growing old.)

I fooled myself with marathon training that it was the same. What I then found in the marathon - and there were warning signs in a 20 mile run before it that I misread - is that that distance is really not just building on your running experience. You really do need to have strategies in place for hydration, for energy and for dealing with mental breakdowns. I had none of those. I'm proud I still got round but there were a few miles there where I was a shell.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

To me, a half marathon is 'just' regular running stretched out to the distance of 22k. You can build to it and get there as long as you stay fit and put in the training. (And avoid injury or growing old.)

I fooled myself with marathon training that it was the same. What I then found in the marathon - and there were warning signs in a 20 mile run before it that I misread - is that that distance is really not just building on your running experience. You really do need to have strategies in place for hydration, for energy and for dealing with mental breakdowns. I had none of those. I'm proud I still got round but there were a few miles there where I was a shell.

20 miles + really is different territory, even if you've done a marathon before.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 24/09/2023 at 20:45, gingerjon said:

I'm going to do the half and then see whether I think it's achievable.

I watch quite a lot of stuff from the Running Channel and the presenter Sarah completed her first marathon  and it was much like you explained. However, she had to stop at one point. I'm totally not judging, but for me doing a marathon would involve running the whole way. 

Is this something you were able to do?

19 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I watch quite a lot of stuff from the Running Channel and the presenter Sarah completed her first marathon  and it was much like you explained. However, she had to stop at one point. I'm totally not judging, but for me doing a marathon would involve running the whole way. 

I did, except when somebody near me fell over and I stopped to check they were OK.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/09/2023 at 20:50, Maximus Decimus said:

Just realised I didn't reply to this.

I had planned to run/slow run the whole way round but, in the end, that didn't happen. I walked for a chunk at the midpoint and then built up a routine of run/jog/walk/run/jog/walk until about 2km out when I felt I could run without stopping again.

Getting to the finish line was always the challenge for me so I'm okay with that. It would have been nice to keep running throughout but once that became impossible I had to rebuild my strategy mid race - and that was properly tough!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 24/10/2023 at 07:21, gingerjon said:

Just realised I didn't reply to this.

I had planned to run/slow run the whole way round but, in the end, that didn't happen. I walked for a chunk at the midpoint and then built up a routine of run/jog/walk/run/jog/walk until about 2km out when I felt I could run without stopping again.

Getting to the finish line was always the challenge for me so I'm okay with that. It would have been nice to keep running throughout but once that became impossible I had to rebuild my strategy mid race - and that was properly tough!

Thanks for this. From watching a number of videos and hearing experiences etc, I think I would just need to concentrate on getting round by hook or by crook. Running all the way on the first go seems unrealistic.

I'm also not sure after seeing other people's experiences that I'd fancy another go!

I'm not fit and too fat so the hilly courses of the last couple of weeks (Roundhay and Graves) have been tough. Up to 352 runs now at 120 venues.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A nice little video featuring Hastings parkrun. Tiny Ginger makes the briefest of brief appearances handing out tokens.

I did parkrun in California a couple of weeks back, quite an attractive bayside location in silicon valley, on part of a 15+ mile long cycling/ walking/ running trail. Mostly British & Australian volunteers, and tourists from UK, Australia & Canada, but a nice friendly feel with a monthly post run picnic and plenty of silicon valley 'locals'. 

I did Lincoln a couple of weeks ago and Gateshead last week. Both lovely parks.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the "controversy" surrounding the removal of some the "fastest time" and "most events" records and tables from parkrun's website. Basically I don't care but some people have gone completely crazy about it. Set up a petition, trolling all of parkrun's social media and so on.

The reason given by HQ is that speed records put off newcomers. Others are claiming (but parkrun deny) that it's linked to transgender women claiming women's records. The complainers claim it's because they love stats, not because they're transphobic.

Either way, it must seem very odd when viewed from outside. People getting furious and abusive because a free event changed its website. It's all very 21st Cntury First World problems when people are struggling to pay their bills and people are dying in Ukraine and Gaza.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

I did Lincoln a couple of weeks ago and Gateshead last week. Both lovely parks.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of the "controversy" surrounding the removal of some the "fastest time" and "most events" records and tables from parkrun's website. Basically I don't care but some people have gone completely crazy about it. Set up a petition, trolling all of parkrun's social media and so on.

The reason given by HQ is that speed records put off newcomers. Others are claiming (but parkrun deny) that it's linked to transgender women claiming women's records. The complainers claim it's because they love stats, not because they're transphobic.

Either way, it must seem very odd when viewed from outside. People getting furious and abusive because a free event changed its website. It's all very 21st Cntury First World problems when people are struggling to pay their bills and people are dying in Ukraine and Gaza.

"It's discrimination against fast people" was my favourite genuine line about all of it.

Like, mate, Hastings has had, at least three different courses but the course record covers all three. And it's a different length in the summer and the winter. And it's different again depending on whether Martin or Yoki puts down the halfway cone.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

"It's discrimination against fast people" was my favourite genuine line about all of it.

Like, mate, Hastings has had, at least three different courses but the course record covers all three. And it's a different length in the summer and the winter. And it's different again depending on whether Martin or Yoki puts down the halfway cone.

Markeaton in Derby includes times from a cross-country course in Darley about 5 miles away that was regularly flooded so they moved to a tarmac course in Markeaton Park.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent parkrun jaunts were to Bramley and Huddersfield, both classic Yorkshire courses. That's 130 events now. Next up, Riverside, Chester-le-Street.

Bramley was less manicured than Huddersfield with howling gales at the top of the course and warm sunshine at the bottom. Huddersfield was heaving, 653 runners. Obviously the stats issue is having a massive effect on numbers...

• Like 2

i have done 204 parkruns now over 10 years.  Joining the local athletic club last year gave me an incentive.  I recently got my PB down to 24:00 and 64% grade.   branched out into road race, Burghley 7 done and Silverstone 10k soon. 

• Like 2

Went to Tamworth on Saturday to do Tamworth Castle Grounds parkrun.

Lovely park, but I really struggled on lap one. I never know when these bad weeks are going to come. I walked for a bit then managed to run lap two and felt OK at the end.

That's 132 venues and 370 total now.

Someone just did their 1000th parkrun as a volunteer (this includes junior parkruns). Not keen on the yellow colour they've used for the T-shirt. Still, if I live long enough to reach 1000 parkruns (I'll be in my eighties) I'll be happy enough!

Edit: Tamworth Castle is worth a visit too. 

Edited by tim2
  • Like 2