Park Run

On 03/09/2022 at 21:00, BatleyFanAndy said:

Wristband barcode ordered, new trainers bedding in, ready to hit my local Parkrun at Oakwell Hall.

Loved Oakwell Hall, tough though it is.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I did two parkruns on my trip to South Africa, which were my 99th and 100th different events, 309 in total. 

First week was in Franschhoek, where we ran through the vineyard of the Rickety Bridge winery. The second was Atholl in Johannesburg, within sight of the Wanderers cricket stadium.

The Joburg one was interesting as it sits at over 5000 feet and it really made me suck the air in on the uphill sections.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2022 at 09:35, BatleyFanAndy said:

Instead of going in straight for a 5k I've started Couch to 5k to ready myself. Anyone else done it? I'm early on and it's very simple and easy going so far.

A lot of Couch to 5k beginners running groups end by having the group do a parkrun. The NHS couch to 5k programme is very good - build up slowly and avoid getting injured.

I may get back to Corby this Saturday.  Not too busy and a varied course.  A lot is  on grass so one to avoid if wet and muddy.  My percent ranking is personal challenge as PB several years old. 

I have been mostly cycling this summer 400km Strava monthly challenge.  Plus a lovely tour de Lincolnshire. 

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 12:41, JonM said:

A lot of Couch to 5k beginners running groups end by having the group do a parkrun. The NHS couch to 5k programme is very good - build up slowly and avoid getting injured.

It's the NHS app that I'm using. It's very easy so far but only on week three.

SIGNATURE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm back at parkrun after another bout fo lurgy and suffering another painful achilles reaction. This time I got some actual physiotherapy and it held up well on Saturday, albeit a bit slow due to being too fat as well as out of practice.

The rehab execrsises are chuffing hard work. I hope it's worth it!

1 minute ago, Midlands hobo said:

I've not run in about 10 years. However my best was 2:28. I dreamt of breaking 2:15  

I'm learning that it's a race against me and me alone.

It's utterly pointless to compare with others.

Marathon in May. Eeek.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

37 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Marathon in May. Eeek.

I was in a club with a guy who'd done hundreds. He always said the first 5 your training to finish after that worry about the time.

https://www.warwickshireworld.com/news/kenilworths-marathon-man-set-to-complete-his-500th-marathon-2039742

This bloke.

Edited by Midlands hobo

35 minutes ago, JonM said:

Being about 45 minutes drive from my nearest one, my tally is likely to stay a bit below 400 for a long time. 

I've got about 50 within that drive time.

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Signed up for my first marathon distance race......at the age of 59

Its off road in the Howgills. Better get the training in

Love the howgills, I have been ticking off running up and down the Dales 30 as a replacement for ticking off parkruns. Best of luck - that sounds like a tough race.

On 07/02/2023 at 21:23, MattSantos said:

Marathon in May. Eeek.

If it’s your first marathon my non-professional advice is to pace yourself to get to 32km comfortably. Get to 32km and feel like you maybe haven’t given it enough.

The last 10km can do some really weird things to your brain and body and that’s what you have to prepare for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copa said:

If it’s your first marathon my non-professional advice is to pace yourself to get to 32km comfortably. Get to 32km and feel like you maybe haven’t given it enough.

The last 10km can do some really weird things to your brain and body and that’s what you have to prepare for.

It'll be rate, people make so much of things

🙂

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 2 weeks later...

I did Silksworth parkun in Sunderland last Saturday. A hilly finish and a bit of a gale made it quite tough - it's on an old colliery site where've they've used the tip as a dry ski slope. One of the friendliest parkruns I've been to - free coffee afterwards and I met a couple of runners who I then went for another run with on Sunday.

Meanwhile back at my local parkrun, Poolsbrook, the first finisher was the 6th fastest parkrunner in the UK at 15.21 (course record) but would have been 2nd at the Dulwich parkrun mentioned above! Poolsbrook is flat but it's not the easiest of surfaces and has some tricky corners and a narrow gateway so it's a really good time.

Over at my home run of Rother Valley, 2 women finished in the country's top 10. Neither beat the women's course record of 17 minutes exactly, set almost 10 years ago.

• Like 2

Buckingham parkrun yesterday. Lovely, mostly flat course but I've been feeling rough all week and it was a real slog to get round it.

That's 326 in total now and 103 different ones.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Stratford Upon Avon ParkRun yesterday.  Includes lovely 500m along the riverbank footpath opposite RSC theatre. 

Flat, narrow course but good for me as the field stretched after lap 1 of 3. 

• Like 2

Gradually getting quicker over the last few weeks since my struggles at Buckingham. On Saturday I went to Market Rasen, which runs on the service road inside the racetrack, and ran sub 25, and above 65% WAVA score for the first time in ages. Last week I was at Selby, which is a bit bleak to be honest as it runs around an old airfield. Anyway, that's 330 now at 105 different venues. I'm 1,900th in the league table of UK people who've been to more than 30 parkruns. The leader has over 600 different events and there are more than 27,000 people on that list.

• Like 2