Quick Tap Penalties

When is it acceptable/legal to take a quick tap penalty (not restart) and when is it not? I find the current system confusing and it appears to be an arbitrary decision by the referees, but maybe I'm not paying attention.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It's much better than it used to be.

The same player who gathers the ball is allowed to take a quick tap. They're not allowed to pass it forward to anyone else like they used to.

That's a 20m restart, not a penalty.

It is a good question, not sure I know either.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

In NRL you can't take a quick tap if the penalty is within the 10m, or if the penalty is for "inside the 10" or if any of your teammates are offside. Also the ref has to point to the spot and ref and touch judges get into position.

Last season in a u18s game the opposition kept giving penalties for holding down and interference at play the ball I kept asking our players to take a quick tap but they said the ref woudnt let them,this in my opinion played into the oppositions hands to slow  play down.

Now then, in the return fixture same ref, it was brought up before the game and he said he would allow a quick restart from pens.

Also in the first game I was critical that after about eight pens for similar offences he dident warn the opposition that the next offence would warrant the sin bin,after all that's one of the reasons its there.

Archived