Albi-Carcassonne

The French Championship takes place on the 29th of this month. I think it will be one of the best in some years. The two sides are very different. Carcassonne have been on top for years. While their other team this year Albi are very different. Saying that the the side from the Tarn beat the Canri twice (20-14) at home and (32-30) away. Albi have very little success in the Championship losing in all 1956,1958 & 1977. I think they won further back in 1947!

Presently the Albi side is being driven by Tom Gigot Well known here as well as across the Channel. Played I think at Catalans Dragons,Toronto and else where. This last week Gigot made shore he made Narbonne. Limoux where ahead at half-time in the semi-final with Albi one player down. Gigot got 2 tries himself and made two for others with wonderful  cross kicks. And to keep up the idea to having the '47 years later!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, audois said:

The French Championship takes place on the 29th of this month. I think it will be one of the best in some years. The two sides are very different. Carcassonne have been on top for years. While their other team this year Albi are very different. Saying that the the side from the Tarn beat the Canri twice (20-14) at home and (32-30) away. Albi have very little success in the Championship losing in all 1956,1958 & 1977. I think they won further back in 1947!

Presently the Albi side is being driven by Tom Gigot Well known here as well as across the Channel. Played I think at Catalans Dragons,Toronto and else where. This last week Gigot made shore he made Narbonne. Limoux where ahead at half-time in the semi-final with Albi one player down. Gigot got 2 tries himself and made two for others with wonderful  cross kicks. And to keep up the idea to having the '47 years later!

It’s on the 26th isn’t it?

Posted (edited)

Albi are the only real team that can hold carcassonnes powerful forwards, Carcassonne are a little more forward orientated this season and work around the ruck a lot more, the influence of teddy Sadauoi I reckon, if you keep gigot quiet especially if your wingers are ready for the 40/20s and cross field kicks Albi aren't very dangerous when gigot isn't having a good day, Lézignan beat them twice and both games he didn't do much, I love watching him play, especially his 20 mètre flat passes that beat 3 or 4 defenders on their own, I see a carcassonne win unless they have an off day like last year in the final v Limoux, but I know they've learnt a big lesson from that day( me too 😁)

Edited by barnyia
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I can’t find anything on X from Carcassone after early January and even then it was just updates from a match yet Albi are putting out lots of posts about the final. Seems odd for Carcassone not to use one of the main social media sites to promote themselves and the final. 🤷🏼

Edited by Gomersall

🚨 Important information Narbonne Stadium! 🚨
The club has just learned of the strict application of the Vigipirate plan at the stadium and that any exit from the stadium is definitive!
Bags will be systematically searched. No glass bottles, no metal cutlery.

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2024/05/25/les-albigeois-seront-face-a-leur-destin-11972889.php

In the small Treiziste Landerneau, the rise of Albi Rugby League for three years does not go unnoticed. The most important club in the federation in number of licensees, teams of all categories progressing in their championship, team 1 finalist of the Cup last season and semi-finalist of the championship, cadets and team 1 in the final this Sunday at the Parc des Sports et de l'Amitié.

Two exceptional men are at the origin of this spectacular renewal of a club that, only 10 years ago, was in Elite 2 and recovered by defeating, in Montpellier, its Lescurian neighbor. First virtue of the arrival at the helm of Pierre Maynadier (president) and Maurice Lagourcette (president of the Oval Club of Partners): a perfect agreement between the Tarn clubs that feed each other to the greatest satisfaction of all after sterile years of picrocholine wars. 

This fund, always present of Cathar revolt, is now channeled in the best possible way. The number of 100% Albigese players is still low, that of 100% Tarn players is hardly higher. But, for example, between the France pole of Carcassonne, the CREPS of Toulouse and the sports studies section of the Lycée Rascol, almost all cadets (U17) are in a complementary sector to the club.

Maestro Gigot

New Zealand players: Brothers Cook, Ben Shea and Chase Bernard, very linked by their Maori identity and their integration into the city and the club, sublimate their performances at the end of the season. Like the drama of Nittim Pedrero's expulsion at the half-time of the semi-final, which it was feared that it would sound the death knell of Albigenian ambitions, they delivered, like all their comrades, an an anthology performance during the second act, inflicting at 12, three attempts to nothing on stunned Limouxins. Around the white plume of Captain Tristan Dupuy, the 17 players on the match sheet delivered the quintessence of a rugby for which they have been working for several seasons.

Add to the euphoria of the foreign players we mention above, the banderilles tirelessly planted by Puech and Maria, the tackles with the pruning shears of Liauzun, Dupuy; Lardot and Goffin in unison with the common will, which disgusted the opponent. Brad Wall at the hinge, as a real pilot fish, always finds a way to find holes in the opposing net. The solids Guinguet and Tailhades in the center, Pédrero and Cancé, the latter managing to score in often spectacular conditions, complete a three-quarter line that will probably join Bergal if he is restored.

Let's keep for the best mouth, Hellec, at the back, a fifteen-man who dreamed of flourishing at XIII and who enrills penalties and transformations in addition to the tests he scores by coming to intersperse. In addition, everyone knows, Maestro Gigot adds to this set its incomparable traits of genius that delight and subjugate the public.

An "orange and black" audience, in the colors of the RCN, which will sweep by the thousands in the spans of the Sports Park.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eal said:

Will the game be available on-demand somewhere? I'm working during the final but would like to watch later.

I’ve just had a look at the Sport en France app and they have several matches from earlier in the season still available to view so I’d like to think the Final will also be on demand. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I’ve just had a look at the Sport en France app and they have several matches from earlier in the season still available to view so I’d like to think the Final will also be on demand. 

Here's hoping! Go Albi!

• Like 2