Shaun Johnson (NZ Warriors)
Jordan Kahu (Brisbane Broncos)
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters)
Manu Ma'u (Parramatta Eels)
Sam Moa (Sydney Roosters)
Jason Nightingale (St George Dragons)
Kodi Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos)
Kevin Proctor (Melbourne Storm)
Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland Cowboys)
Martin Taupau (Manly Sea Eagles)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith Panthers)
Danny Levi (19th man) (Newcastle Knights)

Looks like they followed up on McFadden's ban on the Warriors

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, who gets the 6 and 7? Johnson and .........?  Hiku?

There's no Issac Luke so I guess he wants Nikorima in the 9 and Danny Levi in the 14? Or Nokorima in the halves, Lewis Brown 9 and Danny Levi 14?

That's a forward heavy squad. I really hope Kearney doesn't do something stupid like play tohu Harris at 6. Kiwîs to lose by at least 14 I'm afraid.

Australian Brad Takairangi has been called into the Kiwis squad following the withdrawal of Peta Hiku and Alex Glenn due to injuries. Some injury concerns also for Ozzie Kenny-Dowall sees Gerard "Ozzie" Beale called into the squad. Takairangi qualifies for NZ by virtue of having represented Cook Islands 5 times.

Ahh the old Cook Islands - New Zealand nation in free association deal. Dont know Takairangi's personal story is he an Australian Citizen or a New Zealander of Cook Island descent who immigrated or his family immigrated to Australia? Or did he immigrate directly to Australia from the Cook Islands? The Cook Islanders passport is a New Zealand passport & Cook Islands currency is the NZ Dollar as the Cook Islands are a country in Free association with NZ.  Situations like this Make things like international rugby league eligibility very complicated   

Brad was apparently born in OZ to Maori and Kuki parents. I understand the Cooks/NZ relationship and the fact that there are only 10K people in Cooks. I think they should quietly fade away and maybe stick to games against Philippines, Niue, Thailand, or play in 9s tournaments. It's silly to have a "country" who will be fully dependent on heritage players forever competing in international RL.

I don't mind Beale, Nightingale, SKD playing for the Kiwis because they've never represented anyone else. As a NSWer, I would have gladly had Nightingale in a sky blue jumper years ago.

My guess: Kearney probably thinks it's a bit too much for a guy who's only played about 10 NRL games. It also allows him to move Lewis Brown to back row when Nikorima comes on. I guess it all depends on who's winning the physical battle and the yards around the 25-minute mark.

Wikipedia searched Takairangi got to agree with farmduck if his wiki info is correct born in Sydney, Australia and already played for Cook Islands... but gets to have his cake an eat it to.... eligibility rules must be rewritten soon as nation swapping is getting ridiculous!

So many loop holes tho: Cook Islands, Niue & Tokelau - NZ. Eng, Wales, Scotland not being offical countries but part of a country called the UK, the whole Ireland - UK thing is complicated. Samoa - American Samoa - USA....

Back on topicTohu Harris at stand off is a bit worrying also i dont think Gerrad Beale has previously proved NOT to be up to international standard.      

Feel a little offended given he played Nikorima against us.

Nikorima will play in the halves at some point in the game for sure. I think the idea will be for Harris to sure up the middle for 20-25 minutes and then to inject Nikorima. He is a very dangerous player who I rate highly. Lewis Brown is also a great utility who will do a good job at 9.

Nikorima will play in the halves at some point in the game for sure. I think the idea will be for Harris to sure up the middle for 20-25 minutes and then to inject Nikorima. He is a very dangerous player who I rate highly. Lewis Brown is also a great utility who will do a good job at 9.

I was joking but I'm not convinced of it tactically, I don't think it's bulk up the middle that NZ will be needing.

Given how out of sorts the kiwis are i expect the dads army to put up a decent score..which will really cover up the fact the aussies really need to start blooding some new talent cos 5 of that starting 13 are 33,34,35...

In fact i won't be surprised if any of them retire from internationals after this test

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

In fact i won't be surprised if any of them retire from internationals after this test

I certainly hope so. We still have the end of year game v NZ then the 4N and next year's ANZAC Test to bed in new players. I know I'm very unsentimental but I would have told these guys that, having lost their last 3 games, they could all take a hike.

Surely in term of the big picture it's better to make all the changes now and work out the kinks in these 2 NZ games and the Scotland game in preparation for the WC.

I guess I'm influenced by 40+ years of following the game so I don't mind sacrificing the odd year to build the future.

SKD OUT

The injury-plagued Kiwis have been dealt another blow with in-form centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall ruled out on the eve of Friday's Downer Test with Australia.

The Sydney Roosters outside back failed to get through Thursday's captain's run because of a foot injury with Parramatta's Brad Takairangi to take his place in Stephen Kearney's 17.

I always look forward to this match but then it never tends to live up to my expectations as the Kiwis never tend to perform in the mid season test.

Strangely all of the injuries and changes could make a difference as the youngsters and fringe players should be wanting to put in a good performance to gain berths for the 4 Nations and World Cup.

For those without Prem Sports it can also be watched online legally via Bet365

I always look forward to this match but then it never tends to live up to my expectations as the Kiwis never tend to perform in the mid season test.

Strangely all of the injuries and changes could make a difference as the youngsters and fringe players should be wanting to put in a good performance to gain berths for the 4 Nations and World Cup.

For those without Prem Sports it can also be watched online legally via Bet365

Me too. I get really frustrated with the kiwis inability to field their strongest team for the Anzac test whether it's due to injuries, pull outs or suspensions as this game could be huge. Plus I'd have loved to have seen the kiwis play this test match more in NZ rather than it always be played in oz.

Missing Kiwis XIII - How strong in this?

1. Roger Tuivasa Shek
2. Peter Hiku/Tuimoala Lolohea
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowell
4. Dean Whare
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Keiron Foran
7. Thomas Leuluai
8. Ben Maulino
9. Issac Luke
10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11. Simon Mannering
12. Bodene Thompson
13. Alex Glenn

Just shows you what depth the Kiwis have now. This is a XIII of those missing, injured or suspended. How times have changed even from just a few years ago.

I agonised for so long over betting on this they closed the window. I was going to take Kiwis + 19.5 @ $1.57 with a piece of Kiwis +24.5 @ $1.26 as insurance.

I have no idea who'll win this.

Archived