Phil veivers

scott

Like i said

Of course build your squad from local players, as we have done, but will that provide us with all the influential play-makers we need? Not convinced it has done in the recent past. Look at what Sammutt added to the team. Imagine Verlinden with an off-load. Callum Philips OK and maybe under a new coach he will get a more significant role but the past has shown we need a few more in the mix to make us a bit more than just an amateur team.

everyone has their own opinion thats just mine. I appreciate whatever anyone thinks. Same with coaching everyone has their own view of how to play the game. No ones wrong. If everyone was the same then every game would be like superleague is now. Robotic.

BUT without firstly saying there is no doubt Sammut was one if not the best and most talented playing in the championship, has paying him what will definitely have been a good chunk of the budget achieved anything in the grand scale of things that a local up and coming player would have. WOULD if not so much on one player would they have been able to carry a slightly bigger squad which as everyone says on here a major problem this season due to injuries etc. Im in no way saying dont sign players if they are needed from elsewhere, but not at the expense of developing what could end up better long term solutions for the club long term

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble is you develope a local player till the point he is noticed, then the other local club tries to poach him, with the result there's a bidding war. End result said local player is possibly overpaid compared to equivalent playersfrom away. Sure this is part of Town's dilemma in recent years.

Trouble is you develope a local player till the point he is noticed, then the other local club tries to poach him, with the result there's a bidding war. End result said local player is possibly overpaid compared to equivalent playersfrom away. Sure this is part of Town's dilemma in recent years

Players have gone between the two cubs forever. Id say everybit as much from them to Town. But surely that cant be an argument not to try and develop local talent. Surely the real goal is develop them and make it an environment they dont want to jump ship. Both teams are rock bottom so nows a good time to start. Which type of local is most likely to jump. One that knows regardless of how well they do they always know theres more than a good chance someone from down the M6 will play the week after. Or someone whos playing regular knows they are getting paid, as most will only make anything if they actually play, and are happy. Your always gonna get someone who will leave and also you will more likely gain players the other way. Thats sport. 

I still reckon you will keep a local player at the club longer than a traveler and that will give a bit of consistency. ANY player can and will move clubs

Players have gone between the two cubs forever. Id say everybit as much from them to Town. But surely that cant be an argument not to try and develop local talent. Surely the real goal is develop them and make it an environment they dont want to jump ship. Both teams are rock bottom so nows a good time to start. Which type of local is most likely to jump. One that knows regardless of how well they do they always know theres more than a good chance someone from down the M6 will play the week after. Or someone whos playing regular knows they are getting paid, as most will only make anything if they actually play, and are happy. Your always gonna get someone who will leave and also you will more likely gain players the other way. Thats sport.

I still reckon you will keep a local player at the club longer than a traveler and that will give a bit of consistency. ANY player can and will move clubs

Do you still go to town games Brett?Not being funny just a genuine question marra.

It's allright to bring in young amatuers and probably the right thing to do at the moment but they need good coaching.

My question is where are all these "good " amateur's going to come from to satisfy two CH 1 sides ??  at the moment the local scene is in turmoil, young lads these days  are more bothered about fake tans and looking good than playing the greatest game and aspiring to play for there local sides, to me the quantity and quality isn't there , sorry its just my opinion,

While I agree with a lot that is being said and proposed on this thread, I do feel some fans do not realise how poor the standards are in local rugby league, even just building a squad of players to complete and compete next season will be virtually impossible with what is available in the local leagues.

I do totally agree that the club's strategy needs to be more towards producing there own locally based team, however without players from outside the country or county sustaining a team and building solid foundations will be impossible.

Young local players need experienced professionals around them to learn from, and also time to mature into professional players. Also many bridges will need to be rebuilt with local clubs and players before the club can move forward.

Do you still go to town games Brett?Not being funny just a genuine question marra.

Not as much as id like or should, but mailnly down to working most weekends. Thats why i wouldnt comment on any performances or anything. These are just my views on how to move forward. Started going Games year i was born 1977 when my dad signed and been a fan since so just want to see them do well

I attendead the u14s and 16s county cup finals the other week, in the 14s it was Seaton and Kells and 16s Ellenborough and Brow, both games had plenty of good youngsters playing, both Elbra and Brow had some good exciting players who could easley make the grade, all they would require was a good coach and in the proper professional invirament to progress.

The good youngsters get signed up for Superleague Academy teams....

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

I attendead the u14s and 16s county cup finals the other week, in the 14s it was Seaton and Kells and 16s Ellenborough and Brow, both games had plenty of good youngsters playing, both Elbra and Brow had some good exciting players who could easley make the grade, all they would require was a good coach and in the proper professional invirament to progress.

most are 6-8 years away from being anywhere near ready though. Its the amateurs flowting around that need to step up now, but as others have said theres very few good enough to step up to our level. And even less commited enough.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

most are 6-8 years away from being anywhere near ready though. Its the amateurs flowting around that need to step up now, but as others have said theres very few good enough to step up to our level. And even less commited enough.

Maybe some truth in that comment, but I am certain that due to the state of the amateur game there are a large number of players who converted to Union to get more games consistently and also more opportunity to play at a higher level as there are more opportunities to showcase their talent.

I don't think its always a case that the amateurs needing to step up, its also a responsibility of the club to give them more of an opportunity.

Were there any players  given trials etc. throughout the season to try to put a full team on the field during the periods of high levels of injuries ?

It also doesn't hep when players who are contracted to town are allegedly playing Union on a Saturday and then for Town on a Sunday. If true this is bound to impact on fitness levels thus increasing risk of injury.

Archived