Phil veivers

scott

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever they do build from bottom up and get some stability. Dont throw money at travelling and foreign players to try and get up first time. Get a good structure try and get involved with local juniors, build a pathway from them to first team and produce players instead of having to shell out for lets be honest mostly average players from out the county.  Need to get into a position when they go up they can survive. Get the best local players and PLAY them week in week out. get experience and then give themselves a fighting chance in championship. Travelers and foreigners might get them out of this division but season after when they go whos left to pick up the pieces and stay in championship. IT CANT BE A QUICK FIX. Just my opinion.

That sounds great Brett, but the local amateur seen is in bits at the moment with clubs unable to field teams week after week, there's only Brow, Kells, and the Mont that are playing regular when in the past we had great local talent to cherry pick, I don't think we could get enough gooduns to pick a seven a side team marra, we need a situation were the players train with town and are assigned to us, but they can play for their amateur clubs as well that is until they have developed enough to play in what will be a hard league, we had 4 lads that Town signed this year that got fed waiting to play and packed it all in, I agree it cant be fixed straight away but for us to go forward the local amateur seen has to be fixed as well , just my opinion marra.

Will town revisit players like Akehurst, Lucock ??and surely Forrester must be persuaded to come back , they would go well and get a reward for their commitment in this league by playing more games , However what about the next batch who may not be quite ready, if they give it a go and are not making the 17 then they too will get no rugby. There has got to be one of two things happen or even both, 1st year professional players should be allowed to play for amateur teams or if your looking at a pathway is it possible that Town could enter an amateur team in the County league and identify the talent say at 16-18 and basically they train with town week in week out and stay amateur and when they are deemed ready they step up they are added to the full squad I don't know if this is an answer but something has to change with the current situation,

That sounds great Brett, but the local amateur seen is in bits at the moment with clubs unable to field teams week after week, there's only Brow, Kells, and the Mont that are playing regular when in the past we had great local talent to cherry pick, I don't think we could get enough gooduns to pick a seven a side team marra, we need a situation were the players train with town and are assigned to us, but they can play for their amateur clubs as well that is until they have developed enough to play in what will be a hard league, we had 4 lads that Town signed this year that got fed waiting to play and packed it all in, I agree it cant be fixed straight away but for us to go forward the local amateur seen has to be fixed as well , just my opinion marra.

IMO it goes hand in hand with the pro game. When town and haven have done well so as the amateur game. I agree theres alot to do on that front but that dosnt mean there arent good players. Problem is there isnt enough players. Ive heard the barrow teams or at least some are wanting out of the league with the local teams to go back to barrow district. So if those west cumbrian teams come back to the rest of the carla teams why not try a complete revamp of the setup. probably a season thats half winter half spring take away the summer distractions. How about 2 groups of teams. Allerdale and Copeland. each team plays twice against team from your own group. and once against each team from other group. top four from each group play off for district champ and two winners play off for grand final. 3 Allerdale VS copeland games each year. Just something different.

The thing with the locals good players is now heres a chance to sign them and play them week in week out and let them develop with no pressure

Will town revisit players like Akehurst, Lucock ??and surely Forrester must be persuaded to come back , they would go well and get a reward for their commitment in this league by playing more games , However what about the next batch who may not be quite ready, if they give it a go and are not making the 17 then they too will get no rugby. There has got to be one of two things happen or even both, 1st year professional players should be allowed to play for amateur teams or if your looking at a pathway is it possible that Town could enter an amateur team in the County league and identify the talent say at 16-18 and basically they train with town week in week out and stay amateur and when they are deemed ready they step up they are added to the full squad I don't know if this is an answer but something has to change with the current situation,

Have some sort of pre contract for developing players. Just let them train as and when they can without missing their amateur training and watch them develop. help them with training plans without the actual signing. some might end up through your fingers but hopefully if looked after most wont

the conference teams jacked that idea off unanimously last season Kells wath brow and egremont where all against it

If we keep say 10 of our present squad where do the other 20 come from as we had 25 this year and that bit us in the  ---- !! , these young lads need to be able to go back to there "mother club" and play, but train with Town once a week, then the player is getting the training and conditioning that they need and the "mother club" gets there player back to play and Town have a squad they can call upon, it isn't going to be fixed straight away but the local seen needs to change as well !!

If we keep say 10 of our present squad where do the other 20 come from as we had 25 this year and that bit us in the  ---- !! , these young lads need to be able to go back to there "mother club" and play, but train with Town once a week, then the player is getting the training and conditioning that they need and the "mother club" gets there player back to play and Town have a squad they can call upon, it isn't going to be fixed straight away but the local seen needs to change as well !!

like i said not a quick fix. But you said earlier the local scene is struggling, so where are these young lads gonna develop best. Amateur teams where games are getting called off week in week out. Or getting good game time at the level they are aspiring to with hopefully good coaching and being given the experience they need to step up to the same level. Believe me playing in a second division CARLA game is gonna give them nowhere near the idea how big of a step its gonna be. its got to be about more than winning at first. And i dont say that lightly and i dont mean that they shouldnt be going out to win each and every but being competitive and development has to be number 1 priority for the long term good of the club. Everyone has their own opinion and obviously this is just mine. I may be wrong 

Could we afford it?

But we have all these 'anonymous wealthy backers' don't we? Forgive my cynicism but struggling to share others rebuilding optimism. Whether or not any sensible links are set up with the amateur game seems at best we are not likely to have much more than an amateur set up anyhow next year.

But we have all these 'anonymous wealthy backers' don't we? Forgive my cynicism but struggling to share others rebuilding optimism. Whether or not any sensible links are set up with the amateur game seems at best we are not likely to have much more than an amateur set up anyhow next year.

Start again. Take a leaf out of barrows book. They didnt just call it a day theyve buit over a few seasons using alot of local lads and this season have been there or there abouts. It will be alot easier to build in this league than championship and the pressures of staying up. If theres no optimism theres no hope. Build it again from ground up and dont look for a quick fix

Whatever they do build from bottom up and get some stability. Dont throw money at travelling and foreign players to try and get up first time. Get a good structure try and get involved with local juniors, build a pathway from them to first team and produce players instead of having to shell out for lets be honest mostly average players from out the county.  Need to get into a position when they go up they can survive. Get the best local players and PLAY them week in week out. get experience and then give themselves a fighting chance in championship. Travelers and foreigners might get them out of this division but season after when they go whos left to pick up the pieces and stay in championship. IT CANT BE A QUICK FIX. Just my opinion.

totally agree we have to build bridges with the local youth and amateur clubs

i agree with the posters on here , we need to work with the amateur clubs closely and build a team around a core bed of local players . i myself do not want to see us bounce back up in our first year , but would prefer a year of no pressure rugby and let the team enjoy its rugby again . build for the future and then get serious .perhaps if we get a big enough squad a bit more player rotation might keep everybody happy .

i agree with the posters on here , we need to work with the amateur clubs closely and build a team around a core bed of local players . i myself do not want to see us bounce back up in our first year , but would prefer a year of no pressure rugby and let the team enjoy its rugby again . build for the future and then get serious .perhaps if we get a big enough squad a bit more player rotation might keep everybody happy .

to be fair marra youse have had a good hardcore of local players last 6 or 7 seasons and have progressed year after year that's been your biggest strength while us at haven have chopped and changed the core of our team year in year out

Mixed feelings about PV, he made an instant impact when he arrived and we did play some good stuff. But we lost Miller and the rumours about other players leaving weren't good, and his inability to front up after a defeat was frustrating and makes you think he's a sulker.

But thanks for everything Phil and good luck.

As for the next coach, it has to be the best man out there regardless of the postcode. If he has a standing in the game it will be as much a draw to players as his accent.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Vievers gone, it's time for a new chapter in Town's history, and it's time to rebuild.

Onwards and upwards!!!

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

I can't decide if this is a wise decision or not ! On one hand he had some terrible luck with injuries, especially this season, when we were playing catch up after the first few games when we were without some key players and also with the loss of the Wigan DR. On the other hand he blew a fairly big budget in the last 2 seasons and this was his downfall IMO. We had a great first season under him and he will be also remembered along with Charlo for beating our neighbours 5 times in a season. My main concern is, who do we replace him with ?

I would like to thank Phil for his efforts and commitment to the club for the past 3 years and wish him all the very best for the future.

Mixed feelings about PV, he made an instant impact when he arrived and we did play some good stuff. But we lost Miller and the rumours about other players leaving weren't good, and his inability to front up after a defeat was frustrating and makes you think he's a sulker.

But thanks for everything Phil and good luck.

As for the next coach, it has to be the best man out there regardless of the postcode. If he has a standing in the game it will be as much a draw to players as his accent.

we can blame phil for a lot of things, but miller leaving because of him is certainly not 1 of them. Thets all down to 1 man and a twitter post.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

we can blame phil for a lot of things, but miller leaving because of him is certainly not 1 of them. Thets all down to 1 man and a twitter post.

More like an envelope with 10 grand in it. He was already down the road before that tweet.

Somebody speaks with forked tongue to you then Wonky .

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Start again. Take a leaf out of barrows book. They didnt just call it a day theyve buit over a few seasons using alot of local lads and this season have been there or there abouts. It will be alot easier to build in this league than championship and the pressures of staying up. If theres no optimism theres no hope. Build it again from ground up and dont look for a quick fix

Of course build your squad from local players, as we have done, but will that provide us with all the influential play-makers we need? Not convinced it has done in the recent past. Look at what Sammutt added to the team. Imagine Verlinden with an off-load. Callum Philips OK and maybe under a new coach he will get a more significant role but the past has shown we need a few more in the mix to make us a bit more than just an amateur team.

whoever we get as coach must realise he must make himself available for the local media and must sell the club just like any other person involved in the running of the club . this was phils biggest failing , anyone listening to him on the radio (when he could be bothered to turn up that is ) would not have been inspired by his interviews , in fact he probably had the opposite effect .

Archived