Soup Maker

Has anyone got one?

If so any recipe ideas?

I've never even heard of this gadget before, but a quick Google leads me to this question - does it have a sauté feature, or is it the basic warmer/blender?

Either way, there are millions of soup recipes out there on the web, and I expect most of them will either work with a soup maker or be easily adaptable.

Then again, there are some fine soups that require extra-long cooking or include things better not blended, like bones. Blending potatoes (often used in soup) can lead to starchy texture problems.

That said, get a pair of gloves on, find a big patch of nettles somewhere relatively unpolluted and pick the top few inches from the greenest ones - there's a tasty soup ingredient that's also completely free.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a soup maker... but she's working today

TBH I thought it was Cameron, he seems to have landed us in the soup.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I've never even heard of this gadget before, but a quick Google leads me to this question - does it have a sauté feature, or is it the basic warmer/blender?

Either way, there are millions of soup recipes out there on the web, and I expect most of them will either work with a soup maker or be easily adaptable.

Then again, there are some fine soups that require extra-long cooking or include things better not blended, like bones. Blending potatoes (often used in soup) can lead to starchy texture problems.

That said, get a pair of gloves on, find a big patch of nettles somewhere relatively unpolluted and pick the top few inches from the greenest ones - there's a tasty soup ingredient that's also completely free.

Yes it has a saute and so far I'm very pleased with the two soups I have made.

As for the nettles I once read that nettles have a very high uric acid content. As I suffer from gout I immediately gave them up and cut them out of my diet completely!

As an aside I remember visiting Heysham Head as a kid and there were a few stalls selling "Nettle Beer". I've never seen it since.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

As for the nettles I once read that nettles have a very high uric acid content. As I suffer from gout I immediately gave them up and cut them out of my diet completely!

As an aside I remember visiting Heysham Head as a kid and there were a few stalls selling "Nettle Beer". I've never seen it since.

Dietary opinions are many and varied - this seems to suggest the opposite: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/stinging-nettle

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was given one a while back,it is good to be fair,I even made mushroom and truffle oil soup with it because I had it in Italy and it was amazing but it now lies in peace in my graveyard cupboard along with my coffee machine,electronic  potato peeler and suction lever wine bottle opener

I was given one a while back,it is good to be fair,I even made mushroom and truffle oil soup with it because I had it in Italy and it was amazing but it now lies in peace in my graveyard cupboard along with my coffee machine,electronic  potato peeler and suction lever wine bottle opener

Wot! No breadmaker?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

First question with any kitchen gadget - how easy is it to clean? That's why Britain's below-sink cupboards are filled with juicers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

First question with any kitchen gadget - how easy is it to clean? That's why Britain's below-sink cupboards are filled with juicers.

Very easy. Stainless steel and so far just wash out the cooked soup and a swipe over with a scotchbrite soap pad does the job. Whether that stays the same or not will I suspect decide if it joins those other things with plugs on at the back of the cupboard

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I remember that as a kid as well - was it Granny Smith's?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived