Western Force to the NRL?

So for a brief moment (a very brief moment) I thought I was a genus the other day when I thought, "you know, if the ARU kick the Western Force from Super Rugby the NRL should offer them a spot in the NRL".

Logic behind the idea was we would get a pre-made franchise with established fans who might jump over to the NRL through spite of having their ARU franchise kicked from the competition. Also suddenly having no Rugby team to watch on their weekends would give the NRL the opportunity to fill that gap with a similar game that is more running orientated instead of the other alternative, AFL.

Sure you would have to kick most of the playing roster except maybe a few guys. Ex Cowboy/Bulldogs Curtis Rona for example. A new team might open up some options for over sea's players, NRL players on the cusp of A-grade or even ex League players playing Rugby now there are less positions in Super Rugby and with the addition of a new NRL franchise room for more talent. Since Super Rugby are getting rid of 3 teams (I think) there might even be room for some new converts. 

Of course you cant have an original idea these days. Apparently on NRL 360 Ben Ikin offered the same idea to co-host Paul Kent who rubbished the idea saying there is not enough talent in our game for another franchise.  

What do you guys reckon?

The statement about not enough talent is idiotic enough that no-one who says it deserves to be taken seriously.  Half the players will be below average, no matter how many clubs there are.

However, a good viably business should be given a go, regardless of whether a RU franchise has failed in the same location.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

33 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The statement about not enough talent is idiotic enough that no-one who says it deserves to be taken seriously.  Half the players will be below average, no matter how many clubs there are.

However, a good viably business should be given a go, regardless of whether a RU franchise has failed in the same location.

I completely agree. There is more talent in the NRL than I can ever remember and stacks more waiting in the wings. There are more English players playing there full time than I have ever known. There are also far more Kiwis and South Sea Islanders playing in the NRL than there have ever been. There are still more than a few decent Aussies in SL.

What often accounts for poorer performing clubs is simply bad management, whether that is at coaching or boardroom level, rather than simply bad players. There will always be clubs that have their ups and downs and many can be transformed with things like a change of coach. Like you say in a league many players are automatically below average.

I always hear the same arguments about New Zealand not getting another team or France and that they shouldn't get one until the Warriors or Catalan have won the league. Just because NZ Warriors have been managed poorly or have a bad culture doesn't mean there aren't the players for another NZ team. If anything another team would create competition and drive the NZ Warriors on to better things. The same goes for Catalans. The not enough players argument is just a cop out.

Why would rugby union fans flock to a rugby league team just because it's got the same name? Do you think Wigan fans would support them if they suddenly became a Premiership club? 

Just because there's rugby in the title of both sports, it doesn't mean they're interchangeable.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

17 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why would rugby union fans flock to a rugby league team just because it's got the same name? Do you think Wigan fans would support them if they suddenly became a Premiership club? 

Just because there's rugby in the title of both sports, it doesn't mean they're interchangeable.

Because some fans are very club orientated. Not saying they would flock over, I was saying a some would continue to support their team for that reason while others might support it as a way to get back at the RU for kicking their club.

Also important thing to note is the RU are not kicking clubs because they are run badly or failing, they are kicking them to reduce the number of clubs in their competition. 2 from South Africa and one from Australia. Its quite possible they will kick Melbourne instead of the Force.

PS : in before anyone notices, I miss spelt Genius. The irony is not lost on me.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I completely agree. There is more talent in the NRL than I can ever remember and stacks more waiting in the wings. There are more English players playing there full time than I have ever known. There are also far more Kiwis and South Sea Islanders playing in the NRL than there have ever been. There are still more than a few decent Aussies in SL.

What often accounts for poorer performing clubs is simply bad management, whether that is at coaching or boardroom level, rather than simply bad players. There will always be clubs that have their ups and downs and many can be transformed with things like a change of coach. Like you say in a league many players are automatically below average.

I always hear the same arguments about New Zealand not getting another team or France and that they shouldn't get one until the Warriors or Catalan have won the league. Just because NZ Warriors have been managed poorly or have a bad culture doesn't mean there aren't the players for another NZ team. If anything another team would create competition and drive the NZ Warriors on to better things. The same goes for Catalans. The not enough players argument is just a cop out.

Spot on. It rankles me when people say there aren't enough players for this and that or we should drop from a 14 team SL to 12 coz of this reason. 

As you quite rightly point out the problem isn't whether there's enough good players but whether there are enough well run clubs, because well run clubs have good coaches, administrators, systems etc that is the biggest problem in both the NRL and SL 

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I agree 100%. Having a NRL team in Perth will grow the game at grassroots in Western Australia exponentially. Just look at meleborne Storm which are now seeing youngsters filter into their junior sides and even 1st team from Victoria.

Theres also players from super league, NZ, PNG, Fiji, Queensland cup and NSW cup to fill the spaces left by the creation of 2 new NRL franchises.

Depends on the money men. If a group of jilted Force backers decided not to pursue legal action against the ARU but to seek to join an expanded NRL then given that they have a ready made stadium holding 20,000. and a pre-existing brand, Plus mre juniors in the other code than Melbourne rebels. The idea does have legs.

Remember Perth is isolated from the rest of Australia so there a craving for top level sport in the city, almost any sport can be a success in the West. However given the insular attitudes amongst the Sydney clubs then I am afraid  there is more chance of Newtown returning if it ever came to a vote.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived