Hepworth Gallery

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I appreciate architecture - why not marvel at the amazing viaducts built to take trains over our roads or some of the brick and stonework on the old mills of the north? the Hepworth building  is a grey drab eyesore nothing more.

It is possible to like more than one thing in life. I don't find it a great effort to appreciate architecture and art.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

People do. I love architecture. And you haven't visited the Hepworth yet slag off what is in it. The other people who have been there at least criticise it because they have experienced it

To be fair tyb, I've never been To a premiership rugby union game and I've absolutely no desire to do so. 

But I acknowledge many enjoy it.

It's similar to the stuff in the hepworth. I have absolutely no desire to see that stuff but much happier that West Yorks has such opportunities for folk to visit

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

To be fair tyb, I've never been To a premiership rugby union game and I've absolutely no desire to do so. 

But I acknowledge many enjoy it.

It's similar to the stuff in nthe hepworth. I have absolutely no desire to see that stuff but much happier that West Yorks has such opportunities for folk to visit

You know about rugby union I'm guessing, you have a notion about it. You have seen it. Your opinion is informed.

people on this thread have been to the Hepworth and have criticised it. That's fine by me.

To blast something out of the water with no real knowledge of it is IMHO questionable. Not that I take real exception to it. It's all about enjoyment.  You criticised the building because you have seen it.

And to to think that you can enjoy one form of art but not another makes no sense to me

im not making a big thing of it, or judging 

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

admittedly I haven't been inside so what is the best thing to see if I go for a look?

I'd check out the visiting exhibitions to see what takes your fancy: that means you have a reason to go in the first place. Then take it from there. Much of the work is figurative rather than abstract don't prejudge, and it isn't all sculpture. The point of the building is that it works from the inside rather than the outside. The light is perfect and the space gives lots of possibilities for displaying work and exploring it. It's a great place to be inside for its own sake.The food is pretty good as well as it happens. 

had a peek at the website- there seems to be lot big giant teeth with holes in them - no doubt representing -er - maybe er  the importance of

1 minute ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I'd check out the visiting exhibitions to see what takes your fancy: that means you have a reason to go in the first place. Then take it from there. Much of the work is figurative rather than abstract. The point of the building is that it works from the inside rather than the outside. The light is perfect and the space gives lots of possibilities for displaying work and exploring it. It's a great place to be inside for its own sake.The food is pretty good as well as it happens. 

as good as the hot dogs and ice creams at ikea?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

had a peek at the website- there seems to be lot big giant teeth with holes in them - no doubt representing -er - maybe er  the importance of

as good as the hot dogs and ice creams at ikea?

Nothing can ever be

Archived