Hepworth Gallery

don't know how much this place has cost but you can get a decent sized skip for about 120quid for useless junk these days, pretentious rubbish housed in an ugly grey carbuncle and a very expensive café - no thanks

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

37 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

don't know how much this place has cost but you can get a decent sized skip for about 120quid for useless junk these days, pretentious rubbish housed in an ugly grey carbuncle and a very expensive café - no thanks

We all have our own ideas don't we? When did you visit?

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I bet your one of those who gets all chippy about metropolitan eletists looking down on the North as a cultural desert an'all

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

We all have our own ideas don't we? When did you visit?

have been to the sculpture park- dreadful hole - north face wearing tossers commenting on ######

I liked the part where they tweeted the result ahead of the official announcement (by a matter of seconds but still).

I played my part in the Hepworth's success by being turned down for a job there a while back - they clearly know what they're doing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

So not the Hepworth. And you judge people by the clothing they wear. Hmmm. Well you'll know not to go in future, and you didn't go to the gallery anyway. Is this a wind up?

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. :wink:

A hideous monstrosity of a building with contents that have little interest to me.

It also brings art to the people of West Yorks and beyond to enjoy and that's brilliant. I thinks it's just fab having something like the hepworth for folks to dib into.

Art takes many forms. Life without music would be soulless to me. .. each to their own.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

A hideous monstrosity of a building with contents that have little interest to me.

It also brings art to the people of West Yorks and beyond to enjoy and that's brilliant. I thinks it's just fab having something like the hepworth for folks to dib into.

Art takes many forms. Life without music would be soulless to me. .. each to their own.

The thing about the so called hideous monstrosity is that it works. The quality of light and the way space is used. It's there to do a job. Personally I think it looks good. Form follows function

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

The Hockney gallery also opens today in Bradford. Good times for the arts in West Yorkshire.

Aside from the sad farce of the Media Museum being effectively asset-stripped.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

The thing about the so called hideous monstrosity is that it works. The quality of light and the way space is used. It's there to do a job. Personally I think it looks good. Form follows function

Yep. Agree with all that. I still think it looks horrible. But that's a very subjective pov. 

I like Frank zappa's music. A lot think it's sheeite. C'est la vie 

Had a family trip to it 2 years ago.

Not for me at all.

Best bit of the trip. My youngest and i were ood next to a exhibition. Trying to work out what the hell it was. A young student was stood at the side of it. Explaining to a large crowd. How it represents the flow of life from start to finish.

My daughter turned to me and said, very loudly. What a load of pretension ###### and walked away leaving me stood there.

9 hours ago, guess who said:

Had a family trip to it 2 years ago.

Not for me at all.

Best bit of the trip. My youngest and i were ood next to a exhibition. Trying to work out what the hell it was. A young student was stood at the side of it. Explaining to a large crowd. How it represents the flow of life from start to finish.

My daughter turned to me and said, very loudly. What a load of pretension ###### and walked away leaving me stood there.

was it 2 pipe cleaners wrapped round a hairbrush with a ring pull on the top?

The scope of what you are able to see is huge. It's a shame that some visitors can't seem to find things that are either beautiful, thought provoking, provocative in a positive way, or that they can relate to in any way. Some of the visiting exhibitions have been unforgettable for me. Art, architecture and music enrich my life immensely.

Well, I ain't ever bin there but from 'avin' a gander at photos on t'internet, nearly all the exhibits look like summat that's bin washed up on a beach.

And the exterior looks a bit like the walls of a dam, could do with a lick of paint 'n' all.

But then, I'm an ignoramus and have difficulty appreciating modern art and architecture.

Still, it's free so I might have a train ride there one day so I can wander around, shaking my head and muttering a bit.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Some things in life you just don't "get". Art is one of those things for me, particularly modern art. I often look at some of it and think the "artist" is having a private joke like they're just trolling everyone to see how gullible they are. I put it in the same category as fashion, where things are trendy because someone says they are not because people actually like them.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I appreciate architecture - why not marvel at the amazing viaducts built to take trains over our roads or some of the brick and stonework on the old mills of the north? the Hepworth building  is a grey drab eyesore nothing more.

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I appreciate architecture - why not marvel at the amazing viaducts built to take trains over our roads or some of the brick and stonework on the old mills of the north? the Hepworth building  is a grey drab eyesore nothing more.

That's as I see it Johnny.  But I'm happy that others may see it differently. 

The memsahib oft describes me as the big daft ginger lump..... adding that she loves this particular big daft ginger lump.

Unfortunately Nigella isn't as impressed.

Each to their own.

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

People do. I love architecture. And you haven't visited the Hepworth yet slag off what is in it. The other people who have been there at least criticise it because they have experienced it

Archived