Ontario RL wants to play in USARL?

manu266

https://treizemondial.fr/ontario-veut-evoluer-usarl/

Didn't find any news in English to confirm that but still... I think it would be a great idea. I remember watching the exhibition game right before the Barrow game last year. The level was good for NA amateurs, I was quite alone in the stadium though, expect for players' families... 

• Supported by Team Canada coach Ben Fleming
  • Home games would serve as opening game of a USARL/Championship double header at Lamport
  • From 4 games currently to 14 games per season
  • US League excited so far but needs to check financial viability of the new team (decision on March 3)
  • More time in the Beer Garden, more players to talk to after the games

Here's an English article pour ceux qui ont besoin:

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/canada/3309-ontario-could-join-usa-rugby-league-competition

I was one of the few other random spectators at a few of the ORL curtain-raisers last season! I enjoyed the games, but what they had last year was not much of a season, and I heard that at least one of the teams had a hard time rounding up enough players for each game. One team may sound like a step down from the 3 they had last year, but forming one stronger team from the players in last year's ORL, and getting them into a full season against better competition will be a good thing for the local game. I hope this goes through, and that they have the sense to sell lots of merchandise at each game to generate some financial support. And the Wolfpack should help out financially as well!

Yeah might sound a step backwards, but 1 team playing 14 games is better than a 4 team mini league that has to merge teams during the finals. And half the games will be in the USA, and you know, rugby guys... not everyone will be allowed south of the border, so there will be opportunities to rotate. + Team Canada games as well. And one other great idea would be to have an annual Region of Origin, like West vs East.

I think this is a great idea.  Were I TWP I would sponsor this team and essentially make it the equivalent of an academy team.  It would shut up critics who don't think TWP is doing enough to sponsor development locally and it would really put a public stamp on pro development possibilities for amateurs in the Canadian university system. 

I really hope TWP see this for the opportunity it is and step up to the plate.  So much can be done with this.

5 hours ago, manu266 said:

I was quite alone in the stadium though, expect for players' families... 

What are you talking about?....I was around and watching at the south end.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

What are you talking about?....I was around and watching at the south end.

Why on the South end? Were you helping in setting up the VIP section or something?

9 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

They are the home of RU in Canada and can play year round no? 

BC should win but hey, anything can happen!  Leigh might even be able to get a draw from the Wolfpack some day in the far distant future!

18 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

They are the home of RU in Canada and can play year round no? 

Yeah, BC has better leagues in RU and RL. But Ontario RU has been winning the Canadian championship for like 5 years in a row, so anything is possible.  One good coach could be the difference.  

13 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Yeah, BC has better leagues in RU and RL. But Ontario RU has been winning the Canadian championship for like 5 years in a row, so anything is possible.  One good coach could be the difference.  

wont lie I don't know anything about the Rugby landscape in Canada outside of TWP. I been to one or two national RU game at BMO field in previous years.

There are few amateur RL teams in Ontario with some good people, doing stirling work.When the Bears came to Toronto last year we were helped out by one of them  Denny McCarthty. I would urge all Wolfpack fans to seek out ( google your local teams) and help them grow the game. I am a passionate advocate of the things that TWP are doing but I have to say I am disappointed that they do not engage more with the local RL teams. I believe they are an untapped resource. The current players may not be of a standard to enhance the squad but, they could unearth a future gem.

Who knows, there may be someone in the background that would be prepared to take on an off the field voluntary role that could help in raising the profile and thus grow the game  ( and unearth new talent)in N. America.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

There are few amateur RL teams in Ontario with some good people, doing stirling work.When the Bears came to Toronto last year we were helped out by one of them  Denny McCarthty. I would urge all Wolfpack fans to seek out ( google your local teams) and help them grow the game. I am a passionate advocate of the things that TWP are doing but I have to say I am disappointed that they do not engage more with the local RL teams. I believe they are an untapped resource. The current players may not be of a standard to enhance the squad but, they could unearth a future gem.

Who knows, there may be someone in the background that would be prepared to take on an off the field voluntary role that could help in raising the profile and thus grow the game  ( and unearth new talent)in N. America.

Its happening Bearman but slowly...this upcoming Wolfpack season is really important.  I know for a fact that many high quality  union club players are watching (both here and in BC) and would like a shot but the structure just isn't there yet. I've personally spoken to them both here and in BC.  It will come...but it is unrealistic for us to do in 1 year what it took 110 in England and Oz...it will come though but not as quick as many would like...that is just the way it is.   To build a proper structure takes time.

The key is a pathway...and TWP supplies that...patience my friend....patience!

There are real structural problems we face both in the high schools and universities (I've looked into it).   These have been put in place by Union and they are not easy to surmount....both Union and League are taking a different and more  working together role in NA and that requires take and give on both sides....there is some Union opposition but many Union people are keeping an open mind and are on board.... there is also some League opposition about consulting with Union, I'm optimistic about this....patience my friend ......patience, it going to take some time.

Thats just the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ojx said:

I believe the USARL meeting was March 3rd. Any news on the status of the ORL bid?

USARL had their annual meeting today in FL. No announcement yet. I'm gonna check my news feed tomorrow at 11am, hoping for a good news.

Archived