New season - it's finally here!

I watched the Hunslet Parkside versus Thatto game and I cannot remember, even in the blizzards in the last 10 minutes,  the Referee stopping the game cos of the conditions.We had to look away cos of the snow but the players continued to play on regardless with Thatto scoring a try in the last minute!Well done to both teams.Well worth the £3 in.

On 18/03/2018 at 11:37 AM, neutralfan said:

I watched the Hunslet Parkside versus Thatto game and I cannot remember, even in the blizzards in the last 10 minutes,  the Referee stopping the game cos of the conditions.We had to look away cos of the snow but the players continued to play on regardless with Thatto scoring a try in the last minute!Well done to both teams.Well worth the £3 in.

It really was awful at points wasn't it! 

Fair play to Thatto, they showed up really well and although they got the try right at the end to make the score closer it was more than deserved over the course of the game. Very scrappy from our side and not just because of the conditions. Still not managed to put our full starting 13 out this season but the lads that are stepping up are doing a great job. 

Big games are coming thick and fast for us - Siddal, Thatto and now a trip up to Wath Brow this weekend. The boys are really up for this one as I'm sure Brow will be after our meeting in the CC a few weeks ago. 

Saturday the 24th of March
York Acorn v Bradford Dudley Hill
LIVE TV: 4:00pm-6:15pm FreeSports

Any fans of either club want to name a few players to watch for? There'll be a lot of viewers who have never seen either team play before.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, neutralfan said:

Star men for Dudley hill  are half back Dave Halley (ex pro ),full back Aidan Batey and powerful winger Neil Wall imo.For York look out for try scoring centre Ryan Gallacher and the Chilton brothers who are good half backs.Enjoy the game.

Great stuff, thanks!

It really helps you get into a game if you have a few focal points in each side. 

I have a book on the French tours to Australia in the Fifites, and journalists back then would write "pen portraits" for each squad member. It was usually just a brief, one sentence description, but it helped fans get acquainted with unfamiliar teams.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, that was a bit of a nail-biter, right up to the 91st(!) minute.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really enjoyed that, the free sports coverage is pretty good considering they will be running on an absolute shoe string budget. Enjoy the nice mix of banter between the Commentators too.

If i was in the Dudley hill camp i would be pretty damn mad about all the added time, i can't see where more than 3 or 4 minutes came from never mind it finishing up at 11! Anyway, that aside the officials did a very good job and i enjoyed it.looking forward to the Wath brow kells game next, i hope free sports stick with it.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:20 PM, SilentAssassin said:

Really enjoyed that, the free sports coverage is pretty good considering they will be running on an absolute shoe string budget. Enjoy the nice mix of banter between the Commentators too.

If i was in the Dudley hill camp i would be pretty damn mad about all the added time, i can't see where more than 3 or 4 minutes came from never mind it finishing up at 11! Anyway, that aside the officials did a very good job and i enjoyed it.looking forward to the Wath brow kells game next, i hope free sports stick with it.

Yes was very very difficult to take. Played 44 first half (more than acceptable), but to then go to just short of 12 minutes over was a total disgrace. They scored their try to tie the game in the 84th minute (again acceptable given the stoppages) but to carry on for a further 7 and half after left a sour taste. We should have seen the game  out at 22-12 and I thought Dave Halley, Tony Williams, Aiden batey and Neil Wall were magnificent for us. The changing room was one of the most desolate I've seen afterwards. I don't think people got to see the best of Aiden with him playing at 13 now. Defensively he misses nothing and for his size but his ball returns from full back really get us on the front foot. But re watching yesterday it was a fantastic advert for NCL rugby

23 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Yes was very very difficult to take. Played 44 first half (more than acceptable), but to then go to just short of 12 minutes over was a total disgrace. They scored their try to tie the game in the 84th minute (again acceptable given the stoppages) but to carry on for a further 7 and half after left a sour taste. We should have seen the game  out at 22-12 and I thought Dave Halley, Tony Williams, Aiden batey and Neil Wall were magnificent for us. The changing room was one of the most desolate I've seen afterwards. I don't think people got to see the best of Aiden with him playing at 13 now. Defensively he misses nothing and for his size but his ball returns from full back really get us on the front foot. But re watching yesterday it was a fantastic advert for NCL rugby

Fair summary from what i saw.

On a side note- Just hope the spectators can refrain from over stepping the mark of acceptable behaviour at these tv games.they have rather surprisingly to me anyway, allowed full audio from the sidelines and thankfully, although there was drinking as usual atmosphere seemed good and  i didn't catch any foul language or abuse. I have been to enough amateur games though to know it can get nasty at times, just hope a silly casual few don't spoil it for everyone.

22 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

Fair summary from what i saw.

On a side note- Just hope the spectators can refrain from over stepping the mark of acceptable behaviour at these tv games.they have rather surprisingly to me anyway, allowed full audio from the sidelines and thankfully, although there was drinking as usual atmosphere seemed good and  i didn't catch any foul language or abuse. I have been to enough amateur games though to know it can get nasty at times, just hope a silly casual few don't spoil it for everyone.

Thanks, as I say can't complain about the equalising try we should have had enough to see it out. As for the fans yeah I agree the general concept is fantastic and i'm sure they gauge spectator reaction before deciding to speak to them live on TV. The concept is great for the lads and the amateur game though

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 4:42 PM, Davo5 said:

Siddal 27-24 Thatto

Mayfield 10-16 Wath Brow

Hunslet 36-0 Kells

Only scores I’ve heard

Saturday was our most complete performance of the season so far. Not sure if Kells had any missing but we dominated them from start to finish. By their own admission they never looked like scoring really, apart from an opportune moment, and that was due to our defence being superb. We always know we have points in our attack but we knew defence would be key this season so to have only conceded 20 points in our first 4 games is really pleasing. 

10 hours ago, Mr Partridge said:

You are undoubtedly a good side and a well organised club old lad,but your triumphalism is beginning to irritate.Remember Pride cometh before a fall.However I can't see anyone knocking you off your perch at the moment

I'm sorry in no way whatsoever that this irritates you, Mr P. I mean I could've looked at this from a different angle and said Kells were awful, in fact so must all the clubs we've played so far - would that cause less irritation than saying we played great? 

If you look at the table it tells you that Hunslet are the best team at this moment in time,but you don't win anything in April,you win it at the end of the season after a tough play off series involving 6 very good teams who are usually at or near to full strength.

After seeing Hunslet for the first time this season,they are a big hardworking side who know how to play to their strength's,are clever in slowing the game down which benefits their big pack,but it's a long season and a team like Siddal with probably more class and talent and who were by far the best team over the last few regular seasons only managed 1 title in that time.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

If you look at the table it tells you that Hunslet are the best team at this moment in time,but you don't win anything in April,you win it at the end of the season after a tough play off series involving 6 very good teams who are usually at or near to full strength.

After seeing Hunslet for the first time this season,they are a big hardworking side who know how to play to their strength's,are clever in slowing the game down which benefits their big pack,but it's a long season and a team like Siddal with probably more class and talent and who were by far the best team over the last few regular seasons only managed 1 title in that time.

Completely agree - that's the exact message we deliver week in week out. Finishing top of the regular season means nothing to us if we choke in the play offs. Far sooner finish 4th and be involved in the final shake up. 

I watched 2 very good teams last Saturday in Normanton and Egremont.Normy are a fast side who like to get the ball out wide quickly.They were 24- 6 up at half time and were playing some entertaining rugby but the game totally changed in the second half.Egremont showed some real substance and fight and never gave up!Back they came with 4 tries in half an hour and nearly snatched victory in a terrific game.Well worth the £2 50 in.

Archived