PDC World Darts Championship 2018

1 hour ago, shrek said:

I'm sure he could still earn good money, but they seem to travel lots, I'd imagine the top PDC players have a fairly punishing schedule.

Looks like in "retirement" he's still doing plenty with his sponsors and doing plenty of exhibition games on his terms etc, bet the moneys still good.  https://twitter.com/PhilTaylor

Weapons grade cock.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

You are not a fan of his character?  On what basis?

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Well, there's the published facts about him. And I also know a couple of people who've had dealings with him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Well, there's the published facts about him. And I also know a couple of people who've had dealings with him.

Fair enough.  There is a line or two in his Wikipedia entry.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Aside from the Wikipedia entries, I was never a fan of how he often played, lots of gamesmanship that I'm not sure would have been accepted from other players.  In many ways it was always unnecessary, he was a good player and more often than not he'd be up against players with a lot less experience on the big stage.

He often interviewed like an arrogant prat, but then with so many world championships under his belt, I suppose many of us would struggle to keep our egos in check!

I really hope Anderson does MVG . We can talk about The Power’s arrogance but MVG has that arrogant disrespectful attitude at times with opponents . Who are you, I can do what I like ?  Carried that around a bit last night , almost like the other guy is just wasting his time hanging around . Come on Gary sort him out . I’m sure the crowd will be all Anderson , I’ve noticed they’re more than lukewarm to MVG and have even booed

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I really hope Anderson does MVG . We can talk about The Power’s arrogance but MVG has that arrogant disrespectful attitude at times with opponents . Who are you, I can do what I like ?  Carried that around a bit last night , almost like the other guy is just wasting his time hanging around . Come on Gary sort him out . I’m sure the crowd will be all Anderson , I’ve noticed they’re more than lukewarm to MVG and have even booed

MVG didn't warm to having beer hurled over him earlier in the tournament thats for sure!

I like Anderson, not sure he's enjoying his darts though, seems by his own admission he's fallen out with it, struggling to be motivated to practice etc, hope he wins tonight, just can't see it, that said MVG was average last night. 

Certainly been a funny old tournament so far!

2 minutes ago, shrek said:

MVG didn't warm to having beer hurled over him earlier in the tournament thats for sure!

I like Anderson, not sure he's enjoying his darts though, seems by his own admission he's fallen out with it, struggling to be motivated to practice etc, hope he wins tonight, just can't see it, that said MVG was average last night. 

Certainly been a funny old tournament so far!

He always says he just turns up , whatever happens happens , he doesn’t practice . Wow , he’d be good if he started practicing !

Other than Gerwyn Price going out a couple of hours after I stuck a few quid on him getting to the final, I’ve enjoyed the tournament, it’s been a pretty unpredictable ride .

I’m not sure it’s done my confidence at the oche much good, mind, hearing ‘180’ ‘180’ ‘180’ when you’re hitting 26s. Still, not as bad as it was for my mate John who kept throwing for the wrong scores whilst John Henderson was playing due to the commentators saying ‘John needs so and so score’ and him going for that instead of what he should’ve been going for.

I do wish the crowd would remember they’ve paid good money to watch the games though, rather than spending half the time not even looking at the stage. Have a few drinks and a good time, but at least pay some attention to the game..

2 hours ago, WelshpoolMarauder said:

Other than Gerwyn Price going out a couple of hours after I stuck a few quid on him getting to the final, I’ve enjoyed the tournament, it’s been a pretty unpredictable ride .

I’m not sure it’s done my confidence at the oche much good, mind, hearing ‘180’ ‘180’ ‘180’ when you’re hitting 26s. Still, not as bad as it was for my mate John who kept throwing for the wrong scores whilst John Henderson was playing due to the commentators saying ‘John needs so and so score’ and him going for that instead of what he should’ve been going for.

I do wish the crowd would remember they’ve paid good money to watch the games though, rather than spending half the time not even looking at the stage. Have a few drinks and a good time, but at least pay some attention to the game..

Every time they start stand up if you love the darts I think then why don’t you watch it . They seem to be looking for any distraction ! And that boring boring table ... I mean the mind numbing repetition of all this rubbish 

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Every time they start stand up if you love the darts I think then why don’t you watch it . They seem to be looking for any distraction ! And that boring boring table ... I mean the mind numbing repetition of all this rubbish 

They’re even doing it now whilst an amazing game is taking place. I get it if it’s a poor game, but during this game?!

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m changing my prediction to an MVG v Smith final . Cheers Gary , at least turn up next time 

He turned up for the first set and then it wouldn’t have mattered what he did.

Smith actually averaged more than MVG , but you just feel MVG had and has  a point to prove with the talk about Gary being the number one , and the events of last years semi which really affected him . He’s super confident as you would be , ‘ Smith , I’ve got a great record against him ‘ and you just can’t back against him . I like Smith , he’s served his apprenticeship and I just hope he produces his A game and really pushes MVG . Should be good , very fast entertaining players

On 12/31/2018 at 1:56 PM, DavidM said:

Smith actually averaged more than MVG , but you just feel MVG had and has  a point to prove with the talk about Gary being the number one , and the events of last years semi which really affected him . He’s super confident as you would be , ‘ Smith , I’ve got a great record against him ‘ and you just can’t back against him . I like Smith , he’s served his apprenticeship and I just hope he produces his A game and really pushes MVG . Should be good , very fast entertaining players

I think you have summarised it spot on. After the semi final defeat I think MVG focused on peaking for the worlds this year. 

He is consistently far and away the best player. The others can beat him over a short distance if they play at their absolute peak, but long distance he is virtually unbeatable unless someone (Cross last year) plays the game of h8s life. 

Pretty comfy for MVG despite not being st his brilliant best . The comms were trying to make it interesting but really Smith was always chasing his tail after the start . His weakness is always doubling and against this guy it’ll kill ya . MVG misses but he usually has leeway and hits when it matters . Smith will be disappointed he didn’t show his A game consistently  , especially with MVG not peaking , but it’s another big step for him . MVG just seemed relieved , he knows this is where he’s judged . He’s a phenomenal talent 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Pretty comfy for MVG despite not being st his brilliant best . The comms were trying to make it interesting but really Smith was always chasing his tail after the start . His weakness is always doubling and against this guy it’ll kill ya . MVG misses but he usually has leeway and hits when it matters . Smith will be disappointed he didn’t show his A game consistently  , especially with MVG not peaking , but it’s another big step for him . MVG just seemed relieved , he knows this is where he’s judged . He’s a phenomenal talent 

Disappointing final, MVG never really had to get going, hope Smith gets another crack at it, sure he will.

Was disappointed with the Premier League line up, I guess money speaks and thats why Barney is in, suits me I've a job lot of his flights to get shut off, but would have like to see Simon Whitlock in there instead.

Just seen the PL line up . Shocked Barney is in there tbh , they are wheeling this guy around on a name and have for some time. Way off what he was and half the time barely looks interested . Very unfair on players who deserve it through performance 

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Just seen the PL line up . Shocked Barney is in there tbh , they are wheeling this guy around on a name and have for some time. Way off what he was and half the time barely looks interested . Very unfair on players who deserve it through performance 

Just looked on wiki. Who's #9 on the Order of Merit because he's the only one of the top 10 not in?

They need Barney because, contrary to some views on here, the PDC is getting pretty low on star wattage and they have a venue in the Netherlands to fill.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just looked on wiki. Who's #9 on the Order of Merit because he's the only one of the top 10 not in?

They need Barney because, contrary to some views on here, the PDC is getting pretty low on star wattage and they have a venue in the Netherlands to fill.

I think Whitlock is in the top 10 and Chizzy is around there . It’s playibg pretty safe with familiar faces there . Maybe the crop of youngsters that’s so exciting could have had a rep there - Van den Burgh is box office for the PL and another country getting represented , or Hopp as its in Germany and they are totally mad for it there 

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think Whitlock is in the top 10 and Chizzy is around there . It’s playibg pretty safe with familiar faces there . Maybe the crop of youngsters that’s so exciting could have had a rep there - Van den Burgh is box office for the PL and another country getting represented , or Hopp as its in Germany and they are totally mad for it there 

Whitlock is at 9, Wade 10, Chizzy is just outside at 12 and Adrian Lewis is a tad further down at 14, which is a shame, hope he gets back in the ten this year.

Hope Barney turns up, he just doesn't look bothered to me and I think thats reflected in the lack of tournaments he's attending.

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure who's offering up views to the contrary, but I think its very telling I can shift more Phil Taylor branded stuff than all the other players put together which isn't great given he's been retired for a year!

Archived