Fitness Thread

On 19/10/2023 at 23:16, GeordieSaint said:

… so on that last point, signed up to the Spine Challenger North next June. 160 miles…. Doh! 😳

Dot watching this weekend?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 25/10/2023 at 12:20, Bedford Roughyed said:

18.5kgs lost now.  Last couple of weeks have been iffy, definitely not been putting the effort in.  

Can't complain about 18.5! but the big picture is I've gone from very obese to slightly less very obese 🤣

Now 25Kgs down.

Still failing to be consistent.  Will be trying to start some weights this week.  

• Like 4

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

28 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Dot watching this weekend?  

Lol. Yep. Epic race this year. 

Went out this morning 30km. The trails round here are basically mud baths at the moment. Not sure how I am going to do 160 miles. In turbo clip this evening! 😂

• Like 1

I've been dot watching too - probably the strongest field ever. Shame John Kelly had to drop out so early.

I did 25k on the tops yesterday, absolutely beautiful in the sun. Dusting of snow and the frozen ground made for much better conditions underfoot than previously. First lambs of the year too, which I was not expecting.

• Like 2

On 15/01/2024 at 11:50, JonM said:

I've been dot watching too - probably the strongest field ever. Shame John Kelly had to drop out so early.

I did 25k on the tops yesterday, absolutely beautiful in the sun. Dusting of snow and the frozen ground made for much better conditions underfoot than previously. First lambs of the year too, which I was not expecting.

The lambs have caught me by surprise this year too. Whereabouts are you? Desperately need some hill time otherwise June will be horrific! 😂

Spectacular by Jack Scott and Damien Hall. Scott is 10hrs ahead of Jasmin Parris all time record. Absolutely mental. 

Joe O’Leary is annihilating the North race as well. Rapid. Again absolutely mental as it’ll be uber cold out there. A mate did this race (full spine) and it was clocking -20C on top of Cross Fell. It’ll be the temperature tonight and up in the Cheviots too. 

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

The lambs have caught me by surprise this year too. Whereabouts are you? Desperately need some hill time otherwise June will be horrific! 😂

Spectacular by Jack Scott and Damien Hall. Scott is 10hrs ahead of Jasmin Parris all time record. Absolutely mental. 

Joe O’Leary is annihilating the North race as well. Rapid. Again absolutely mental as it’ll be uber cold out there. A mate did this race (full spine) and it was clocking -20C on top of Cross Fell. It’ll be the temperature tonight and up in the Cheviots too. 

I'm in Wensleydale, just along a bit from Hawes towards Leyburn. Hopefully the lambs are safely tucked up somewhere warm tonight. 

Quite a lot of snow round here today and more in Cumbria, and obviously the safety rules kick in, with people being held at Dufton to form groups to go over Cross Fell with people not being allowed to continue solo. Looks like some people being held at other checkpoints too. Amazing stuff though.

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2024 at 22:55, GeordieSaint said:

Went out this morning 30km. The trails round here are basically mud baths at the moment. Not sure how I am going to do 160 miles. In turbo clip this evening! 😂

How is your training going? I ran along the Pennine Way from Hardraw to Thwaite and back this morning - absolutely stunning in the sunshine. Just a touch of snow at the top of Great Shunner Fell. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

How is your training going? I ran along the Pennine Way from Hardraw to Thwaite and back this morning - absolutely stunning in the sunshine. Just a touch of snow at the top of Great Shunner Fell. 

Slowly lol…

… in all fairness, I’ve been banging out a few 20 miles around here (Rutland/Stamford) which has been great. But it is basically an absolute bog on the trails. I am actually doing that route with a friend next Sunday from Hardraw but carrying onto Tan Hill. Looking forward to it. The friend however, is a racing snake so it’ll be tough lol. 

Got Dutton-Alston (or Hartside Pass) planned for early April and then doing a night recce in the Cheviots at the start of May (I’ll bivi at Hut 1 or 2). So lots to do!

That section up Swaledale to/ from Keld is one of the best bits in terms of scenery I reckon. Around here has been a complete quagmire, although it's dried out a lot in the last week or so, but the pennine way route has had quite a lot of flags put down on the boggiest bits and is fairly runnable even in the worst of weather.

On 25/02/2024 at 16:50, JonM said:

That section up Swaledale to/ from Keld is one of the best bits in terms of scenery I reckon. Around here has been a complete quagmire, although it's dried out a lot in the last week or so, but the pennine way route has had quite a lot of flags put down on the boggiest bits and is fairly runnable even in the worst of weather.

It was a great section to Keld. But it was horrific north of there today. Ran from Hardraw to the A66. Basically a bog all the way from Keld… absolutely shattered! 😂 Stunning going over Great Shunner Fell but had to break trail in parts as the snow had some decent depth. Proper stacked it coming off it too lol… tough (but enjoyable) day. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It was a great section to Keld. But it was horrific north of there today. Ran from Hardraw to the A66. Basically a bog all the way from Keld… absolutely shattered! 😂 Stunning going over Great Shunner Fell but had to break trail in parts as the snow had some decent depth. Proper stacked it coming off it too lol… tough (but enjoyable) day. 

Think you chose a good day for it though, was absolutely torrential rain yesterday.

I went along the Pennine Way from Hawes down to Gearstones and back which is pretty much gravel track, rock or even tarmac all the way, so no problems actually running, although there was about 10-15cm of snow on the highest bits.  Absolutely lovely - sunny and clear so great views, but with thick snow on the top of all the hills, although there was a lot more on Wether Fell & Dodds Fell than on the higher hills to the south (Whernside, Inglebrough). Aurora visible tonight too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Moose said:

Jasmin Paris first woman to complete gruelling Barkley Marathons race https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68643341

What a fantastic achievement 👏👏

The Barkley marathon is nuts to begin with, seriously read up on the whole set up.  Barking mad.   Her achievement is fantastic.  

On 03/03/2024 at 22:38, JonM said:

Think you chose a good day for it though, was absolutely torrential rain yesterday.

I went along the Pennine Way from Hawes down to Gearstones and back which is pretty much gravel track, rock or even tarmac all the way, so no problems actually running, although there was about 10-15cm of snow on the highest bits.  Absolutely lovely - sunny and clear so great views, but with thick snow on the top of all the hills, although there was a lot more on Wether Fell & Dodds Fell than on the higher hills to the south (Whernside, Inglebrough). Aurora visible tonight too.

Ah Cam Road… found that tough when I did the Spine Challenger South the other year. I was completely pooped at 0600hrs in the morning coming off that. Completely missed the turning off the track adding a bit of distance onto the route!

It was a good day. Bit threaders with the amount of standing water between Thwaite and the A66 though. Feet were like ice blocks at times! 

One of my sons completed the Hardmoors 55 yesterday. 
55 miles ultramarathon from Guisborough finishing at Helmsley mostly run on the Cleveland Way. According to his watch he did just short of 8000 feet ascent. He was happy with his time of just under 12 hours.

He has good genes, Mrs Moose is still completing marathons well into her ???????’ies 😀

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2024 at 22:28, Bedford Roughyed said:

Now 25Kgs down.

Still failing to be consistent.  Will be trying to start some weights this week.  

28kgs down, last 6-8 weeks have been pretty much stable/plateau.  Frustrating, but I know truthfully I haven't been anywhere consistent.  Even less than before!  Humph.

• Like 2