help needed parking ticker

I am looking for opinions advise from those who have better knowledge than me

iI have driven over 30 years without one until now and am not sure if to fight it as costs will build

I parked in an NCP car park for between two and three hours with work

The machine required the car reg and I typed this in and realised I was wrong after just the first but having typed AV16 not AU16. I went to delete and the ticker printed with just the four digits. Having paid with the only cash I had and this was £3, I returned to the car and wrote the full correct reg on the ticket

Three weeks later a parking ticker went to the lease company and they forwarded this, advising they had provided my details and to take no action until I heard from NCP. The incident was late November and the ticket was issued on Nov 3. this was supported by photos of the registration taken when the car entered and left so no one would have seen the ticker

Hearing nothing I did not chase and received the ticket yesterday advising that I had not paid the discount for early payment was passed and I should either pay or hear from a debt collection agency. There is of course no address, phone or email

I can either pay £100 as I did make a small initial error  or

find an address for NCP and write and explain, advising I had not received any opportunity to comment and that I would like to appeal

do noting

tell them to take me to court but not use a debt collection agency as they should not add costs to a ,matter being taken by them to court

I don't feel happy with the first option, not just because of the cost.

the second is unlikely to lead anywhere

the third is probably stupid

let them take me to the small claims court

I favour four but if a debt collection agency and even the small claims court is involved, I could hot heavy costs that I would struggle with

Any advice. I accept there is no actual correct answer

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I once overstayed my welcome at a parking meter in Park St, Southwark around 1975  and had to pay a 50p surcharge. I've not let that happen ever again! 

What? Go to Southwark? I don't blame you. 

23 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It was a nice area back then. No footpads, pickpockets, workhouses. ....... 

It were all fields back in your day?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

17 hours ago, groundhopper said:

find an address for NCP and write and explain, advising I had not received any opportunity to comment and that I would like to appeal

^^ This

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Thanks for the replies

However my main problem is that an initial letter was either not sent, not received or just possibly filed under junk

Either way I appear to be out of time for an appeal although I will try

If they say no then I am back to accepting this or ending up with considerable costs. That is my present conundrum

39 minutes ago, groundhopper said:

Thanks for the replies

However my main problem is that an initial letter was either not sent, not received or just possibly filed under junk

Either way I appear to be out of time for an appeal although I will try

If they say no then I am back to accepting this or ending up with considerable costs. That is my present conundrum

As a non legal person you seem to have a genuine excuse and should it go to small claims you stand a good chance of winning.

Present the information to the NCP's legal / admin team and leave the ball in their court. I'd take advice from someone who knows these things but I suspect they won't go to court with anything but a watertight case as their own costs will escalate, both financial and in time. 

Edit

Do it all in writing, delivered by recorded delivery and keep copies of everything. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived