Ray French retires from Commentary

20 hours ago, M j M said:

I think this is my favourite bit of Ray commentating.

I think that's one of my favourite bits of Rugby League, ever! 

I'll never get bored of seeing it.

I was stood in the corner where Ellery touched down for that try. Unforgettable moment.

The rest of the match I'd be happy to forget though... imagine seeing a try like that and still going home despondent.

Always had a problem with Ray, maybe its me. He's done more for the game than almost anyone, knows it backwards and is passionate. But I find his voice just a boring drone with no character. Reverse the above for Davis.

appreciate ray but went on far too long on tv , bumbling, mistake ridden stuff became embarrassing . lovely guy with a great rugby brain but no ray warren.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, Bearman said:

Have a long and happy retirement Ray.

An absolute gent, I remember how supportive he was of the RL Conference and how helpful he was when we were starting Coventry Bears. He came to our first ever game away at Worcester and I had the privilege of meeting him on numerous occasions after that.

Enjoy your retirement Ray!

Spot on. He came to watch Derby City in our first few seasons and would give our ground, the Asterdale, a plug in his column just to tease people.

Lovely man and a great asset to the game. Happy retirement, Ray 

Ray French. Belongs in a category with Eddie Waring and Stevo as top RL people with an unquestionable knowledge and love of the game, but as commentators for the sport on a national stage did more harm than good. All went on far too long, unchallenged in their sinecure turning into parodies of themselves.  A shame.

Archived